before it gets thorn down

junh87

Dec 21, 2009
IMG_5921.jpg

this is queenstown bowl building. went on a documentary shoot at margret drive last month. wanting to capture a part of my childhood before the whole area gets redeveloped.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
a)because this photo is not taken straight, the lines painted on the building is not horizontal with the ground alignment. making the photo look slanted. hoping for advice to correct this.
b)as you can all see, the lady appear to be standing on the stool. cuz i have no other frame on this, any way to help her off the stool? i.e. my postprocessing composition

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
capture some memories of this area before it gets thorn down.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
it was a very bright and glaring day. hard to judge the exposure even on the lcd.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the pictures
this place holds a special place in my heart. the wood hides the former kfc. my first recollection of fast food. photographically, i quite like how the colours turn out, giving it a vintage feel.

If you're going to record an old building ( for nostalgic purposes ) before it's being demolished, pls do record a complete building perhaps includes some of its surrounding.

It will certainly bring back memories, but not like this...just segment of a building.
It will be like a piece out of the whole jigsaw puzzle.

You could look at the distortion correction if you like to ensure a matching set of lines. But it may not be an easy task if the ground is already slanted or sloping in the first place.

LOL! ya, it should be torn!!

the weird thing is the ground is level, and judging by the posture of the lady, the ground is flat! meaing the building is tilted?

ya, whole building is a good idea, i have other shots of that. its shot is mainly to show the now abandoned kfc and how the whole estate is, like the the lady, walking in its last bit of light.

LOL! ya, it should be torn!!

the weird thing is the ground is level, and judging by the posture of the lady, the ground is flat! meaing the building is tilted?

if you look at the 2 horizontal lines on the building...they are not aligned horizontally......if you align them, then the tree will not be vertical...haha...did you try to rotate slightly and see if it's alright?

Last edited:
ya, tried, then the ground is slanted and the lady seems to do the michael jackson dance where he leans over! haha!!

Ya, my grandma lives near there before moving off so I oftenly visit there in the past (Sadly government strikes and many buildings around there with nices shop have to demolish and shift). It brings back memories when there is a cinema there and my dad brought me and my sis to watch titanic when we are young :D. About the KFC there, it's my worst KFC nightmare where I have bad stomach upset after eating it...

Regarding photo critics, I would suggest you to try doing a series of shots rather than one (preferable one with the building name on it). Also regarding such photos, it will be better to archieve memories rather than producing artisitc views. Just ask yourself if the memories of your childhood is more important or a photo with good critics? A good example would be this (http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=665946). The vintage feel is a good try.

agree with wootsk. needs to make the place more easily identifiable . Building names.

your photo gives me the impression of a person waiting for someone else infront of an old building.

agree with rest of guys. cant tell it is queenstown bowl.