Be part time taxi driver

de_stan

Apr 21, 2004
Hi,

Hope somebody here with knowledge can help me out.
I have thoughts to apply for TDVL to be part time taxi driver.
Anybody here got any idea how much is the income like?
And also what is the requirement to get the license?

no idea on the income, but i suppose requirement n other info can chk taxi company website?

Why don't you be a part time photographer instead?

Why don't you be a part time photographer instead?

You don't understand.

Being a part time cab driver gives you plenty of opportunities to be a photographer. Whenever you reach a scene of beauty, bloody violence, natural disaster or VIP making it out with a woman you can stop and shoot and become famous.

Last edited:
Chk tis out:

1) To apply - http://www.cdgtaxi.com.sg/cabbies_drivewithus_vocational_licence.mvn[/URL]

2) Benefit -
http://www.taxisingapore.com/taxi-drivers/[/URL]

Average 12 hour shift with 2 hours break, profit $80 - $130. (Base on H.sonata rental and diesel)

Hi,

my dad is a taxi driver, the rental for the car comes up to $90+ per day (depending on which car, forget which car he is driving though) + fuel costs (not sure how much). he is the main driver so he will look for part timers to split cost (50%-50%), and minus away the costs you incurred, whatever you earn more from there, its in your pocket (profits).

usually there is 2 shifts, morning to afternoon and evening to late morning.

my dad is a taxi driver, .

He must have a lot of interesting stories to tell you. I always enjoy learning stuff from taxi drivers. They see so much. That is an additional perk of the job.

Average 12 hour shift with 2 hours break, profit $80 - $130. (Base on H.sonata rental and diesel)

that works out to be about $8 or $12 an hour.

i'd rather be a freelance photographer at those rates

for every hour you shoot, you need spend another 3-4 hours for that hour which you able to charge to clients/customers (meeting, preparing for shoot, post processing, errands etc), so do you think charging $50 per hour for shooting still able make some profit?

not forgetting you still have to dump a lot of money for hardware and software, eduction, fixtures into photography business, there are lots of expenses incur with or without shooting, where is your salary and pension??

many people can make some money with photography, but not many photographers able to make profits from photography.

Last edited:
for every hour you shoot, you need spend another 3-4 hours for that hour which you able to charge to clients/customers (meeting, preparing for shoot, post processing, errands etc), so do you think charging $50 per hour for shooting still able make some profit?

not forgetting you still have to dump a lot of money for hardware and software, eduction, fixtures into photography business, there are lots of expenses incur with or without shooting, where is your salary and pension??

many people can make some money with photography, but not many photographers able to make profits from photography.

However the enjoyment of having the freedom of the whole day in front of him to shoot everyday making being a photographer the best job in the world whether he can make enough profits out of it or not.

That is of course he must have enough food in the fridge.

I don't have to worry for the next 3 days as I have enough bread and kaya. But beyond that I need to produce an income. :)

A good learning experience, tiring job
A good talker with passengers is necessary
Be prepared for adventures with all sorts of people, good and bad
It can be an occupational hazard for full-time driver

Sion said:
However the enjoyment of having the freedom of the whole day in front of him to shoot everyday making being a photographer the best job in the world whether he can make enough profits out of it or not.

Yup. Lol. Plus you get paid more per day.

The hourly rate of the freelance photographer is not just the hour spent on the process of taking photos. It also includes processing, marketing, client management, and a whole laundry list of miscellaneous things....

I won't be surprised if some of the cheaper freelance photographers actually add up the total hours spent and end up earning less than $8 per hour... But that really depends on your level of service, processing skills/speed, etc and a load of other factors.

You also nid to have the know how. Knowing where to chiong for passengers is crucial for cabby otherwise only wasting time on the road. I was told there's alot of lobang for night shift...

Hi,

I am a regular taxi commuter and I have friends who are taxi drivers. On an average a driver makes about $120 - $150 per day, after deducting rental and diesel. My regular driver currently makes about $100 on a bad day and as much as $220 on a good day and shares his taxi with another driver. He drives about 10 hrs day with rest periods in between. He drives 4 hrs on Sundays.

Solo driver makes $1500 per month less as he has to pay for the full rental of $100/day.

If you like driving, good tempered and fit, a taxi driver can make a decent living.

Cab drivers know where the BEST places to makan are all over the country

A classmate of mine is driving a MaxiCab (those white MPV) and he says that the income fluctuates and depending on private arrangements as well ...... on a regular basis he has fixed bookings everyday at fixed times sending passengers to work.... that takes care of a part of his rental cost daily

Then there are the large conventions and shows where they get booked all day (eg Airshow last week) for the whole week

Keeping the MaxiCab spotless and well equipped is a total must for him eg karaoke set , a ready collection of kids' movies on DVDs etc etc etc It ensures repeat business and word of mouth spreads

BTW, he is also a licensed tour guide so there is supplementary income from related sources

He actually does very few random pick-ups

$4000+ nett seems his monthly average

He is actually preparing to take his Bus license and a license that allows him to drive container trailers

He is actually preparing to take his Bus license and a license that allows him to drive container trailers

Good move... our country is facing shortage of container drivers and the pay package is getting better. :)

kei1309 said:

Oh please, freelance photographer doesn't always have jobs everytime

Part time cabby has fixed driving schedule which means regular income every time.

Freelance photographer will only eat air if there is no job.....