Be Somebody

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Chan

Sep 21, 2005
2095373486_18b945c2a3.jpg

my first few attempts at off camera lighting..

Vivitar 285HV on 1/16th power, bounced off the insides of the magazine plus built-in flash to light up the cover page..

would like some comments on the lighting and composition.. any other tips and tricks lighting-wise are also welcomed..

i think

1) if not too much trouble, remove the glass from specticle. the reflection from his left glass is distracting.

2) something about the light, the shadow is thrown upwards. dont really like it.

3) still on the lighting, but no on the balance. i feel the lighting of the book cover is too strong.

4) the reader's eye brow, it looks like he is forcing his eyes to open wide. not sure if this is a surprise look you as a photog wanted to show, not quite there is that is want you wanted.

5) maybe can do more like flash coming from the book itself direct to the reader, as if its a magical book the give golden glow (as per your title).

i think if i do what i write above, it will look like the rebbina advertisment. ha ha ha.

thanks for the comment..

it was just an impromptu thing, removing the glass would be troublesome.. haha..
that would be the flash being bounced off inside of the magazine.. plus some reflected off the sheets..
maybe -1 compensation isn't enough.. find it hard to control the onboard flash though.. without the built-in, can't even see the coverpage clearly..

anyway, anyone else tried to use the 40D's built-in flash together with an ext manual flash? find that it doesn't expose properly if I just shoot without FEL..

anyway, anyone else tried to use the 40D's built-in flash together with an ext manual flash? find that it doesn't expose properly if I just shoot without FEL..

correct me if i am wrong, 40d's pop up flash is in ettl mode, ie it will fire a controlled pre-flash (just before the shutter opens) to determine the amount of energy for the "real" flash to fire when the shutter opens.

so you see, this pre-flash will trigger you slave flash, so the slave flash may not be fully charged when the main flash triggers it. hence the wrong exposure you had.

this problem can be solve by :

1) using digital slave flash or using an optical triggering device that is meant for this kind of usage (doubt you can find it in singapore). the circuitry will ensure the flash to ignor the pre-flash.

2) use another flash gun mounted on the hot shoe but you have to set it in manual mode.

3) use FEL. which will fire the pre-flash. which will fire the ext manual flash. but you have to wait for the ext manual flash to be charge up before pressing the shutter button to take the shot. if i remember correctly, take note that FEL only last for about 6sec.

thanks for the suggestion..

the ext flash was on a wireless trigger, I think the problem lies with the onboard flash.. if I don't press the FEL button, the cover doesn't expose properly, think its because the cam "sees" the light by the ext flash and got fooled.. hopefully can get another flash..

any other comments by others?

i dunno about the lighting but for the specs reflection, you can try pushing up the specs more or tilting your head up a little so that the light wont reflect on your specs.. ya. you have to experiement with the angles le. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.