Battle of the RAW converters cont'd

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightpiper

Oct 20, 2003
here r 4 contenders in this mini RAW converters battle. the nominees r Phase one pro ver 3.6, Oly Studio ver 1.2, RawShooter ver 1.1.2 & Bibble ver 4.2.2. all converters r set to default values with no sharpening or enhancement of any sort. RawShooter is free for use whereas all others r 30 days trial ver.

lets start with bibble first with the full image:

bibble-100.jpg

this is the 100% crop:

bibble-crop.jpg

next we have the RawShooter full image:

RawShoot-100.jpg

RawShooter 100% crop:

RawShoot-crop.jpg

cont'd on the next post r Studio & Phase One pro.

here we see Oly Studio with the full image:

Studio-100.jpg

the Studio 100% crop:

Studio-crop.jpg

last but not least the Phase One pro full image:

Phase-100.jpg

the Phase One Pro 100% crop:

Phase-crop.jpg

i find the work flow of Phase One very intuitive. good colours with little tweaking.

next in line is Bibble. interesting workflow & also pretty good colours.

third in place is Oly Studio. why 3rd place? well, mainly for the slow speed but colours is good.

last is the RawShooter. speed wise is ok but colour needs some tweaking before its useable.

i find the pic quality of Phase One to be closest to Oly's Studio & wins it becos of its speed, workflow & features.

these r just my personal findings & preferences. :)

edited: peek at the 100% crop, u can see the details of the tel no. from different converters. also the colours & such.

Hello Nightpiper,

Thanks for the trouble posting this personal review. If I may comment, it may help if the test subject is more varied in colour with substantially greater depth of field to observe detail rendition.

Coincidentally, dpreview has one poster doing a more limited version between Studio & CaptureOne Pro 3.7. Since I'm not au fait with the latter, may I refer you to

http://www.snowhenge.net/pblog/archives/cat_olympus_esystem.html

Interestingly & in agreement with yours conclusion, CaptureOne appears to have the edge over Studio in speed & intuitiveness of workflow.

The site is an interesting read on its own.

Cheers,

thx for the link. i think i will read it tom, now a little tied up.

i saw the Phase One ver3.7 but it seems like its in beta stage (Release Candidate 1) so only tried the ver 3.6. when it becomes official, i will try it again. :)

i think Phase One has improved quite a lot since the last time i tried it (that time still no E1 support). anyone looking for smooth workflow shud seriously look at Phase One. colour is very close to Oly's Studio, & much more features & function to facilitate the RAW conversion process. in short, very powerful & smooth to use. :) :thumbsup:

hi guys, i have just updated this converters comparison with a more colourful image as pointed out by chancy.

now u can have a better look at how each converter handles red, blue, yellow & green. also the details rendering is observed.

though this is not a comprehensive test but, hopefully this is still useful to u guys. :)

any input is welcome. :lovegrin:

I personnally think that RSE produces a clearer image than Bibble as both the colours look the same to me. But Studio still produces the best colours.

nightpiper said:
hi guys, i have just updated this converters comparison with a more colourful image as pointed out by chancy.

now u can have a better look at how each converter handles red, blue, yellow & green. also the details rendering is observed.

though this is not a comprehensive test but, hopefully this is still useful to u guys. :)

any input is welcome. :lovegrin:

Hello Nightpiper,

Nice of you to consider my feedback ... my turn :)

Bibble
- Intense colours of blue yellow & green, especially excavator which from memory appears unnatural.

RawShooter
- the reverse of Bibble, generally flat & desaturated, somewhat lifeless.

Studio
- Contrasty, punchy if slightly unreal colours, colour detail preserved. Orangy excavator colour closer to reality

PhaseOne
- neutral colour reproduction with aliasing effects in the orange causing detail loss. Orangy excavator colour closer to reality

My 2 colour-blind cents, taking into account JPEG conversions may have affected the image quality.

Thanks for the effort !

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.