beginner in DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

chenHaonan

Apr 19, 2005
Hi all,
I am a beginner in DSLR, may i ask what brand should i go for and why?
I am confused with a foray of comments by so many photographers. How to compare DSLR?

Pictures comparison is dependent on photography skills so i kinda dun believe everything about that. Can any kind soul here advise me on this? I am going to be a average user so my spending $ range should be around $3k.

thanks in advance

chenHaonan said:
Hi all,
I am confused with a foray of comments by so many photographers. How to compare DSLR?

Pictures comparison is dependent on photography skills so i kinda dun believe everything about that. Can any kind soul here advise me on this? I am going to be a average user so my spending $ range should be around $3k.

thanks in advance

although i just beginner, but i feel ....
canon 350d :thumbsup:
:D

cheers,
mark

i am a beginner too. I had chosen Canon as it is the biggest DSLR player and have good reputation in optics industry. It has enough $$$ to invest in future products. I see canon for wider range of lens to choose.

If you ask me to choose again I want to try Nikon because of Zeiss ... maybe in future FuJiFilm super CCD, Leica may support Nikon too .... Zeiss+Nikon+Fuji+Leica >> Canon alone.

am a newbie in photgraphy too i bought a 350D and am shooting and learning at the same time.
i firmly believe other competitors brand can produce similar good results , with good technique and knowledge about light. my 2 cents:)

chenHaonan said:
Hi all,

thanks in advance

You should be looking at what each brand offers, their lineup of lenses etc. You should be looking at their entire system which also includes flashes/whatever and see which one you like best.

Define "average user". What will you be shooting? Once you get a dSLR, you lose live LCD preview, movie recordings etc. And that $3,000 will just be the starting amount, it might be enough for you to buy a body, lens and probably a flash but you'll probably still have to spend a few thousand at least within the next few months/years on more lenses/accessories.

I suggest 20D cos even after u've improved yr skills learning the various techniques of photography, u still can use this body for more in-depth photography.

any one would do, but many considerations to think about. lens availability, integrated technologies, user interface, recording speed.

any brand would do - except konica-minolta, because they're writing off the camera division.

sehsuan said:
any one would do, but many considerations to think about. lens availability, integrated technologies, user interface, recording speed.

any brand would do - except konica-minolta, because they're writing off the camera division.
Konica Minolta sell their camera division to Sony, not write off, that still have value in it. And Sony will handle all service and support from around march onward.

I tink this question has been asked many times. Do a search...;)

For me, its a Canon. :)

chenHaonan said:
Hi all,

thanks in advance

Have you used any SLR before? Or have you handled one before? If you come from the P&S side, you must understand what you're going to lose and what you're going to gain.

Now, if you have taken pictures before, or are serious about photography, then you should know roughly what you want to do with your new dSLR. Both N&C have their strengths and weaknesses. You can do a research on them and decide whose side you want to take. You guys can flame me all you want but if I were to choose all over again, I will only consider either N or C. The reason being they are the strongest in the arena. You can't go wrong with them. Not in the near future at least and you can be sure you'll be spoilt for choice in terms of lenses and accessories.

With $3k, I suggest you get an entry level DSLR. Despite what pple say, the entry level 350D and D50 are all very capable cameras. So long as the camera take pictures the way I want it, it is a good camera and is never obsolete. And then you should be left with half of what you start with. If you want flash, then invest in a reasonable one. Use the remaining $$$ to buy a lense. Now, which lense you may ask? Get the one that you think you will use most. I cannot answer this question for you.

After that, start to save up some serious $$$. But that's up to you also because you might want to upgrade to better lenses. But you could also be like me, just a real casual person who shoots to past time so I don't have any top line equipment. I'm happy with what I have and afford. Also, I feel investing in good lenses is smarter than chasing the body technology. Good lenses don't really drop much in the resale market but I can assure you your body will be worth next to nothing after 2-3 years.

Good luck.

Regards,
JK

zcf said:
Konica Minolta sell their camera division to Sony, not write off, that still have value in it. And Sony will handle all service and support from around march onward.

Yes. And Sony is even committed to continue the R&D for DSLR (or so I read). Let's see what this giant can come up with their huge R&D budget.

Regards,
JK

Whoa! That's a nice starting budget for a beginner's DSLR set. ;p Although I personally own Canon gear, I could easily say that both Canon and Nikon can offer you a great range of equipment to choose from. If I were to start over again I would have gone through the Buy/Sell forums here. You should be able to get a nice second hand set-up of either brand for $3k. Body, lens or two, memory cards, flash, tripod, bag batteries.....

One other consideration would be the computer you plan on using for your processing. The newer DSLRs (6mp/8mp) and editing programs (Photoshop) will need a good computer set-up to keep up with your processing needs. I'm no computer Guru, and can't give you exact specs on a decent system, but I'm sure someone else here can help with that. :think:

Cheers,
-steve

EOS 35D :thumbsup:

I second steve's opinion. I will buy second hand stuff. The depriciation will be much less, if you get better next time, you can again sell it off to get the stuff you want. $3K with used equipment, you can get a relatively good body and lens.

If you start with canon, can consider the 10D or 20D with a 17-40mm f4L and a 85mm f1.8 for the start(All used).

From there you can get a very good feel of what you want and move on from there.

For me I like macro and fast lens, so I choose a macro lens and lens with at least f2.8.

Cheers

To be honest most DSLRs in the same price range offer comparable performance. There's little to really distinguish them aside from some slight differences in packaging (which includes some features).

Besides, you're asking this in a Canon forum. What kinda response do you expect?

Newbies often ask this qn expecting answers to be clear cut A's better than B etc. Sadly you have no such luck. Its like asking which is better, Coke or Pepsi? I hope you get the point I'm trying to make.

At the end of the day, any experienced user will tell you, its the photographer that matters, not the camera, in situations like this.

N.B. By packaging I refer to camera design rather than the actual box!

lightning said:
I second steve's opinion. I will buy second hand stuff. The depriciation will be much less, if you get better next time, you can again sell it off to get the stuff you want. $3K with used equipment, you can get a relatively good body and lens.

If you start with canon, can consider the 10D or 20D with a 17-40mm f4L and a 85mm f1.8 for the start(All used).

From there you can get a very good feel of what you want and move on from there.

For me I like macro and fast lens, so I choose a macro lens and lens with at least f2.8.

Cheers

That is if you have the cash to spare....i also want to buy a 17-40mm f4 L USM for my EOS 30.

Snoweagle said:
That is if you have the cash to spare....i also want to buy a 17-40mm f4 L USM for my EOS 30.

Yah, treat starter have a budget of $3K, that is why I suggested to configuration.

Personally, I would suggest a 300D w grip ($900). Like wat some mentioned, couple of yrs n the camera is worth next to nothing. Give n take a little, most of the time, you would not be able to appreciate the wonders of 10D or 20D. So might as well spend your learning curve on something simpler.

Buy 2nd hand, like wat most suggest. Stretch your $$. Tripod, memory card, flash, Bags portable HDD ... all these would come in handy. Forget about L lens, you may not be able to appreciate it as well. Go for USM or IS eg EF28-135 IS USM and 75-300 IS USM to cover your range and if you shoot wide angle Tamron 19-35 or Sigma 17-35 are great lens to have.

What do you like shooting most? All these would determine what equipment you need and soon your $3000 would be gone, even if you go 2nd hand ... Choose wisely ... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.