[BEGINNER IN NEED] D3200 vs D5200

luminousshadow

Nov 15, 2013
Deep in the Sea
Hi, all

I am a new user of DSLR who plans to move on from Point & Shoot, which has proven to show limits to capture what I want.
The two candidates for my new camera are: Nikon D3200 and Nikon D5200, both of which seem like a good choice for a beginner like myself.

After some brief research, D5200 seems to have better specs than D3200 but price-wise, there is not much difference.
While I am comfortable with photo taking, I am equally worried that going for D5200 may be too unnecessary and will not help me adapt to DSLR but only confuse myself with more functions.

I would like to have your opinions on this matter (i.e. which camera is more suitable and why) :)

Cheers,
John

Regardless of what camera, you will get accustom to the buttons, menu placement and other stuffs when you use it everyday. And reading the user guide is the fastest way to get familiarize with the functions that one camera offers.

Have you visited the shops and have a feel for yourself about both cameras. That may be the fastest way to answer your question. What others think is another matter entirely. The most important thing is how YOU feel about the camera.

btw, welcome to CS.

if the price diff is not significant, it is a wiser choice to pick the 5200, the more advanced model - you may outgrow the d3200 sooner than you think. in anycase, the 5200 is still a consumer level dslr, so you should have no problem with learning its features. no worries =)

Just get the Nikon D5200. Both are idiot-proof when you use the green automatic mode. But you get more from the D5200.

Thanks all for the quick reply - I greatly appreciate your prompt and professional response :)

Just wondering - if I purchase my Nikon DSLR overseas, will I be able to repair under warranty in Singapore?

Thanks,
John

Welcome to CS;)

No. Only locally purchased Nikon camera body with Nikon Singapore warranty card qualifies for Nikon Singapore warranty.

I was in a similar situation like you in the beginning. I out grew my D7000 in less than a year. Anyway everyone of us is different in motivation and determination, we learn at different pace.

Frankly, if you have used P&S cameras & basic photography skills you will be better off with the D5200 or D7100.

Both have the Auto mode for beginners to learn. The number of buttons & dials on the D5200 & D7100 may look daunting at first but it is easy to learn. Then move on from there.

The D3200 is too limited IMHO.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the quick reply. :)

I found out that the price of Nikon D5200 with AF-S 18-55mm VR would approximately be $780 in Korea.
This is significantly cheaper than Nikon Singapore's Nikon D5200 with AF-S 18-55mm priced at $1,319.

Would it be better to buy the camera here in SG and get warranty or buy the camera from Korea at the significantly cheaper price?
This would depend on the typical cost of repair for common issues for DSLRs. (So I will need your experience and knowledge in this area once again)

Also, I will be travelling to Korea in near future to I will pick it up on the way, so delivery is not an issue.

Thanks a lot!

John

Last edited:
1) A grey set with local Sg shop warranty is about the same price in Korea or maybe even lesser. Techno Gadget is having a kit sale for SGD888. If you are buying without Nikon Sg warranty, why need to travel to Korea to buy? The prices in Malaysia is also cheaper compared to Sg, comes with Nikon Malaysia warranty too.

2) A local Nikon Sg warranty set probably is in the region SGD1000. The price you quoted SGD1319 was the MSRP price, most shops never sell at that price.

3) As with any manufactured product, there will always be a certain percentage that will have issues within the warranty date. Take your gamble. Batteries can fail. The processor board can fail. The voltage regulator board may fail. It may have shutter problems. Personally I bought two Nikon bodies plus some lenses from overseas without problems.

Last edited:
Just wondering - if I purchase my Nikon DSLR overseas, will I be able to repair under warranty in Singapore?
Warranty: No. Repair: Yes - with costs for labour and parts charged to you.

Would it be better to buy the camera here in SG and get warranty or buy the camera from Korea at the significantly cheaper price?
This would depend on the typical cost of repair for common issues for DSLRs. (So I will need your experience and knowledge in this area once again)
There is no 'better' - it depends on whether you sleep better with the feeling you can go down to a Service Center any time and get manufacturing faults (and only those!) fixed at no costs. If this does not bother you much (because chances are low) then go ahead and skip the warranty.
Some models have 'tooting issues' when released, but here it simply helps to wait and not grab the first batch off the factory. There are no common costs for issues. A new shutter for a consumer model is cheaper then one for the professional high end models, obviously. But then, they have different average life span. Canon SG has published the prices for certain service activities on the website of service center, costs for parts are never shown and will come on top if required. Nikon might have the same, just check online. But then again: it's up to you whether you go down to SC for simple cleaning jobs or you learn the DIY way (search the forum for sensor cleaning and other related small jobs). Cameras don't need regular servicing, bring them in if there is an issue.

