BBC: Singapore 'breaks protest deal'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klose

Feb 15, 2005
Singapore 'breaks protest deal'

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) and World Bank have accused Singapore of reneging on a deal to allow activists into their annual meeting. The World Bank said it was "very displeased" with Singapore's decision to bar 28 activists from the country. The Bank and IMF argue the presence of pressure groups is key to improving the work of financial institutions.
Singapore says it has banned the activists as they have taken part in "disruptive protests" in other nations.

"The most unfortunate thing is what appears to be a going-back on an explicit agreement," World Bank chief Paul Wolfowitz told about 50 activists in Singapore ahead of the annual meetings.

"So far we've had no satisfactory explanation why," he added.

The institutions added that they were particularly unhappy with the bans as they had signed an open access agreement in 2003.

"We work with these representatives of civil societies, and we value their role - even when we disagree with what they say," a statement from the World Bank added.

Protest ban

Singapore had banned public protests for the duration of the IMF and World Bank meetings amid concerns they could lead to violence and damage to property. Following the ban, pressure groups and non-governmental organisations decided they would demonstrate on Batam Island instead - an Indonesian island located close to Singapore by boat. However, Singapore has now set aside an indoor area where activists can gather to express their views. But the designated protest area could become more than a little cramped as it is only an eight metre by eight metre square.

Have we over done it this time round? :bsmilie:

wildstallion said:
:bsmilie: Wonderful, all that effort to make a good impression has gone down the toilet, IMF seem mildy annoyed!

cageofsmilebg4.jpg

Land of the fakes :bsmilie:

This part just makes the article a winner for me, its so typically Singaporean:

"But the designated protest area could become more than a little cramped as it is only an eight metre by eight metre square."

wildstallion said:
This part just makes the article a winner for me, its so typically Singaporean:

"But the designated protest area could become more than a little cramped as it is only an eight metre by eight metre square."

:bsmilie: 8 x 8 seems smaller than some of the studios I have been too :bsmilie:

Klose said:
:bsmilie: 8 x 8 seems smaller than some of the studios I have been too :bsmilie:

At least, its bigger than yellow boxes in camps. :bsmilie:

did you guys noticed that...they keep showing that "Welcome IMF ad" on channel 5 with the coldplay song, very irritating

Physical-Graffiti said:
did you guys noticed that...they keep showing that "Welcome IMF ad" on channel 5 with the coldplay song, very irritating

they should change it lor...

maybe change to bad day...

i had a bad day... :bsmilie:

Preparation for IMF, we spent $millions.

The look on our politician's face when they read the newspaper tomorrow- Priceless$:)

Klose said:
cageofsmilebg4.jpg

Land of the fakes :bsmilie:
Hey I like that photo...nice contrast. :D

I was actually hovering around just about 10 metres away from it for the entire duration of last night. ;)

its just wayang... IMF and World Bank wants to show that it is encouraging "Freedom of Speech" but frankly do they really work on the comments? Singapore was chosen for a reason and they defintely knew this will be the result. Not surprised the big wigs are saying "finally a meeting without those pesky protestors that try to storm the building and fight with police!" And this year's IMF was a record attendance compared to previous years.

Let the big boys talk business and stop wasting time on stupid protesters that have nothing better to do. Deport, Arrest, I support that 100 percent!! I already have tons of foreigners here to wreck our homes, take away our jobs, I dont want them to come tear down trees and mess up the place with their clashes with police.

Singapore can definitely host events well in term of logistics and planning. however more macro issues like freedom of speech seriously shows the control the govt have in singapore

dr34mc4st3r said:
Singapore can definitely host events well in term of logistics and planning. however more macro issues like freedom of speech seriously shows the control the govt have in singapore

hold or hoax? sound the same to me... ;p

Superpuma hovering and circling the Suntec City.

Why don't the S2006 organiser put up the IMF and WB meet at Singapore Expo so that it does not disrupt the busy Marina area. Fencing up the area, luckily no triple con wire.

This is a business gig and most of the delegate will be like in a fish tank, go to the meeting and back to their hotel rooms.

history of this meeting always attract large protests... now an IMF without protest doesnt feels like one, or is not going to be one... i guess this is oso how many IMF members felt...

during IMF in other countries, it's normal for protests to happen, and if we dont have a 'proper' one, the world could probably felt how abnormal our culture can be...

xtemujin said:
Superpuma hovering and circling the Suntec City.

Why don't the S2006 organiser put up the IMF and WB meet at Singapore Expo so that it does not disrupt the busy Marina area. Fencing up the area, luckily no triple con wire.

This is a business gig and most of the delegate will be like in a fish tank, go to the meeting and back to their hotel rooms.

no hotels... hmm.. maybe can house them in some unoccupied HDB around that area... :think: yea good to make our visitor feels more singapore...

Thursday i took a bus down to Suntec intending to walk across the bridge connecting the conventional centre to Marina Sq. Bus was diverted to drop outside Millenia Walk. :angry:

While walking towards Suntec from within Marina Sq shopping centre, overheard 3 Cacausians IMF delegated commenting on how artificial Singapore is : the planting of flowers, the 4 million smile campaign all contrasting with the total ban on protests, barbed wires surrounding the convention centre and armed police and Gurkhas patrolling every where.

It put me to shame to be a Singaporean.

Klose said:
Have we over done it this time round? :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.