Beautiful Eyes

garian

Aug 27, 2008
1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Exposure, Contrast and Skin tone

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
To portray the slight mysterious feel of the model's face with the eyes shown only.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Mid day hot and bright sunlight after drizzling, feeling tired and dehydrating.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Personally felt that it wasn't good enough to bring out the shine on the eyes, exposure maybe too bright.
Believe a ring flash should be better? For bringing out the shine.

Thank you in advance to brothers and sisters for any valuable c&c. :cry:

IMG_0304-2.JPG

technically a good image but, watch out for those reflective surfaces used as a prop as it can cast an ugly hue to the main subject. In this case due to the reflection of the blue cloth, the talent face has an ugly blue cast. just my 2 cent

cookisnap said:
technically a good image but, watch out for those reflective surfaces used as a prop as it can cast an ugly hue to the main subject. In this case due to the reflection of the blue cloth, the talent face has an ugly blue cast. just my 2 cent

Thanks for the tip bro. Will take note during future shoots. ;)

Hi bro...

the skin tone is off.. probably it is due to inaccurate white balance...

to achieve ur objective, the viewer attention should be drawn to the eyes... but in this image, it is not. coz u have blown highlights, the "out of place" blue cloth and so on...

Beautiful eyes, but the skin tone is quite pale..

is it the make up or the eyes are unsharp?

mtunlinn said:
Hi bro...

the skin tone is off.. probably it is due to inaccurate white balance...

to achieve ur objective, the viewer attention should be drawn to the eyes... but in this image, it is not. coz u have blown highlights, the "out of place" blue cloth and so on...

Thanks bro, will take note white balance error. Harsh sunlight plus fill in flash probably diffuse the blue cloth color on her face.

rousnake said:
Beautiful eyes, but the skin tone is quite pale..

Her makeup and my flash probably increased the pale. But she is very fair skin originally.

Chronos3 said:
is it the make up or the eyes are unsharp?

Make up is rather thick, eyes when I zoomed in is quite sharp. Perhaps the contact lens which enhances pupil made the eyes looked blur. Just my guess.

Hey, I think that the colours on the image and the brightness does not contribute to the feel you want to achieve, which is mysterious if im not mistaken. If you look closely, you can see that the front of the face is of a different skin tone compared to the skin at the back of the face which may be because you used a flash in front of the cloth? I also feel you could have covered more of the face with the cloth :) Just my two cents on this .
/?

Joel Immanuel said:
Hey, I think that the colours on the image and the brightness does not contribute to the feel you want to achieve, which is mysterious if im not mistaken. If you look closely, you can see that the front of the face is of a different skin tone compared to the skin at the back of the face which may be because you used a flash in front of the cloth? I also feel you could have covered more of the face with the cloth :) Just my two cents on this .
/?

Thanks Joel, yes I believe the blue cloth cast the blue on her face. Other fellow members commented that too. I will try your suggestion to cover more of the face for mysterious feel in future shoots. :)

Too much highlights.. I think that's the main problem which causes the rest

Too much highlights.. I think that's the main problem which causes the rest

thanks Michelle for the tip. i will take note. you got many nice works there that feels like in a dream. :D

This photo looks very dreamy but like what everyone else here had pointed out - her skin tone is a little weird.
I actually don't get why she wants to over her mouth with the blue fabric though. :| The photo does invoke a sense of mystery but I can't really connect with it on a personal level. Sorry. :(

broylim said:
This photo looks very dreamy but like what everyone else here had pointed out - her skin tone is a little weird.
I actually don't get why she wants to over her mouth with the blue fabric though. :| The photo does invoke a sense of mystery but I can't really connect with it on a personal level. Sorry. :(

Thanks bro. Skin tone is a major problem for me to adjust to. Perhaps I should pp it to a little warmer color. The cloth is actually part of her clothing, no prop that day. :(

May I ask if anyone could advice me skintone should be same color as the subject or there is a certain level of color to represent skintone? I am still quite confuse what could be a good skintone. Thank you in advance, hope to improve myself further.

Accurate skin tones = as long as it looks pleasing and natural. Look at your original photo, her hands are yellow but her face is pink with slight blu-ish tint.

IMG_0304-2.JPG

5 mins play in Photoshop, you can easily equalize the skin tones on her face by blending layers... look more natural that way.

p/s: drop me a PM if you want me to remove the edited pic.

Last edited:
yrh0413 said:
Accurate skin tones = as long as it looks pleasing and natural. Look at your original photo, her hands are yellow but her face is pink with slight blu-ish tint.

5 mins play in Photoshop, you can easily equalize the skin tones on her face by blending layers... look more natural that way.

p/s: drop me a PM if you want me to remove the edited pic.

Oh my, all along I have been shooting blindly without noticing the skintone difference. So many million thanks to you bro for showing the light. I will keep this pic as a reference and remind myself. You may remove it if is fine with you. Thanks so much again :D