Bayer Color Filter Array Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronny123

Jun 27, 2009
Hi EveryOne..

Iam new to this..

Iam studying Masters Degree in Image Processing. Iam planning to do my Masters Project relating to "Compression of Bayer Color Filter Array Images".
For this, i got stuck at beginning only.

I cannot find a way for"converting an ordinary color image to Bayer Color Filter Image", which are required as input images in my project.
Can anyone, help me out from this.

If you know any Algorithm related to this, or any conversion process(programmingly) or any other way, please report me.
I need to do my project in MATLAB Software..

--
Thanks and Regards,
Ronny

I cannot find a way for"converting an ordinary color image to Bayer Color Filter Image", which are required as input images in my project.
Can anyone, help me out from this.

From Wikipedia:
The raw output of Bayer-filter cameras is referred to as a Bayer pattern image. Since each pixel is filtered to record only one of three colors, the data from each pixel cannot fully determine color on its own. To obtain a full-color image, various demosaicing algorithms can be used to interpolate a set of complete red, green, and blue values for each point.

Different algorithms requiring various amounts of computing power result in varying-quality final images. This can be done in-camera, producing a JPEG or TIFF image, or outside the camera using the raw data directly from the sensor.

Looking at this I have my doubts whether you can backward convert any image into the Bayer Color Filter Image. Reason being that a) the algorithms seem to be Intellectual Property of the various camera manufacturers and RAW converter software companies (e.g. Adobe, Capture One) and b) any compressed image is unsuitable because of the data loss during compression.
But you could use RAW files from cameras as input, they seem to be the right input material. You can use Adobe DNG converter to convert RAW formats of Canon, Nikon etc. into the Open Source format DNG where you can see all the specs and details of the file.

Hope that helps.

Hii..
first of all thank you for ur response.
Iam new to this image processing domain. And also i dont have Digital CAM, as iam that financially sound.
Can u suugest anything such that i may get these RAW Images in Internet.
Please help mee.

Thanks n Regards,
Ronny

Iam new to this image processing domain. And also i dont have Digital CAM, as iam that financially sound.
Can u suugest anything such that i may get these RAW Images in Internet.

I doubt you can find RAW files in Internet. These images simply are not meant for any publishing. In photographic terms these RAW files are the same as film negatives. You cannot use it for any publishing work, you'll need to process / convert / edit / print before you can show them. But still, you can search the web. AFAIK: Canon RAW files have the file name extension .CR2; Nikon uses .NEF. Don't know what the other cameras use.
If it's just purely for the technical experiment you can ask any of your friends with Canon, Nikon, Sony ... to snap a random picture in RAW format (must be set in the camera) and pass you the memory card. Once you got it you can start analyzing the file. As mentioned: try converting to DNG since the specs of the file format are published. Canon, Nikon etc. won't do that.
Why do you chose a topic for Masters where you don't have any existing knowledge?

Why do you chose a topic for Masters where you don't have any existing knowledge?

Because he thought others will spoon-feed him to a passing mark?

LOL. He cross-posted on DPreview and absoluteastronomy.com as well!

He's already been given lots of *very* good advice on other forums, but still insists on people supplying him with the files despite already being told what he needs to do.

Looks like a long way to his Masters then ...

Status
Not open for further replies.