Beginner PnS Camera

xTundrax

Oct 14, 2011
Hi everyone

I would like to start photography as a hobby. Before that, I need a camera and I hope you can help me. I have shortlisted
the canon s95 to be my first camera and heard a lot of good review about it. But recently, the s100 was released and I can't
decide whether to spend a few hundred bucks to get it. Can anyone tell me whats the pros of getting a s100 instead of the s95.
Is it worth to buy the s100? If the s100 got not much feature/advantage over the s95, then i will consider getting the s95. Thanks guys.

1) Features don't make images.
2) Check online reviews like dpreview.com to compare both models.
3) The next model (S105?) is just a year away ...

Just read any S100 review. Most will compare it to the S95.

"Crucially, the S100's three key imaging elements are all entirely new. The lens range has been extended wider and longer, to a 24-120mm equivalent 5x zoom; it retains the fast F2 maximum aperture at wideangle but is limited to a rather less-impressive F5.9 at telephoto (an inevitable consequence of the camera's compact dimensions). Secondly the S100 debuts Canon's latest DIGIC 5 image processor, which the company says is six times faster than the previous version, allowing more sophisticated image processing and noise reduction. But perhaps most significantly, the S100's image sensor is a Canon-made 12.1 MP 'high sensitivity' CMOS sensor in the 1/1.7" format (approx 7.5 x 5.5mm); only the second home-grown sensor the company has used in a compact camera after the PowerShot SX1 IS of 2008" quote dpreview opening review comments on the S100

Anyway for starting out.... u cant go wrong with either ..... but my advise is to go for the newer model as technology is moving along quickly .... the price difference is not huge either

btw enjoy your hobby :)

Last edited:
If you have better use for the money, just get the Canon S95.

Feeling liquid? Then fork out the extra bucks and get the Canon S100.

get the S100.

Get Sony HX9V .. you won't regret, it's worth it

After 1 week of thinking, i still cant consider which camera to buy. I have a budget of $400-500 and going to buy it tmr. I heard s95 is out of stock. how about lx5?

After 1 week of thinking, i still cant consider which camera to buy. I have a budget of $400-500 and going to buy it tmr. I heard s95 is out of stock. how about lx5?
We have price guides with phone numbers for reputable shops. Give them a call and you'll get the price as well.

I agree on S100.....
so far the better point-and-shoot compact I carry.... (but coming to 700 price range).
Top up your budget. its worth it.