Beginner: Should i buy a DSLR with a live view finder -

Status
Not open for further replies.

firelord

Jan 9, 2008
Hi pple

I thinking of getting a DSLR, but is there a need for a live view finder. like Canon 40D

Just wondering...anyway can somebody just advice what DSLR should I get for someone who is new in this.

Perhaps you can share what DSLR u using and ur recommendations.

Thanks

Hi pple
I thinking of getting a DSLR, but is there a need for a live view finder. like Canon 40D
Just wondering...anyway can somebody just advice what DSLR should I get for someone who is new in this.
Thanks
your view finder is live... you are looking through it and see what is happening... what you mean is LCD with live view.
NO, you dont need it. My D70 did not have it and i did not miss it. My D300 has it and i dont use it. for dynamic shots it is too slow and for other... i dont know why. Maybe for a static shot with a very long telelens it can be an advantage... other than that? NO.

dont waste money on LCD with live preview, get that cam that you feel comfortable with: size, the way it is in your hands, AF.

Live View is a nice-to-have.

Not a must-have.

Personally, even during the days when I used a prosumer camera, I still used the electronic viewfinder and not to LCD screen to compose shots. Now with DSLR, after some practice, I can shoot overhead shots without live-view, without worry.

And also, anytime you use the LCD screen, your camera saps up additional battery juice.

agree with the guys that Live View is good to have and not must have...my 40D have live view but still prefers the VF for stability and no shutter lag...

Live View is a nice-to-have.

Not a must-have.

Personally, even during the days when I used a prosumer camera, I still used the electronic viewfinder and not to LCD screen to compose shots. Now with DSLR, after some practice, I can shoot overhead shots without live-view, without worry.

And also, anytime you use the LCD screen, your camera saps up additional battery juice.

Agree with you bro. I don't use the live view on my prosumer too.

Live view makes it possible to compose and shoot in awkward angles or height and is useful for shooting over people's head or very low height (such as on or near the ground) or any situations which do not allow you to shoot comfortably with your viewfinder.

If you're blocked by people infront during crowded situation and you can't compose your shot with your viewfinder, live view would enable you to do so over the heads of people infront. So live view may be useful during events and stage performances.

Sometimes, you may also want to shoot and compose with your camera over your head or very low to or at the ground level to get a refreshing perspective instead of the boring eye-level shots.

If you want to take a near or at ground level shot with only the viewfinder, you can't compose without lying on the ground which may be dirty or even wet.

Macros shooting requires long period of careful focusing to achieve precision and it could be tiresome or might even need to lay on dirty/wet grounds if using the viewfinder. Live view would enable you to be more relaxed when shooting and avoid laying on the dirty/wet ground (of course, some use the right angle viewfinder attachment).

Whether Live view is useful to you depends on your own style and shooting situations you encounter.

This is going to sound a tad elitist but...
... I always thought those who are looking for live view on dslr just haven't gotten dslrs yet.

Hi pple

Thanks

If you using Canon and wants live view, you only have one "affordable" choice. Unless you are willing to spend $6k for a 1D3.

Agree with you bro. I don't use the live view on my prosumer too.

...you mean now they have prosumers with ttl viewfinder? or you mean, you only use electronic viewfinder.. that one also live view leh.. no offense meant. just so that we don't get people asking about which prosumer has viewfinder after seeing this thread.. :bsmilie:

in any case, live view is definitely useful for certain situations, not a must have but i would certainly love to have it so that i don't dislocate my neck when trying to take landscape shots with a very low perspective, or have to dirty my jeans and shirt by lying belly flat on the ground. note that this applies for like, live view with swivelling lcd also.. some situations i can think of (including the one just mentioned):

1) any shot involving awkward positioning - think macro shots, low perspective landscape shots.. hey anything to save that sprained neck
2) any shot involving impossible positioning but possible with live view - high, over the crowd, etc.. what clockunder has mentioned
3) macro shots - won't you love knowing whether your photo is indeed pinsharp, especially if you have a tripod. the viewfinder is limited after all, in such cases when the bee is not helping you either
4) certain shots involving adding a filter which effect is either rendering viewfinder unusable or not so strong in viewfinder, like using a gnd, or infrared photography. certainly it is not impossible and actually quite intuitive after a while for both examples mentioned.. but i won't mind seeing what the scene looks like even before i shoot. save shutter count you know?

that said, i think most people here would agree that live view will only be superior in certain situations. most of the time, at current technology, the refresh rate is limited.. what's the use of having a fast and responsive dslr in your hands.. when you add an additional lag in the form of live view?

PNS camera dun come with viewfinder nowadays.

if you pass your camera to anyone who does not know how to use it to take photo for you, then it's good

but lets face it, want it or not, all the new camera coming out will have LV.

Live view makes it possible to compose and shoot in awkward angles or height and is useful for shooting over people's head or very low height (such as on or near the ground) or any situations which do not allow you to shoot comfortably with your viewfinder.

If you're blocked by people infront during crowded situation and you can't compose your shot with your viewfinder, live view would enable you to do so over the heads of people infront. So live view may be useful during events and stage performances.

Sometimes, you may also want to shoot and compose with your camera over your head or very low to or at the ground level to get a refreshing perspective instead of the boring eye-level shots.

If you want to take a near or at ground level shot with only the viewfinder, you can't compose without lying on the ground which may be dirty or even wet.

Macros shooting requires long period of careful focusing to achieve precision and it could be tiresome or might even need to lay on dirty/wet grounds if using the viewfinder. Live view would enable you to be more relaxed when shooting and avoid laying on the dirty/wet ground (of course, some use the right angle viewfinder attachment).

Whether Live view is useful to you depends on your own style and shooting situations you encounter.

Truly agree...some may say that its not necessary...but it will definitely come in handy in certain critical situations.

Same goes with Dust Filter, many says its not necessary but having it will definitely alleviate the problems.

;)

Too bad, most of the live views on the DSLRs are fixed on the camera and cannot turn or tilted at an angle... Shooting from very high/low angles still require you to tiptoe/bend down accordingly...

Instead of investing so much on a camera with live view, why not buy an angle finder instead... More value for money...

I doubt so. LCD with live view is not nesscery. Yes, it's good to have but you might spend more money. If your model has it, it has it. Look at other feature before looking at live view feature.
It's good to have live view wheh you are taking those very low shot or those very high ones. You can also try angle finder.

good for situations where positioning is awkward, no need break back. :D

Hi, I personally do not use the LCD on my old camera to take awkward or upper/lower angles.

However, I do use it to have a preview of the exposure for the shot itself, so that I can make the adjustment on the spot.

Eg, I shoot in M mode, I half-press the shutter button to get the preview, and then adjust the aperture/shutter accordingly.

It's a good feature to have, esp if you are unable to gauge the exposure needed or when your camera's metering doesn't give the exposure that you want. ;p

If ur budget permits one with a Liveview, then go ahead. It is not intended to replace the viewfinder. It is not critical, but it just makes shooting abit easier for some situations. Personally I would not purposefully get one without Liveview because i think i do not need it.

There are times when i hope i can put less distance between an insect i am shooting and my big head.

Ryan

Simple sentence, Good to have not a must have.

Status
Not open for further replies.