BCA green mark buildings

HDR... HDR... HDR... wow... HDR... AND HDR, urm okay HDR again... :bsmilie: *shakes head* Me thinks next time, rules should CLEARLY say "HDR is allowed, even though it distorts reality by a huge margin" what say you? :)

I fully agree with you, I read the rules HDR not allow. Otherwise I submit my HDR photo.

"The only way to ensure that a competition's results are always agreeable with you is simply to sponsor one and appoint yourself the chief judge (whose opinion overrules any other judge's if it comes to that). Even then, you might look back and wonder why you chose that winner." - Me :bsmilie:

"The only way to ensure that a competition's results are always agreeable with you is simply to sponsor one and appoint yourself the chief judge (whose opinion overrules any other judge's if it comes to that). Even then, you might look back and wonder why you chose that winner." - Me :bsmilie:

whether it is agreeable or not is one thing but don't you think an over-processed radioactive building is simply poor taste. Unless, they are looking for abstract art, then maybe... just maybe I can understand.

I highly suspect that these judges are seeing digital photos for the first time and were wow by these photos.

This is a major fiasco! :bsmilie: And Facebook is an international social media network... whoops! *like*

whether it is agreeable or not is one thing but don't you think an over-processed radioactive building is simply poor taste. Unless, they are looking for abstract art, then maybe... just maybe I can understand.

I highly suspect that these judges are seeing digital photos for the first time and were wow by these photos.

This is a 20/20 issue as IR pictures have to be processed a lot before it can be presented, so if they allow IR pictures then they have to allow other heavily processed pictures.

I'm rather taken aback by the shortlisted entries. I imagined the deserving winners to portrait the sustainable qualities of environmental sensitive architecture, something which I've always find challenging to photograph. I was hoping to see shots which can set this competition apart from the tradition of over-processed, fisheye winners....... think I expected too much.

Here's some excerpts from the Wikipedia article on the concept called "sportsmanship".

Sportsmanship expresses an aspiration or ethos that the activity will be enjoyed for its own sake, with proper consideration for fairness, ethics, respect, and a sense of fellowship with one's competitors. A sore loser refers to one who doesn't take defeat well, whereas a good sport means being a "good winner" as well as being a "good loser".

In general, sportsmanship refers to virtues such as fairness, self-control, courage and persistence and has been associated with interpersonal concepts of treating others and being treated fairly, maintaining self-control in dealing with others, and respect for both authority and opponents.

A competitor who exhibits poor sportsmanship after losing a game or contest is often called a "sore loser" (those who show poor sportsmanship after winning are typically called "bad winners"). Behavior includes blaming others, not taking responsibility for personal actions, reacting immaturely or improperly, making excuses for one's loss, referring to unfavorable conditions or other petty issues.

Thought it was worth sharing as food for thought. Cheers.

Here's some excerpts from the Wikipedia article on the concept called "sportsmanship".

Thought it was worth sharing as food for thought. Cheers.

i fully agreed with the above quotes , but for this competition.... i think others have raised the issue of RULES not clearly defined/vague. Please discuss sensibly, not trying to hint that others are not "sportsmanship" enough when the rules put them into unfair positions. :)
maybe you can create a poll and see how many agree with you and the others:)

I'm rather taken aback by the shortlisted entries. I imagined the deserving winners to portrait the sustainable qualities of environmental sensitive architecture, something which I've always find challenging to photograph. I was hoping to see shots which can set this competition apart from the tradition of over-processed, fisheye winners....... think I expected too much.

welcome to PSS!!:bsmilie:

i fully agreed with the above quotes , but for this competition.... i think others have raised the issue of RULES not clearly defined/vague. Please discuss sensibly, not trying to hint that others are not "sportsmanship" enough when the rules put them into unfair positions. :)
maybe you can create a poll and see how many agree with you and the others:)

I think you have to take the rule set in its entirety. This "basic adjustments" thing is indeed, as many people point out, debateable. Is HDR a basic adjustment? Does it distort reality? I do not know, I was not there when said photographers took their pictures, and I agree that many of the photographs look unnatural. That said, I would like to point out the one additional rule that is always there, which is very clearly defined:

The images shall be selected by a panel of judges and their decision is final. No correspondence pertaining to the selection process and decision will be entertained.

