Status
Not open for further replies.

huoyun

Sep 24, 2006
Tampines
www.flickr.com
took this shot on a trip to the reservoir. pls feel free to comment:

DSC_0344_clubsnap.jpg

If you want me to be honest, it's pretty bad and snapshot-like.

Discounting any sentimental (this is a wild guess) reasons you may have for shooting this, the lack of color and general monotony of this photo is glaringly obvious. Maybe you might want to shoot a little higher and include something else next time.. Other than boring water (if only it was more colorful, or had some reflection, perhaps) and floating balls..

Besides, I note this really distracting thing at the top left corner. =/

It's a snapshot. Why focus on that, not on the boat? If you wanted reflections of the clouds, an empty stretch of water would have worked better. Also OOF.

no objects for viewers to focus on. :)

the objects in the picture is too shattered
its like distinctly
1.the two balls.
2.the boats.
3. more balls.
4. weird space at the top left hand corner.

mayb u could try focusing on one subj that u want to capture.
:)
keep on trying! :D

if the subject is the reflections in the water, it can be a picture. The boat then is a supporting cast and not the main actor in the scene. But then I think the time of day was wrong and there was nothing interesting in the reflections anyway. Maybe a sunrise or sunset, or a very cloudy situation may work in such a composition. But you have to work to make to create adequate contrast to the reflections ... u need to have taken and work on such reflections to understand what I am talking about. For example see this pic of mine.

PS: I dont understand what the critics meant by "snapshot" but what I think they meant is that you were not deliberate in your composition. I do not see that it was entirely "snapshot" as it is apparent that some thoughts were put into the positioning of the elements. The shortcoming is more the selection of subject.

hi everyone, thanks for all your feedback.

espion, you were right on my intention to capture some coloured reflections in the water. i guess there weren't enough colours in the sky? saw ur pic, the mirror-like reflection is awesome :cool:

berisshock, thanks, guess i could work more on the composition from your point(4) :)

moving forward, how can i improve on the picture?
1) composition - crop away the balls after the boat?
2) colors - achieve richer reflections in the water?
3) focus
4) anything else?

see more good pics, shoot more, self critique more ...

Status
Not open for further replies.