Be very careful, always check blind spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikonsiao

Sep 2, 2004
singapore
www.weddingdairy.blogspot.com
Hi fellowclubsnappers,
Had a very scary experience today as i was driving to work.... i believe some of us dun really check our blind spot, we just look at our rear and side mirrors.
back to my story, lucky i was not blasting my fav techno song, i heard the sound of a bike but i could see anything from my mirrors...really i swear...nothing...until i swung my body all the way to the back...this ah peh driving same speed as i was on my right... wah lao,scared the **** out of me. if i didn't hear anything and just turn right at that exit, i am very sure i would had hit him.100% .so please check and double check... :sweat:

that's make both ways...

Dear riders and drivers, other than being vigilent to check blindspot, i think its WAY more important to not pace the car on your left, especially not at the blindspot area.. By the way, ONLY BE ON THE RIGHT LANE IF YOU'R OVERTAKING!! And once you have overtake, keep left!

If you dont care about your own life and safety, at least dont cause others the grief and inconvenience of running over you..

Cant stand road hogs...

A few important safety driving tips:

1) Signal when changing lanes or turning. If someone is stupid enough to pace you alongside in your blindspot, hopefully they're clever enough to see your signal lights.

2) Change lane smoothly and at moderate speed. Give that bugger a chance to react.

3) Check your blind spot.

4) Never pace someone in their blind spot.

5) Motorcycles love to pace you in your blind spot. Watch for them especially when you're turning or changing lanes. They seem to love to go straight even though it's a turning lane! If you hit them, they'll get badly injured, no matter whose fault it is. They're vulnerable... so be more tolerant.

I think all drivers must go for test every 2 years man if such reminders have to be repeated over and over again.

so far only ah pehs who blur blur ride their bikes tend to have this problem...even when they pace you and you on yr signal lights, they can't see...sigh..when you wan to tap horn you also scare wait they shock and lose balance... so i usually drive away and stay far far from them. :bsmilie:

Taxis can be very scary too... they tend to cut into yr lane suddenly.

should we be defensive or agressive?

i argee..all drivers should go for refresher course after certain periods...

wow !! u drive to work liao ar ? so when u bring us go jialan jialan :bsmilie:

nikonsiao said:
Hi fellowclubsnappers,
Had a very scary experience today as i was driving to work.... i believe some of us dun really check our blind spot, we just look at our rear and side mirrors.
back to my story, lucky i was not blasting my fav techno song, i heard the sound of a bike but i could see anything from my mirrors...really i swear...nothing...until i swung my body all the way to the back...this ah peh driving same speed as i was on my right... wah lao,scared the **** out of me. if i didn't hear anything and just turn right at that exit, i am very sure i would had hit him.100% .so please check and double check... :sweat:

You can buy those spherical rotating mirrors that can be attached to your side mirrors to check for blind spots. About $4 for a pair and I find it useful in driving and also for reverse parking.

digipat2003 said:
wow !! u drive to work liao ar ? so when u bring us go jialan jialan :bsmilie:

standby for action bros....have car will shoot shoot shoot..btw i bought the Batt operated CF card transfer reader....the one from eastgear...40gb harddisc... now can immediatly transfer from CF card to harddisc without AC or laptop...hehehe......buy buy buy....

lazyfiddler said:
You can buy those spherical rotating mirrors that can be attached to your side mirrors to check for blind spots. About $4 for a pair and I find it useful in driving and also for reverse parking.
will look for a pair......i hope it works.....

nikonsiao said:
will look for a pair......i hope it works.....

U can get it at any auto-accessories shop. I got mine at a Shell station, though. Hope this helps.

I got my license not long ago. Anyway i had one close encounter too.
Was driving on the slowest(left) lane on a 3 lane road, this taxi driver overtook me on the right and drive into my lane in front of me and jammed his brakes to pick up some passengers. I was not expecting him to stop just like that. At that moment, if i braked it would still be too late, so i swerved to the lane on the right without checking for oncoming cars. I was lucky there wasn't any approaching cars then. If not :dunno:

i think the main problem is that the bikes do not take up one lane.. they squeeze in between the lanes.. that's causing the danger.

philip827 said:
Was driving on the slowest(left) lane on a 3 lane road, this taxi driver overtook me on the right and drive into my lane in front of me and jammed his brakes to pick up some passengers. I was not expecting him to stop just like that. At that moment, if i braked it would still be too late, so i swerved to the lane on the right without checking for oncoming cars. I was lucky there wasn't any approaching cars then. If not :dunno:

that happened to me on my test day....wah lao i still remenber..that cost me 8 points...taxis forever like that.. keep cutting into yr lane and jam brake..

philip827 said:
Time it right, overtake him, den juz as he's abt to move off, jam brake and make him bang u squarely on the butt. ;)

Bikes are a nuisance to me either as a driver or a pedestrian.

Before I had a car, I remeber one incident where the cars stopped for the pedestrians to cross but those motocycles just sped up. Without noticing, one ran over my foot and turned around to scold me. I was so furious that he did not even bother to apologise and wanted to whack him (thinking and staring hard at the #$%) then he sped off.

Over here in M'sia, not only do they swerve around as and when they wish, at times when the jams are so bad that cars can't move, some of those $%^ would still miss and knock your mirrors or scratch your cars.

i nearly have a accident recently @ newton circle....
my advise to all is... if u feel tired... get a nap or rest first b4 driving....

my story is that i was driving home after an wedding job assignment, feeling damn tired after a whole day shoot.. i drove my way to newton for food... after food... wanted to go home... i was driving into the circle, i was sort of like following the car in front of me...when i thot that my turn came for me to drive out of my position.... a cab honked like mad... and avoid me...and serve bloody fast to the right.... lucky i jammed the brakes... if not the cab clould have just killed me straght on the stop...

both of us are in the wrong..., i shouldn't shoot out of my position b4 the green light... and the cab should have drove @ a high speed to drive past the amber....basket.... freak out that day.... lucky i`m still alive today! :thumbsup:

I concur with NEO. signalling, changing lanes smoothly is v impt, esp if you don't check your blindspot. then other cars/bikes can react in time, horn at you then u jerk back into your lane. I drive and i ride a bike too. So I understand both sides of the story. As a driver, I won't wanna kill/injure someone regardless who's in the wrong. just be extra safe. As a rider, I'd like to keep a safe distance from everyone. Yes, I'm guilty of squeezing, esp at traffic lights, thats the beauty of bike. IN jams, highway, i'll put my thumb where the horn is, and my brakes are ready to go anytime. I'll warn anyone who has the slight twitch who might cause danger to my riding. tis works except for tailgaters...which realy sux...some will come really close to your butt, and for bikes is v dangerous as a slght 'kiss' could be deadly.

and one more thing, bikes are supposed to ride in the middle of roads. but when I do that, sometime cars will squeeze me out of it. Just LL and slow down, let 'em overtake.

just be more mindful.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I swear by these small mirrors to check for blind spot and reverse parking too.

lazyfiddler said:

dreamseeker said:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I swear by these small mirrors to check for blind spot and reverse parking too.

Nothing beats turning around to check the blind spot, the image in the mirror is too tiny to be very useful.

Be safe, not sorry.

Since we are on the topic on driving, Can I just check how you all signal to the other party that you are giving way for them?
In UK, flashing the high beam once or twice is to indicate that you are giving way for them and let them prepare to filter into your lane infront of your car.

Status
Not open for further replies.