before the storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonboncat

Dec 2, 2006
IMG_3692.jpg

does the photo convey the mood?

hmmz.. well.. if there wasn't the patch of brightness on the top left, i would say yeah.. it sorts of conveys the mood. haha. but when u say 'before the storm' pple would think 'wow..dark menacing clouds, never ending into the distance' u know..the type u see in movies. yeah..it's exaggerating a little, but.. can i ask u sth? did u stay for the storm? haha. was it all lighting the rain?;)

I believe this shot will look better in B&W and with some darkening of the edges of the frame.

hmmz.. well.. if there wasn't the patch of brightness on the top left, i would say yeah.. it sorts of conveys the mood. haha. but when u say 'before the storm' pple would think 'wow..dark menacing clouds, never ending into the distance' u know..the type u see in movies. yeah..it's exaggerating a little, but.. can i ask u sth? did u stay for the storm? haha. was it all lighting the rain?;)

actually was caught in the rain, so didn't manage to shoot a lot of photos in that area, :confused: luckily not a lot of lightning........

well..some say bad weather is the best for photo taking.;)
and i agree too, b&w might be better since the shot kinda lacks the colour. u might consider doing up the contrast too.

Ok, before I say anything, I'm NO pro - just a keen hobbyist.

The tree, the dark clouds, the forground rocks and rocky shoreline, they are nice elements and subjects, but I feel the line of distant trees of another shoreline cutting across the whole composition, ruined it all.

Also, I would want to look for alternative angles, recompositions, and there is some over-exposures on upper left corner - bright portion of sky.

On the whole, the picture is (for lack of a kinder expression) rather stiff..

At the onset, I saw the tree first, then I was disrupted by the horizon of trees cutting across it. Personally, I avoid putting things smack in the center.. Unless its some pretty girl...hehehehe...

is it about the tree or the sky? its neither here nor there. maybe u want to use the tree silhouette and the rocks to frame the sky, if so, then the tree is in the wrong position ... etc etc

To me, if it was to portray before a storm, then I guess putting the sky as the subject in a greater proportion of the frame would do better. Since a storm is coming, what we might be looking out for is what the title is talking about.

As such, in this case the tree made me looked around its branches for an impending storm which meant the subject placement is wrong. =)

very grateful for all the honest and helpful comments, will learn from it. thanks :)

i think its best to do a short writeup on what you are trying to portray in this image, together with the technical information of this image...

please read the guidelines.

The rock distracts me, the tree is ok but the sky is not 'stormy' enough for the title...

Status
Not open for further replies.