Beginner looking for cam

Aiyahz

Jul 25, 2010
may i ask, which dslr cam is good for beginner that wanna learn using dslr? nikon d60?

Any DSLR that fits your budget is good for beginners. Know the pros and cons of each choice; some do or do not have a built-in AF motor, some do or do not have liveview (if you need it), some do or do not have built-in antishake, etc etc etc.

read the pdf file alr. still wanna get a dslr and learn :)

may i ask, which dslr cam is good for beginner that wanna learn using dslr? nikon d60?

read the pdf file alr. still wanna get a dslr and learn :)
Welcome to CS :)
A D60 is a good start coupled with the kit lens if you have a limited budget. But if you think & can be quite sure of your photography journey, do look for a better body like the D90 with the kit lens.
Photography has a steep learning curve & buying of gears never end.
And from there, find out which field interest you most & start reading up books on that area & slowly progress into perfecting the skill & then buying of gears that suit your needs.
Don't rush into it ;)

Welcome to CS :)
A D60 is a good start coupled with the kit lens if you have a limited budget. But if you think & can be quite sure of your photography journey, do look for a better body like the D90 with the kit lens.
Photography has a steep learning curve & buying of gears never end.
And from there, find out which field interest you most & start reading up books on that area & slowly progress into perfecting the skill & then buying of gears that suit your needs.
Don't rush into it ;)

thanks for your kind advice! cos i dont think i'm a hardcore photographer. just gonna get 1 for casual use and from there see the interest can lead me to where cos i'm still a student thats working part time, can't sustain such expensive hobby.

hmm looking for 2nd hand ones.. prolly less den 600/700?

hmm looking for 2nd hand ones.. prolly less den 600/700?

600-700 for the entire setup including necessary accessories? Or just for the camera + lens? Or just the camera body? And.. only Nikon?

Last edited:
A brand new Sony A230 with lens cost around $550 street price, has 15 months warranty for both body and lens, and comes with free DSLR course as well, which I think will be useful for beginners. Not to mention buying brand new cam and with so long warranty it will ease u of any problems u might encounter. Else u can keep a lookout for 2nd hand Sony a200 which can cost as little as $300 for body, or A300 for $4XX. A300 has live view, if u think that's useful.

The A230/200 has similar specs as the nikon D3000, but cheaper, especially 2nd hand price.

It really comes down to ur budget. if u wan cheap and good, then u can consider the options I've given u. if u got more budget and don mind spending, there are a lot of higher end models to choose from.

But one things for sure, there isn't a bad dslr.

Last edited:
600-700 for the entire setup including necessary accessories? Or just for the camera + lens? Or just the camera body? And.. only Nikon?

inclusive or standard items.. cos i did come across some sellers selling d60 at 400+. manyof my friends recommend nikon though idk whats the difference btw nikon and canon other than branding..

how about D50?

d50 looks decent. how much does a 1st/2nd hand cost for that?

Sony A230 seems good. and cheap too. so i assume its safe to say its worth getting this instead of nikon d60?

Canon
400D
450D
500D
550D
1000D

Nikon
D40
D40x
D60
D3000
D5000
D70
D70s
D80
D90

Sony
A100
A230
A330
A350
A380

They're all good. Just find the blend of use and value that best suits you.

Sony A230 seems good. and cheap too. so i assume its safe to say its worth getting this instead of nikon d60?

Yes, it's not bad. Built-in antishake and can autofocus with all lenses. Or if you prefer liveview, the A330 and A380 are good too.

inclusive or standard items.. cos i did come across some sellers selling d60 at 400+. manyof my friends recommend nikon though idk whats the difference btw nikon and canon other than branding..

d50 looks decent. how much does a 1st/2nd hand cost for that?

There are more brands out there, not just nikon and canon. sony, olympus and pentax all makes decent cameras.

You can try looking for a used Pentax K-x with kit lens. It uses the same sensor as the one inside Nikon D5000/D90/D300, Sony A500.

You can try looking for a used Pentax K-x with kit lens. It uses the same sensor as the one inside Nikon D5000/D90/D300, Sony A500.

Not quite... The D300 used the A700 sensor, it's not the newer technology. The D300s uses the newer Sony sensor though. :)

Not quite... The D300 used the A700 sensor, it's not the newer technology. The D300s uses the newer Sony sensor though. :)

Ok, my bad. The D300s.. But I think the D300s/D90/D5k/A500's sensor are all a modified version of the D300/A700 sensor right?

There are more brands out there, not just nikon and canon. sony, olympus and pentax all makes decent cameras.

ok.. i'll take note of it..

Yes, it's not bad. Built-in antishake and can autofocus with all lenses. Or if you prefer liveview, the A330 and A380 are good too.

jus seen them, seem abt the same excpt for abit of functions difference..

Canon
400D
450D
500D
550D
1000D

Nikon
D40
D40x
D60
D3000
D5000
D70
D70s
D80
D90

Sony
A100
A230
A330
A350
A380

They're all good. Just find the blend of use and value that best suits you.

thanks for the listing! took u much trouble!
thanks guys for helping me out, guess i'll just try to see which one i can afford with 2mths of my paycheque - 500 :(