Beach sand and saline water and your gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

hokkaido88

Dec 29, 2007
Would you bring your expensive gear i.e 5D mark II and L lens to the beach for vacation? let say in few week times?

Or you prefer to bring a point and shoot camera to safe your gear from getting sand and saline water?

Or mount a cheap lens i.e kit lens?

Or still go with it. I think the sand would be going to the camera and the lens( while zooming and focusing(might be))

I'll bring along a class 10 mobile cleanroom, in case I have to swap the lens on the DSLR camera, and also a class 3 biological safety glovebox just so I will be able to use the DSLR within with no fear of contaminant.

Cheers. ;)

Last edited:
i brought along a dingy cheap $20 camera

because i bought expensive gear to keep at home at the drybox and worship and hope that seawater, as dreadful as it is, will never touch any of those kinky equipment that others use to make beautiful pictures.

at least my investment, my precious is safe at home... :heart::heart::heart:

kit lens for 5D2 is L lens...lol...

why not ? just need to find a clean spot if u need to change lens.

after that, blow and wipe all gears with wet tissues..

Id just bring it along and have fun! You bought the camera to take great photos and to have fun yeah? So just get out there, dont think too much of the sun, sea and sand and just get the best of shots you can get. :D

Of course, dont do something so radical like soak the camera or build a sandcastle on it and im sure it will be fine :)

i'll buy those big clear plastic bags and put my camera in them
heck,i'll just shoot through the plastic bag

bring out .. not only worry abt sand / seawater
but also worry about people pinching, accidental drop ..
so many things to worry about ...
maybe worry too much about camera , cannot enjoy holiday ....

decisions ... decisions .. decisions

i'll buy those big clear plastic bags and put my camera in them
heck,i'll just shoot through the plastic bag

then y the last time we shot at Siloso beach never see u shoot thru plastic bag? ;p

I'd put on a UV filter. That aside, my lens coatings are designed to resist salt spray anyway.

Would you bring your expensive gear i.e 5D mark II and L lens to the beach for vacation? let say in few week times?

Or you prefer to bring a point and shoot camera to safe your gear from getting sand and saline water?

Or mount a cheap lens i.e kit lens?

Or still go with it. I think the sand would be going to the camera and the lens( while zooming and focusing(might be))

Depends how you prioritise: gear more important than holiday? or holiday more important than gear?

Personally, I don't believe in pampering my gear.. Use but don't abuse, I say..
Lenses kena salt-spray from different oceans, body kena dropped into sand dune, grime and sweat on everything else..
Just carry on shooting, dun worry.. Make the camera/gear slave for you, not the other way round..

When changing lens, keep out of the wind.. Use air-bulb to blow off the dust bits and wipe-down gear with damp (not dripping wet) tissue/cloth after shoot..

Remember that your gear is supposed to work for you and enjoy the trip!

Cheers! ;)

Ally, let say I used the wet cloth to wipe the gear, then would the dry cabinet suck the moisture from the camera once I place them into it?

Or Just simply wipe it with wet cloth ( I think the wet tissue would left some tissue debries on the camera) and the moisture would evaporate?

Ally, let say I used the wet cloth to wipe the gear, then would the dry cabinet suck the moisture from the camera once I place them into it?

Or Just simply wipe it with wet cloth ( I think the wet tissue would left some tissue debries on the camera) and the moisture would evaporate?

_faint.jpg

Am I too paranoid? Or really worrying too much?

You worry too much. Don't worry, be happy, and go out and shoot more pics. :)

As for your equipment, just do regular cleaning after each use. They will be doing fine, just like all our equipment does. :)

Thanks to hear from you all it's fine to bring them to do that :)

i like to shoot out door.... few years liao, nv had a problem.....
so don't worry. just don't ... anyhow chang lens in the open and graft if possible :)

my old 350D still running find ;p

*pls not 5dmkii cannot swim haha do a search and you will know haha
joking..

Status
Not open for further replies.