Bedok Reservoir Sunrise / Sunset

hyyd87

Oct 10, 2008
Bedok Reservoir Sunrise / Sunset w/ my friends last Sat......

filters used:

Kenko Zeta CPL (B+W maybe better)
Lee GND 0.9 soft
Lee GND 0.6 soft
Hitech reverse GND 0.9

682621_1273495966.jpg

682621_1273581297.jpg

682621_1273396701.jpg

682621_1273290737.jpg

682621_1272982023.jpg

Very nice!

Bedok Reservoir Sunrise / Sunset w/ my friends last Sat......

filters used:

Kenko Zeta CPL (B+W maybe better)
Lee GND 0.9 soft
Lee GND 0.6 soft
Hitech reverse GND 0.9

682621_1273495966.jpg

682621_1273581297.jpg

682621_1273396701.jpg

682621_1273290737.jpg

682621_1272982023.jpg

Nice Nice:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hi TS, where did you get your hands on the Hitech reverse grad? and for how much. Very keen to know any cheaper solution for reverse grad compared to Singhray.

i can't say i like the compositions in these - the main problem here lies with the foreground in all the pictures, save the third one.

that and the fact that the gnd usage seems a bit too strong. take for example #1, the reflection of those trees is brighter than the actual thing - that's not desirable.

i can't say i like the compositions in these - the main problem here lies with the foreground in all the pictures, save the third one.

that and the fact that the gnd usage seems a bit too strong. take for example #1, the reflection of those trees is brighter than the actual thing - that's not desirable.
Thanks for ur comment, any diff voice is welcome, but state ur view in detialed maybe better: what's wrong with foreground? too unorderly? Or should take more lower postion to shoot? Thanks in advance.

Thanks for ur comment, any diff voice is welcome, but state ur view in detialed maybe better: what's wrong with foreground? too unorderly? Or should take more lower postion to shoot? Thanks in advance.

it's just... there.

there is no thought in arrangement, the foreground is there for the sake of there having a foreground.

i don't have a bigger picture of the whole scene, so asking for more detailed comments is perhaps asking too much of me. what i *can* show you, however, are good examples of foreground compositions done well:

http://www.davidclapp.co.uk/image_gallery.php?image_subcat=The Sea - Vertical

http://www.davidclapp.co.uk/image_gallery.php?image_subcat=The Sea - Horizontal

be it leading lines (vague or obvious), strong anchor element, textures, all these have a lot of thought put in, and that is why the composition is much stronger.

TS, can i ask how can you make the water reflection so "shining" and reflective? I used b+w nd110 and shoot long exposure shots quite often but while i get calm water, but not so "shining" one....apppreciate yr advice!

it's just... there.

there is no thought in arrangement, the foreground is there for the sake of there having a foreground.

i don't have a bigger picture of the whole scene, so asking for more detailed comments is perhaps asking too much of me. what i *can* show you, however, are good examples of foreground compositions done well:

be it leading lines (vague or obvious), strong anchor element, textures, all these have a lot of thought put in, and that is why the composition is much stronger.

emmm, very sharp but objective advice! thanks, pls come here to give more suggestion, ur criticism is my motivity

How about below pictures? any insufficiency?

682621_1267106459.jpg

682621_1255762622.jpg

682621_1255530728.jpg

Hi TS, where did you get your hands on the Hitech reverse grad? and for how much. Very keen to know any cheaper solution for reverse grad compared to Singhray.

TK foto, 2nd floor in shaw tower, but it will be moved to Funan this month, Hitech reverse GND's price is SGD140...

i stay ard the reservoir for 23years
wahahahaha i didnt know the water here is so clear LOL
time to rediscover the neighbourhood!
nice colors! ;p

Last edited:
TK foto, 2nd floor in shaw tower, but it will be moved to Funan this month, Hitech reverse GND's price is SGD140...

AHaha, thank you for sharing! I just learnt of this reverse GND thing. So sua ku! hahaha.

Anyway, your photos are competently taken but like what some have already said, the composition can be improved upon. Keep shooting!

it's just... there.

Sorry to TS for using thread, but this is great stuff. Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

I had the same feel; the pictures of TS are nice but I felt the foreground is weak; as in just put in a foreground for the sake of a foreground. I myself have this problem so I am unable to help but I can see the difference in the examples night86mare has posted.

In such cases, I'm not sure whether it would be better to recompose, move away to find a better anchor or simply leave out (last option should not be a choice if I am learning how to anchor something strongly). There's too much water area to work with in TS's picture between the anchors and the horizon lines. I am going to think about it and hopefully improve; thanks again to the goat for pointers :thumbsup:

TS, can i ask how can you make the water reflection so "shining" and reflective? I used b+w nd110 and shoot long exposure shots quite often but while i get calm water, but not so "shining" one....apppreciate yr advice!

Emmm, thanks for ur comment first, maybe a clear w/o wind weather is the precondition, then use CPL to remove unwanted light...

i stay ard the reservoir for 23years
wahahahaha i didnt know the water here is so clear LOL
time to rediscover the neighbourhood!
nice colors! ;p

Thanks!

Sorry to TS for using thread, but this is great stuff. Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

I had the same feel; the pictures of TS are nice but I felt the foreground is weak; as in just put in a foreground for the sake of a foreground. I myself have this problem so I am unable to help but I can see the difference in the examples night86mare has posted.

In such cases, I'm not sure whether it would be better to recompose, move away to find a better anchor or simply leave out (last option should not be a choice if I am learning how to anchor something strongly). There's too much water area to work with in TS's picture between the anchors and the horizon lines. I am going to think about it and hopefully improve; thanks again to the goat for pointers :thumbsup:

Good discussion, thank u, welcome!

AHaha, thank you for sharing! I just learnt of this reverse GND thing. So sua ku! hahaha.

Anyway, your photos are competently taken but like what some have already said, the composition can be improved upon. Keep shooting!

Thanks!

fantastic shots man!

Thank u