Before We Forget Photo Challenge: Win a Photojournalism Workshop with Bob Lee

xray

Jul 28, 2004
Singapore
www.hachisu.com.sg
bwf-xsmall.png

From now till 15 July, for a chance to win a Photojournalism Workshop with Bob Lee, submit your photographs to the Photo Challenge in the following categories:

1. Memory Vault – Record your parents’ or grandparents’ favourite memories of their past.

2. Till death do us part – An album of photos you would compile if your spouse is diagnosed with dementia. Submit your best 6.

3. Family Portrait – Old family photos with someone has dementia.

4. Inside Our Minds – Abstract or experimental images only.

Your contributions will go a long way in raising awareness and humanising dementia.

About Before We Forget

Before We Forget is a youth-led initiative that aims to foster conversations about dementia, and is supported by the Lien Foundation’s Life Before Death campaign.

Inspiration

Some projects by photographers inspired by dementia include: Suk Yi Yee’s Dementia, James Estrin’s Mental Twilight, Maggie Steber’s Memory, and Isa Leshko’s Elderly Animals.

Photojournalism Workshop with Bob Lee

The best five photographers win a half-day Photojournalism Workshop with Bob Lee, a renowned photojournalist who has brought numerous social issues to light. Their photographs will also be exhibited at Vivocity and Jurong Regional Library, and printed on postcards for distribution throughout Singapore.

Submission

Email your full resolution photographs to photochallenge@beforeweforget.org by 15 August 2011 with your full name, age, telephone number, and email address. Each submission is to include detailed descriptions or stories, and the submission category.

Rules of the Challenge

Read about the Rules here.

Last edited:
upz for you bro! :)

We have received a few emails asking:

Do people in my photos have to have dementia?

Answer: Only the Family Portrait theme. For the other 3 themes, there is no need to submit photos only of people with dementia.

Another question gets answered:

Can I decide on the method of presentation? Can I submit a set of images to be viewed together?

Answer: Yes (for any theme)! And especially for Till Death do Us Part, entries must be in a set of 6 photos.

Deadline extended to 15 August!

omg yay. i nearly passed this one on cause of time constraints :x

now can take time to shoot this.

Just a reminder to all. The Photo Challenge deadline is 15 August, which is less than 2 weeks' time.

The selected photographs will be exhibited at VivoCity from 30 August - 8 September and at Jurong Regional Library from 1 September - 30 September.

Thanks for everyone for sending your photographs in for the Before We Forget Photo Challenge. The Challenge is now closed for entries.

We will be announcing the winners before 29 August. Winners of the Challenge will be notified by email, and selected photographs from the Challenge will be displayed at 2 exhibitions: VivoCity South Avenue (30 August - 8 September), and at Jurong Regional Library main lobby (1 September - 30 September).

Meanwhile, take a look at the stories people have shared on www.beforeweforget.org, and like us on Facebook.

After going through more than 50 submissions to the Photo Challenge, we have selected two winning entries and two runner-ups.

This decision is made based on the strength of the stories behind the photographs and aesthetic quality. Only four participants were selected as the other entries did not meet these expectations.

All four selected participants win a half-day Photojournaliam Workshop with Bob Lee, an award-winning photojournalist.

Both winning entries were of grandmothers – Jeffrey Liam, 39, submitted a photo essay, and Ng Kai Jie, 24, submitted a portrait. Runners-up Tan Hwee Ting and Hendry Poh submitted an old family portrait and an abstract interpretation respectively.

The winning entries will be exhibited at three locations while the runners-up will be exhibited at Jurong Regional Library for the month of September. A photograph from both winners will be printed on postcards to be distributed across Singapore.

jeffreyliam3x.jpg

Winner | Jeffrey Liam: The Lamp
This photo of my aunt putting my grandmother to bed reminds me of the nights when grandmother used to go through 4D lottery results by the light of a kerosene lamp on her table.

jeffreyliam1x.jpg

When I photographed grandma, I thought: What is she thinking? How does she feel? It gave me a sense of void, a sense of peace, a sense of being in between states where everything is incomprehensible.

jeffreyliam4x.jpg

Our help is Muna and she is from Indonesia. While family support is important, taking care of a person with dementia is difficult and would in our case require a full time, experienced nurse.

jeffreyliam2x.jpg

These old photos show grandmother’s third son, Tiam Hock. He passed away many years ago. When I found these photos in her bedroom drawer, almost all the photos were of him.

ngkaijiex.jpg

Winner | Ng Kai Jie: Remembering Grandma
Grandma was happiest during Chinese New Year. She would sometimes think that it’s that time of the year and hurry to get her red packets. She passed away in my arms on the first day this Chinese New Year. Read his story.

###

Read more about the results and view the photographs from the runners-up here.

Visit www.beforeweforget.org for more photos, videos and stories.