Beach photos

kansatish

Dec 30, 2010
Queenstown
How can I get great beach photos with the rich blue color of the sky captured as we see it? I have tried a few, but I still cannot get this and most of the time it looks overexposed. Do I try on a polarizing filter or something?

Sorry if I am taking up this topic again. But if it has been discussed before, then appreciate someone could point me to the thread that contains this info. Tks!

if i'm not wrong there's a square filter called GND blue. maybe u can try using it =D

Last edited:
hmm, before you try additional hardware, can consider changing the metering modes and white balancing.

hmm, before you try additional hardware, can consider changing the metering modes and white balancing.

I had actually used Matrix metering and left the white balance at auto. I will trying playing around with different options...

first, you need a blue sky to begin with,

secondly, put the sun behind you, not facing the sun,

circular polarizer filter will help, but it will help if it is a cloudy day,
to get maximum effect from circular polarizer, the sun need to perpendicular with the lens axis, so either on your left, right or right above you.

gradual neutral density filters will help too, but there are many types and strength filters, need to assess the situation to use the right strength filter, so usually we have a set of filters instead of one filter.

if you follow thru the suggestions, the metering part is rather straight forward.

How can I get great beach photos with the rich blue color of the sky captured as we see it? I have tried a few, but I still cannot get this and most of the time it looks overexposed. Do I try on a polarizing filter or something?

Sorry if I am taking up this topic again. But if it has been discussed before, then appreciate someone could point me to the thread that contains this info. Tks!

If the sun is bright and on your left or right, you can use a Polarising Filter.

DSC00128.jpg

Share with you these shots which was taken at Redang with CPL filter & UWA lens...

190651_198788056818142_100000608463769_628777_7583284_n.jpg

197378_198788070151474_100000608463769_628778_6047276_n.jpg

Last edited:
another option is of course...find blue skies that match and then composite it into your photos. It works if you dont really have time to wait for when conditions are right.