I think rules are rules, and this talk about "Oh if I knew the interpretation of the rules was such and such" is a little confusing to me. In the first place, submission to this particular contest was not into a black box. Accepted entries were displayed in a gallery. I think for this case, there was more than sufficient room to clarify the rules with the organizers during the duration of the contest. I had seen such photos submitted early, and that gave some hint at the definition of "basic adjustments". Are you telling me that all of the participants crying foul here and on the BCA Green Shots FB page did not check the galleries, and did not spot these HDR photos? I can't see why no clarification could be made when these photographs appeared in the gallery in the Green Shots website.

This is where I'm coming from. On a separate note, I have never expected people to agree with me. This is my stand, it is not some popularity contest where if 5 people agree with me while 2 people disagree my life will be much improved in a mystical way.

Naturally, this stand might change if someone had indeed clarified with the organisers as to their definition of "basic adjustments" and it had been specifically carved out what these were (e.g. an explicit reply such as "HDR processing is disallowed"). Vague examples, frankly, do not give a clear picture.

Anyways, I've said my piece, I think there is no need to clarify any further. Cheers.

Last edited:
I think there is no need for u to clarify any further. You are just a clone....
No one will agree with you as you are talking non·sense.
Lol... Even a blind can sense that.
Are u with the organisation or are you one of the judge...Lol

Cheers

I think you have to take the rule set in its entirety. This "basic adjustments" thing is indeed, as many people point out, debateable. Is HDR a basic adjustment? Does it distort reality? I do not know, I was not there when said photographers took their pictures, and I agree that many of the photographs look unnatural. That said, I would like to point out the one additional rule that is always there, which is very clearly defined:

I think rules are rules, and this talk about "Oh if I knew the interpretation of the rules was such and such" is a little confusing to me. In the first place, submission to this particular contest was not into a black box. Accepted entries were displayed in a gallery. I think for this case, there was more than sufficient room to clarify the rules with the organizers during the duration of the contest. I had seen such photos submitted early, and that gave some hint at the definition of "basic adjustments". Are you telling me that all of the participants crying foul here and on the BCA Green Shots FB page did not check the galleries, and did not spot these HDR photos? I can't see why no clarification could be made when these photographs appeared in the gallery in the Green Shots website.

This is where I'm coming from. On a separate note, I have never expected people to agree with me. This is my stand, it is not some popularity contest where if 5 people agree with me while 2 people disagree my life will be much improved in a mystical way.

Naturally, this stand might change if someone had indeed clarified with the organisers as to their definition of "basic adjustments" and it had been specifically carved out what these were (e.g. an explicit reply such as "HDR processing is disallowed"). Vague examples, frankly, do not give a clear picture.

Anyways, I've said my piece, I think there is no need to clarify any further. Cheers.

I think there is no need for u to clarify any further. You are just a clone....
No one will agree with you as you are talking non·sense.
Lol... Even a blind can sense that.
Are u with the organisation or are you one of the judge...Lol

Cheers

u are wrong, he is just an ex member here, reincarnated. lol

I agree that judges decision are final.

Go by the rule no 3.Digital manipulation that distorts the reality of the photos will not be allowed for all categories.Only basic enhancements such as sharpening, contrast adjustment, or simply cropping will be allowed.
HDR photos should be disqualified during screening stage. And yet it is allowed to be entered for photo judging ! There seems no clear communication of the rules and briefing by the organiser to the judges. I belive that such briefing helps to reinforce the reules and close off the gap in the judging process !

Ask yourself a question :

- As a participant, do you wish this unclear rules to be continued ? Imagine if you are working hard at site waiting for the best subjects and lightings while othere are sitting back comfortably doing heavily digital manipulation like HDR ?
- As a non-participant, do you wish to see more and more out of reality photos being exhibited ?

You have the choice to keep silence or feedback to organiser.

Thank you. Good day.

What the... I've seen better and stunning HDRs. Not this kind...

I'll hazard a guess....... they probably didn't know it was HDR.

most probably the case, maybe those judges, not a single of them are photographers themselves, else its either they dunno about the regulation or they are dumb enough.