Beach shot at Bintan

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrericlee

Sep 27, 2008
Singapore
Hi Guys,

Please C&C on this pic on composition.

I was not able to get good contrast on the pic between sky and sand but that was the actual conditions that I was not able to control. Besides a CPL, any other ideas?

img3026nr5.jpg

I would like feedback on photography techniques.

The following is the camera settings used to photograph this picture:
# Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 1/20 second = 0.05 second
# Lens F-Number/F-Stop = 13/1 = F13
# ISO Speed Ratings = 200
# Original Date/Time = 2009:02:06 18:16:33
# Shutter Speed Value (APEX) = 4321928/1000000
Shutter Speed (Exposure Time) = 1/20 second
# Aperture Value (APEX) = 7400879/1000000
Aperture = F13
# Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
# Focal Length = 23/1 mm = 23 mm

Actually, I used f/13 assuming that the foreground would be sharp too but it turned out blurry. How do I estimate what f stop to use? This is handheld sa I needed to run away from the waves when it comes at me so can't setup a tripod.

I would like feedback on post processing techniques.
Is there any way to compensate for not using a CPL filter?

Also, is there someone who can critique and also do some PP to demonstrate the difference it can make?

I can send you the file.

oh, accepted the new details...

i'll say, the female behind is redundant. horizon is very much tilted. and the the sky isn't flattering at all as there isn't any contrast. cropping is kinda tight on the lower portion.

PICT4949edit.jpg

what i can say is, you should try to learn how to take either hyperfocal, or if you want to shoot a stationary object like a bottle, you should have a better close up and isolation.

my above shot, a failure, cos i was trying to magnify the antz and get a full sharpness from where i am standing to infinity. apparently, unless i magnify it to a A0 poster, i can see the antz crawling... else as a normal monitor wallpaper, it lacks the details, but still a better sunrise pic than nothing.

oh, accepted the new details...

i'll say, the female behind is redundant. horizon is very much tilted. and the the sky isn't flattering at all as there isn't any contrast. cropping is kinda tight on the lower portion.

If the day was cloudy and the colour was actual, what can I do to make a difference besides a CPL?

HI..

I am not there.. so.. can't make out actual scene... without CPL...I would generally underexpose (up to 1 stop) the whole picture using Shutter than to use Aperture... I would keep it to f8~11...

The picture is not sharp not because of F13.. but of the attempt of a Hero whom is trying to shoot at 1/20, with a focal length of 23mm... We all get excited at times when we see a lady in bright red colour come into the picture....

It is not easy to save a dull or 'overlighted' sky (super sunny).

One alternative is high shutter, larger apeture, and use some fill in flash.

Again.. I am not there and don't be afraid to use flash / reflectors on bright days.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Actually the bottle by itself says a story! Well spotted.

As for the picture, just seems very bland. The lady in the background really does not add anything to the pic. The sky, as has been mentioned, absolutely flat. And the colors seem pretty dull as well.

What you could/could have done is to shoot this when there is some good cloud formation (or atleast port it in from another pic).

For some reason, this pic is screaming B&W to me! :)

quite a simple, nice, interesting shot.
Just try to link a story between the gal and the bottle.
For e.g. My lost bottle, Save me, Faraway land

I would think either isolate the lady in the pic or the bottle and make use of the plain sky or uniform sand texture for text effect would create an impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.