Beepity Beepity Beep...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfgang

Apr 29, 2002
Riddle Realms
wolfgang.clubsnap.org
Hi All,

Just realised that my mobo is emitting a continuous beep and the whole CPU seemed to have frozen up. Tried re-booting my system and it works fine but after awhile, it will hang again.

I'm running Win XP on a P4 2.6 GHz chip with 1.5 gig of ram...

Anyone has any idea at all whats going on? I have checked but it doesnt seem to be a spyware/virus issue....

:sweat:

check temp. mobo manual sometime can tell you what the continous beep means. diff beep is a diff warning signal.

check if the thermal conducting paste btw your fan and chip is dried up.

It could be the RAM. Just check to ensure that your cpu fan is running. Go one step at a time. Normally the beep is caused by a faulty RAM but from my experience it will be 2 or 3 beeps instead of a continous one. Since you are able to reboot your pc and run it for a while I think it could be overheating. This is a cheap problem. If it is motherboard or CPU then it is going to cost more.

Zekai/jbma;

Thanks for the speedy reply. My CPU fan is spinning and the temp is hovering around 45 - 49 degs so far... Should be normal for a CPU? :dunno:

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
do a search for your mobo bios beep code... depending which bios you are using, the beep code will indicate which error.

Hmm.. from the beep code, its either memory or cpu so i'll keep an eye out for either and see what happens. :)

Thanks guys! :)

I suspect your ram got problem.. try remove a few stick..;)

Wolfgang said:
Zekai/jbma;

Thanks for the speedy reply. My CPU fan is spinning and the temp is hovering around 45 - 49 degs so far... Should be normal for a CPU? :dunno:
No problem man. You can try what erazai suggested. How many sticks of RAM do you use. Try removing them and just use one. Swap them after each boot. You may just find the culprit. PM me if you need help.

i have 4 sticks... 2 sticks of 256 and 2 sticks of 512... All from Kingston, all running at 400.

They are slotted in this order:

1 256, 1 512, 1 256, 1 512...

Thats ok right? :)

My bios set up can detect all of them...

Have you over clocked? some time even same brand that diff batch can conflict too.. too many OEM..:(

I suggest you try a pair of 512 first and then followed by a pair of 256. At least this will determine if the RAM is faulty. If everything works fine then it could either be CPU or MB.

How long have you had it running? Could it be that the round battery on your mobo needs to be changed? Just a guess.

eh...seankyh got a point. i suspects its the CMOS batt on the mobo. dat thing powers the internal clock, IIRC.

nightwolf75 said:
eh...seankyh got a point. i suspects its the CMOS batt on the mobo. dat thing powers the internal clock, IIRC.

normally the battery does not harm the system, it just loses the date feature, and or the information in the bios...

seldom will have problems like this...

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
normally the battery does not harm the system, it just loses the date feature, and or the information in the bios...

i kenna once b4. also couldn't figure out until my fren came by my place, pop open the cover, remove the batt... problem solved. :bsmilie:

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:

Agree 100%

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:

The CMOS batt wont cause my PC to hang right? :sweat: :dunno:

Wolfgang said:
The CMOS batt wont cause my PC to hang right? :sweat: :dunno:

unless u drop you case before, den the battery dislodge, den 1 side touch the battery holder, 1 part touch the PCB.

or some wire stripped den touch 1 side on the battery, another on the PCB.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
unless u drop you case before, den the battery dislodge, den 1 side touch the battery holder, 1 part touch the PCB.

or some wire stripped den touch 1 side on the battery, another on the PCB.

Thankfully, thats not the case... :sweat:

Any has any idea whats the optimum CPU region temperature, relative to the room temperature?

My usual CPU temp, as mentioned earlier in this post was ard the 42-49 deg. cel. range.. But at this moment, its hovering around 51 - 55 deg cel.

:sweat: :bigeyes:

Is that even normal?

I tried launching another program and out of the blue, the screen starts to flicker on and off and then it says no sync... :sweat:

This is beginning to freak me out man... :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.