becareful of airplane overhead compartment

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW! thanks for giving us a head up on this incident. Glad your lens survived.

be careful of putting camera on airplane overhead compartment, even with camera bag.

This happen to my 18-200, mounted on my camera.

Check this out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ongbenghui/3109807735/

my B+W filter is all smashed up. But the lens survived.

Tubulence or some idiots put their heavy stuff over your bag? There were times the steward, stewardess or the passengers just dump their heavy gifts or luggage over my bag... Damn...:angry:

good thing lens aint broken

Wat bag are u using to house the cam and lens and how did u placed it? With your front cap on, how did it get smashed up like this? :think:

i always stow my camera bag under the seat on airplanes. much safer i reckon.

i always stow my camera bag under the seat on airplanes. much safer i reckon.

Me too

No no for overhead compartment :nono::nono:

Sad to see what happened. Which brings up the question: does it need a filter? Obviously the lens can stand the bump, the filter cannot.
Usually I put my backpack (with cam inside) upright into the overhead compartment. Saves space and nothing can get 'dumped' on top. Sometimes I put it under the seat if I want to reach it quickly.

thanks for the heads up, i'll hug my gears from now on! :cool:

my friend sent lens via post and the filter also "bursted" or cracked as the box was not padded. only bubblewarp the lens for 2layers.
luckily lens is ok. :)

More light on how it happen would be useful. Did someone cause your bag to drop? Did someone bang his/her bag (hard one) into your bag? or was it cause by the temperature difference when at high altitude?

Pardon me but I cant figure out what happens.

Sorry to hear that happening to your lens. But how did it happen? Did you just put in the compartment?:think:

Glad that your lens survived... B+W saved the day, eh? Thanks for the info! I shall hug my gear from now onwards!

That kind of damage is only possible from dropping the lens.

But thought infront of the filter there's still a lens cap?
Still couldn't figure out how the filter will crack. :eek:
In future just place your camera under the seat or hug it, that's what i always do.

Last edited:
When in an aircraft my camera gear is always under the seat in front of me, never in the overhead compartment.
Just be aware that you can't do that for the first rows following a section break or the emergency rows - nothing is permitted under the seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.