1) A grey set with local Sg shop warranty is about the same price in Korea or maybe even lesser. Techno Gadget is having a kit sale for SGD888. If you are buying without Nikon Sg warranty, why need to travel to Korea to buy? The prices in Malaysia is also cheaper compared to Sg, comes with Nikon Malaysia warranty too.

2) A local Nikon Sg warranty set probably is in the region SGD1000. The price you quoted SGD1319 was the MSRP price, most shops never sell at that price.

Thanks a lot for the info - if that is the case I will most likely buy it in Singapore (either the kit or body):)

John

Last edited:
There is no 'better' - it depends on whether you sleep better with the feeling you can go down to a Service Center any time and get manufacturing faults (and only those!) fixed at no costs. If this does not bother you much (because chances are low) then go ahead and skip the warranty.

This still remains to be a dilemma which I haven't quite found the answer for.

Thanks a lot for your help!

John

This still remains to be a dilemma which I haven't quite found the answer for.

Thanks a lot for your help!

John
since you say there is not much price different between D3200 and D5200, than why not D5200?
you may not find flip screen useful, or video useful, but you will never know someday later you will use it often.

and very importantly, DSLR camera is not just a camera, is a system, allow you to expend when you needed, of course, you can use it as an oversize point and shoot, if you don't mind the extra weight and bulkiness.

so you have to consider carefully are you willing to take the extra weight to whereever you go, and pump in more money now and than? and also spend more time on the post, not to mention spend more money on new software and also learning to use it.

Hi luminousshadow and all the seniors,

I am a beginner to DSLR too with the same motivation to move on from Point and Shoot cameras. I don't mean to hijack the thread but why not the D5300? I just got mine this afternoon and the timing is just right as I will be heading off to Australia for a holiday this weekend.

Rather then start another thread - and my aplogies again for hijacking this thread - can I please ask for advice as to whether I should get a prime for my travels? What would be the recommendation if the resposne is 'yes'? I plan to shoot landscape, portrait and some wildlife. My D5300 comes with a AF-S 18-55mm and I bought a 55-200mm.

Thanks lots :) and oh, please do redirect me to the correct thread if necessary.

Cheers.

Rather then start another thread - and my aplogies again for hijacking this thread - can I please ask for advice as to whether I should get a prime for my travels? What would be the recommendation if the resposne is 'yes'? I plan to shoot landscape, portrait and some wildlife. My D5300 comes with a AF-S 18-55mm and I bought a 55-200mm.
Why do you think you will need a prime lens? Which prime lens? For what? Which situation do you think cannot be handled with your current two lenses? For the usual holiday pictures (and the resulting settings) your lenses are more than capable of doing the job.
Invest in knowledge and experience, then you will see what type of lens you require to do certain things. As long as you don't know it's simply: don't buy, shoot.

Last edited:
Well, of course D5300 will be always be better but perhaps TS made a choice to go for the D5200 because of budgetary reasons.

The 18-55mm kit is a very versatile wide to mid range lens and is very suitable for travel. Learn to use the lens and camera well and you will be surprised what the humble 18-55mm lens can do.

Hi luminousshadow and all the seniors,

I am a beginner to DSLR too with the same motivation to move on from Point and Shoot cameras. I don't mean to hijack the thread but why not the D5300? I just got mine this afternoon and the timing is just right as I will be heading off to Australia for a holiday this weekend.

Thanks lots :) and oh, please do redirect me to the correct thread if necessary.

Cheers.

Just keep on using that two kit lenses. It works wonders as well. Those two serves me well for the past two years before I move on to primes. The reason I go for primes is because it's small, forces me to think how to shoot with fixed focal length and use my feet to zoom.

Thanks for the fast and useful advises everyone. I will use the two kit lens and learn along the way. Thanks once again :)

Hi, all

I have decided to buy Nikon D5200 Body from Techno Gadgets and the lenses from Korea (since they get international warranty)

If anyone is wondering, the prices for each are:

D5200 Body: $736.00
AF-S 18-55mm VR: $104.00
AF-S 55-200mm VR: $210.00

Total: $1050.00

Thanks a lot for your help :)