Before you take up a job for making extra pocket money

catchlights

Staff member
Sep 27, 2004
Punggol, Singapore
www.foto-u.com
The purpose of this discussion is to find out what are the things you should be aware when you are about to take up an assignment to make some extra pocket money for funding your newly acquired hobby.

Here is an real example of what the experienced photographers call it "oversimplify the job scope", "compensation does not meet the job requirement".

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm looking for 2-3 landscape and architecture photographers to take shots of several places like churches or fort canning. You will need to take photographs that show the best of the location. You will be assigned some places, totaling about 65-75. It is a mini assignment open to all photographers who can take excellent shots of places. Your expected remuneration is approx $80-120 depending on your profile.

Interested parties please PM me with details of yourself and your experience as well as portfolio.

Thanks!

Is that $80-120 per location or per photographer??

Is that $80-120 per location or per photographer??

I think it's most probably $80-120. it's good for student's pocket money

I think is per shot right, cos he is asking for experienced with portfolio, if it's per photographer $80 cannot even cover transport don't even talk about editing fee. Often I charge $100 per photo

I think is per shot right, cos he is asking for experienced with portfolio, if it's per photographer $80 cannot even cover transport don't even talk about editing fee. Often I charge $100 per photo

If per location @ average 70 places, plus @ $80 min = $5600 total.

All the more doubtful it's per shot. Past experience with such portals is they don't have this sort of money to throw around. I am willing to be proved otherwise.

"Experienced with portfolio" can mean many things, while the stated "mini assignment" is the key phrase here.

Anyway, I know since it's a paying job afterall it's not my place to comment much. All interested parties should do their quotation sums properly. Cheers~

I think it's most probably $80-120. it's good for student's pocket money

let say total 3 photographers has been selected, and total have 75 sites to shoot,
each photographer being assign to shoot 25 sites.

so if paying $80 (the lowest rate) for each site, the photographers could earn $2000 for shooting 25 sites,
shooting 25 sites may take up 4-5 days, if weather permit maybe can wrap up the job within a week,
not too bad, still able have some money to rent ultra wide angle lens or even a T/S lens.

but if it is paying $120 (the highest rate) to each photographers for shooting 25 sites, all I can say is very good luck to the photographer who take up the assignment.

If per location @ average 70 places, plus @ $80 min = $5600 total.

All the more doubtful it's per shot. Past experience with such portals is they don't have this sort of money to throw around. I am willing to be proved otherwise.

"Experienced with portfolio" can mean many things, while the stated "mini assignment" is the key phrase here.

Anyway, I know since it's a paying job afterall it's not my place to comment much. All interested parties should do their quotation sums properly. Cheers~

Yes, since it is a paying assignment, so the thread will stay,
and yes, agreed to foxtwo, to those who interested please work out the sum before you commit yourself into this assignment.

75 locations is huge! Should also find out how many photos are expected from each site. That will give you an indication on how much time should be spent on each location. Covering 25 locations in 4 to 5 days could be a mad rush if they are light - sensitive subjects.

I have a nagging feeling that its $80-$120 per photographer. Be careful.....

Hi all,

I'm looking for 2-3 landscape and architecture photographers to take shots of several places like churches or fort canning. You will need to take photographs that show the best of the location. You will be assigned some places, totaling about 65-75. It is a mini assignment open to all photographers who can take excellent shots of places. Your expected remuneration is approx $80-120 depending on your profile.

Interested parties please PM me with details of yourself and your experience as well as portfolio.

Thanks!

maybe you would like to be more clear about how you paying the photographer

its 65-75 locations, thats a lot! are you going to drive around the photographer??

are you paying $80 - $120 to the photographer to shoot 65-76 locations?? how you expect the photographer to go around to 65-75 location?

or is it $80 - $120 per location?

why is it that when people start commenting on their post... they dont reply anymore lol

Should be per photo.

Thats what I charge per photo for this kind of shots too. Exclusive use for one year, subsequent years non exclusive. Copyright I hold.

Hi guys,

Sorry for the confusion. Indeed the remuneration seems little to you guys. We are revising it slightly but however unable to afford what you guys are looking for. Therefore, we are looking for people who are keen to build some landscape portfolio while earning petty $. Thanks~

Hi guys,

Sorry for the confusion. Indeed the remuneration seems little to you guys. We are revising it slightly but however unable to afford what you guys are looking for. Therefore, we are looking for people who are keen to build some landscape portfolio while earning petty $. Thanks~
$80-$120 for 65 places?

Sorry, assuming transport fares at perhaps $0.70 or so per location (conservative estimate), and the photographer not caring about lighting, i.e. cover 20 locations per day from morning to night and anyhow snap without processing - $0.70 x 65 = $46. You are paying the photographer a maximum of $74 for 3 days of work, or about $25 per day. The maximum hourly rate is approximately $2. :bsmilie:

$80-$120 for 65 places?

Sorry, assuming transport fares at perhaps $0.70 or so per location (conservative estimate), and the photographer not caring about lighting, i.e. cover 20 locations per day from morning to night and anyhow snap without processing - $0.70 x 65 = $46. You are paying the photographer a maximum of $74 for 3 days of work, or about $25 per day. The maximum hourly rate is approximately $2. :bsmilie:

not to forget meals too.

$2 can only last one meal.

at least provide transport and meals to sweeten this deal.

else I think you will get monkey photographers for offering peanuts.

this job is meant for people who hold a student concession card or senior citizen concession card, or who ride a sub $100 bicycle from Giant.

for those who drive, take taxi, paying full fare on public transport or riding a $2800 folder bicycle, please let others have a chance.

I think it's a good start for new photogs who really wants to get into architecture photography. Understand that pros here see this like a peanut pay but for those who wants to get into this specific line of business they may see it as an opportunity.

I think it's a good start for new photogs who really wants to get into architecture photography. Understand that pros here see this like a peanut pay but for those who wants to get into this specific line of business they may see it as an opportunity.

it depends what kind of exposure? dun think shooting churches will get you far.