Bee or wasps? Or neither?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Apr 27, 2002
www.asianhomebiz.com
Shot some time back at SBG. Not sure what it is but its eyes glows green (t-shaped) when flashed. Macro photo? Me still a long long way to go.

mphil

Jan 23, 2002
Visit site
This is an Oriental fruit-fly. You can see the halteres in pic #2. For those not in the know, halteres are the 2nd pair of wings (or what's left of them anyway). The diff btw bees and flies are bees have 2 pairs of wings while flies have one pair and the halteres. This particular fruitfly is considered a pest and their larvae are usually responsible for destroying fruits, and in the past have been known to cause huge losses to fruit farms all over. I guess agriculture is not a big thing in urban Singapore, so this fly is not considered a pest here.

Sgt. Pepper

Jun 30, 2003
Visit site
mphil is right, it's a fruit fly, Melon fly to be exact.
It's not very easy to photograph this guy as it keeps on moving around and they like to stay in shaded areas. :)

FujiS2

Deregistered
Sep 21, 2003
www.sgbug.org
opps, really? it just look like the yellow jacket waps. :dunno:

mphil

Jan 23, 2002
Visit site
Sorry Sgt Pepper, it is an Oriental Fruitfly and not a melon fly. Altho they are in the same genus, D. dorsalis is different from D. cucurbitae
Look here for pix of D.cucurbitae. Have seen enough of the Oriental fruitfly to know one when I see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.