Battle of the Lens....session 1 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sulhan

May 11, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.md-sulhan.com
Hi everyone.....

The 1st session for the Minolta Battle of the Lens session was conducted successfully this morning. Thanks to Forbytes for his leadership and logistics arrangements. We have great fun trying out the different lenses durign the session. Here are some wrap-up on the lens tested during the session...and some pics of the conduct of the session....

BAT1.JPG

BAT2.JPG

Inspite of the tight schedules....thanks for those who have attanded the session....this is fun!!!!!! nly missing some souveniers from KM....kekekekek!!!

What are these sessions for.....?
Well....these session were part of the initiative of some minolta users here in Cs who felt that we ought to have our own local effort on testing and reviewing of lens - apart from those that we read from the web or magazines.
It also give the chance to newbies to have achance to try out some shots and handle these lenses in a relaxed and fun environment. Hopefuly the results obtained from these sessions would be part of our own CS database of lens reviews....

rgds,
sulhan

Wah sulhan, so fast the pics come out orredy.

Anyway, nice to have met up with some fellow Minoltans today. Thanx forbytes, porshee and sulhan for all the tips, lenses and stories.

LH.

Wow!! The banners look exciting!! :D

You guys must have a lot of fun out there! :bsmilie:

Good work, forbytes!

And of course, the creator of the banners - Sulhan!! Excellent work :thumbsup:

Guys,

i would like to contribute also.
i'm having the

1) 20mm-35mm 3.5-4.5 tokina
2) 80mm-200mm 2.8 ATX pro Tokina
3) 90mm 2.8 Tamron
4) 17mm 3.5 Minolta
5) 80mm 1.7 minolta (u guys have tried....)

it was really graet today thanks guys!!!
hope there'll be more of such outings!!

ninelives said:
why the shock face??

The time was 10.00am and the location - on the bridge opposite fillerton.
Its really HOT!!!!! and HUMID!!!!!!!......The group was truly supportive to endure the sun to conduct the lens test.

SO the face crumple like shock mah....

As for the ballhead......we use the ballhead for faster setup and adjustment....

rgds,
sulhan

UY79 said:
Hi,

May I know why lens hoods were not used during testing?

Cheers!

The lens hood were not used to get a feel on how flare control of the lens were handled by the design of each lens....- worst case condition....

rgds,
sulhan

sulhan said:
The lens hood were not used to get a feel on how flare control of the lens were handled by the design of each lens....- worst case condition....

rgds,
sulhan

Hi,

But that is only for testing lens flare right? Other tests such as resolving power, colours reproduction should have hood on to see how good the lens is in normal situation. Lens hood are designed for each lens to help improve contrast and prevent flare from reflected sources too. Without the hood on, there's going to be "white noise" induced into the photo.

Hi,

Indeed that lens hood can reduce flare. But not all lens have lens hood. Lens hood are also of different design, some flower, some circular. Each is designed for different angle of cutting flare. Remove them puts them on a more common platform. White noise may be present, but it is not affecting the entire image. Flare did not show up in the view finder, presume it is not there. As for the hood, once drop into the river, consider lost. :cry:

As for colour reproduction, there was no reflected light source and we are shooting back facing the sun. Not a problem with that. :)

sulhan said:
As for the ballhead......we use the ballhead for faster setup and adjustment....
It wouldn't be my first choice in a lens test. Still, we live and learn.

I wrote down some steps I took in my last lens test.

Took me until the third test before I got everything right :), so I'm not too particular about anyone's first try, especially a group attempt.

UY79 said:
Hi,

But that is only for testing lens flare right? Other tests such as resolving power, colours reproduction should have hood on to see how good the lens is in normal situation. Lens hood are designed for each lens to help improve contrast and prevent flare from reflected sources too. Without the hood on, there's going to be "white noise" induced into the photo.

Hiee..

Well...the workflow and review that was done was based on what the organizer feels suitable and representative. Therefore there may be many different school of thoughts especially i terms of lens testing/reviews etc....
I just have to give a big thumbs up for the effort of the key organizer....

As for the normal situation.....it may be preference for some though as some .....lens even are sold without lens hood.....so.....i guess the organizers chose not to use hood for this exercise.

Well...now that we have done the first round of such a session....at least we have the experiece to go on......

have fun guyz!!!!

rgds,
sulhan

Hi,

One important suggestion to be given to the next organiser of such event (who knows may be me again :confused: ), must indent Jerry Can!!! if the event is going to be conducted in the open ;)

forbytes said:
Hi,

One important suggestion to be given to the next organiser of such event (who knows may be me again :confused: ), must indent Jerry Can!!! if the event is going to be conducted in the open ;)

Wah.. need TSR briefing, 7 hours minimum rest plus medic standby or not? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.