Beach Portraits. Any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

screamingsnapshots

Dec 10, 2007
Hi, Im helping my school take some portraits by the beach. I've been searching online for tips. Most suggest shooting in the evening for better light, and using flash for fill-lighting if needed. Some suggest using a pillow case to shield the camera if i need to change lenses.

Some website recommend using a reflector, while others say a reflector is not necessary since the sun will act as a reflector. Can anyone help to clarify on this?

And if you have any of your own tips that you could help me out, it would greatly be appreciated. :)

Thank you!

Hi, Im helping my school take some portraits by the beach. I've been searching online for tips. Most suggest shooting in the evening for better light, and using flash for fill-lighting if needed. Some suggest using a pillow case to shield the camera if i need to change lenses.

Some website recommend using a reflector, while others say a reflector is not necessary since the sun will act as a reflector. Can anyone help to clarify on this?

And if you have any of your own tips that you could help me out, it would greatly be appreciated. :)

Thank you!
just keep it simple since you have no experience on such shooting.

you can forget about using the reflector, the wind a beach is very strong, if you don't know how to use it and don't have someone to hold for you, you are wasting your time to use it at the beach. beside, it only work well in close range and for one or two persons.

the sun is the main light, it will not act as reflector, only the sand will, however, that depend on what is the sunlight casting if you want to use the sand to bounce light back.

remember, just keep it simple, so you will have better control.

the tip i will give you is very simple:

think of the light, think how it works, think why photos turn out the way the turn out. think why they do not work lighting-wise, and proceed to correct from there with tools available to you. the understanding of the light, i.e. the basis, not some magic tool that is supposed to be a cure-all, that is what is important.

if you have limited tools, a good portrait can still be taken anywhere. maybe it will be less than what you might get if you had every tool at your disposal.. but it will still have merit.

Try not to get seawater into the camera...I don't see why you really need a pillow case.

First of all, u need to let everyone here know how many subjects are there in a single shoot,
before everyone can better assist u, coz' the exposure/aperture setting & equipments required can differ by a lot..

If possible, get a CPL filter for beach shoots, it will enhance ur sea/sky shoots :D

Watch out for squinting eyes.

Look for candid pictures.

Catch them splashing, chatting or playing with sand and bucket.

Portraits need not be posed.

Portraits as in formal posed portraits or candids?

Why don't you go with a friend and try some shots @ the beach. Then post the photo in CS C&C for comments on how to improve your shots. Shooting is one of the best way to pratice and learn photography:D

If you need additional models and subjects, complimenting or distracting i volunteer for the service. ;)

Always take some test shots ... beware of backlit. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.