Beautiful Schnauzer

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeppie99

Feb 26, 2002
community.webshots.com
A picture taken during the dog show held at SICC.

'Scanned' from Provia 100F using Casio 2900UX. Canon EOS 30 + 50mm/f1.8. Settings F1.8 Shutter unknown. Retouched using EdgeSharpen and NoiseRemoval by StreetShooter.

dog1.jpg

Comments welcomed.

maybe it would have been better if it's in portrait instead of landscape? or crop off the sides...
one of my favourite breed of dogs!

Nice pic, Eevee look nice in this shot. She won a third prize in a fancy dress Competition in the dog show this year. Not to mention her Louis Vuitton leash.. $240.00 leh.. :eek: keke

yeppie,

Using f1.8 at so close distance may get u lack of DOF. I understand that you wanted to blur the background. But be careful with wide open, most lens does not deliver the best performance when wide open. A smaller aperture (say f4/5.6) would bring you sharp dog with more detals of full body AND a blur background. Meantime, I prefer it's in portrait (vertical) mode so the background would not be as distractive.

How do u think?
Tom

No offence but I disagree about using a larger aperture as Tomshen says. Well u can, but why not f/1.8 if it calls for it? You just have to be more cautious with where you focus given the shallow DOF. Although it's true that lenses don't perform well at their largest aperture, that's only a comparison with their performance at smaller apertures. For prime and L lenses, I've gotten marvellous results most of the time when I do wide open aperture shots.

The question is more of how you want to portray the dog, or any subject for that matter, and then decide the type of lens to use. Then comes the aperture to use. Followed by what do you want to focus on?

Hi David,

I found it looks more natural to ME (or anyone else?) to have the whole dog's face in focus. The body of a dog usually stretches in 3D therefore a large aperture that works on human portrait does not apply exactly the same way at here. I did a lens test with 70-200 shooting some flowers very closely last time. The result shows the most pleasing shots were at f8 and higher. The best are f16 and f22. B4 the test I always intended to use shallow DOF with my 70-200. This reminded me why I got many blur shots of animals/birds b4. It's not because of shutter speed but the lack of DOF. My conclusion is: Don't go too agressively in using wide aperture when very close to the subject. In this case, a smaller aperture with larger DOF would be just nice to bring out all the dog's face in focus, IMO.

Tom

tom,
i agree with you. i have this habit of using wide open when not using flash so that i can get the fastest shutter. i agree with the part abt the lens not performing its best when wide open, esp for a 'low' end lens like this one. i think the lack of DOF is not that apparant here, like it would be in macro shots perhaps? in this case i feel i did the right thing by using f1.8 because if u view this shot on the slide, the dog really pops out at you! furthermore this whole shot looks blur considering i did not scan it using the proper scanner.

look forward to shooting with you again :)

hehe, 50mm/f1.8 low end? u will be getting flamed;) hey, i will be shooting in JBP this Sunday, come?

Originally posted by tomshen
hehe, 50mm/f1.8 low end? u will be getting flamed;) hey, i will be shooting in JBP this Sunday, come?

nah dun think so. i haven't gotten back my 400/5.6 so i'll be shooting with 50mm. besides got other commitments too. y dun u go for tomorrow's BG outing?

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the feedback. You have a point. But I feel there's no hard and fast rule to say why you should or shouldn't preferably stay f/4 or smaller aperrtures. Sometimes how large you want to go with the aperture depends also on the composition, as you indirectly commented (body of dog...) On a similar note, I used to think wrongly that in macro shots, you must always use f/22 to get everything in focus cos you're already so close. True for some instances, but exceptions always exist in photography.

Personally, I've shot f/2 on a telephoto and I get solid bokeh and the animal virtually jumps out at the viewer bcos of the very selective focusing. I don't care if the lens didn't perform as well as it can at f/4 or even f/8 cos the relative sharpness in the subject is telling. It doesn't matter that not all of the animal is in focus.

Of cos, it depends on how you want to portray the animal or subject as I mentioned above in terms of composition and my previous posting. For eg, if you want to show to your friends or others how adorable your pet dog is, you probably want more DOF and more body, in which case you want to consider a smaller aperture -- precisely the point you're making.

Much said, I'm a bit puzzled about your blurred shots bcos of large apertures. From my experience, it is possible for slight camera shake to cause an apparent blame on the large aperture used and lens not performing well. In which case you will see none of the subject in focus, especially the region outside the field of sharpness, eg the background.

But assuming you are sure it's not a "shutter speed too low" problem, then it's even harder to understand why your shots came out blur. No matter how large the aperture you use, there must be one point that is sharpest, which is of cos the point you focus on.

A possible reason I can think of is that the animal might have moved a little (rem DOF is very limiited at wide open). Another is that you didn't focus at the exact point you want, especially if you use AF or your eyesight is not properly corrected. (No offence but I've read a few instances where pple claim their pictures become sharper after they change their glasses.) Even then, you should get at least a region of sharpness in your subject instead of blur.

David, thanks for your reply:) I was shooting those dogs with yeppie and other friends that day so i know he was very close to the dogs sometimes. And I did check that he was using f1.8 in that case therefore I told him the matter about lack of DOF. I am not very clear about what is the key reason for the slightly blurness in the above dog shot but I do think he (and the rest of us) should pay some attention to the wide aperture when shooting closely.

Myself is a fan of shooting wide open. You may have seen many posts by me shooting at f2.8 with 70-200. And I love the effect of making the main subject outstanding. But back to the point again: be careful in using wide open or large apeture when shooting CLOSELY unless the subject is flat. The flower test I mentioned above was a group of four flowers with slightly 3d distribution and my camera was about 2m away on tripod. I fired a number of shots from f2.8 to f22. And shockingly, only f8 and above got in focus. The rest manifested the same problem i had with aminals/birds in the same condition. I haven't finished a complete lens test of all my gears and I think it would be soon. Maybe at that time i can answer this question more exactly.

Once again, david, thx for your feed back and welcome to discuss with me regarding this matter;)

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.