Battle of the lens (Minolta Mount)

Status
Not open for further replies.

forbytes

Jun 2, 2003
West, Singapore
forbytes.clubsnap.org
Hi fellow Minolta shooters,

I believe that some of you are often puzzled about the performance of Minolta and 3rd party lens. As Sulhan had previously written, he intended to have an outing for the battle of the lens. I have long intended to get this done, but I need the aid of you fellow Minolta shooters. I hope to gather as many different 3rd party lens as possible to do a shootout of a same target. (intended location at the bridge in front of fullerton). The lens will only be loaned during the shooting and will not be borrowed home. You can see the entire process.

Attributes of the lens includes: colour, sharpness, bokeh, distortion, pincushion and AF (also depend on aperture size).

A short write up will be the final product of this gathering, which also includes pictures. Focus of the write up will be colour then sharpness. Bokeh can be included if a suitable subject and lens is available. This write up will be useful for people planning lens upgrade, and to justify cost versus performance.

Logistic required: 2nd body with tripod, Minolta AF compatible lens (kit lens also welcome)
Logistic provided: slides, developing, 1 body with tripod, 24-85, 80-200, 50/1.4 (49mm), IT8 target, landscape (outdoor), calibrated film scanner
Intended date: Weekend with natural daylight

Any supporters for this plan? :sweatsm:

P.S.: Sulhan, when will you be coming back?

yo Bro.....Looks like a ALL OUT Plan!!!!!! :thumbsup:

I'll be back by the 22nd......i would like to help....

BTW:
Here are some lens available for this "Battle".....

Third Party:
------------
Sigma 70-300mm APO
Sigma 1.4x APO
Sigma 2x APO
Tokina 19-35mm f3.5-4.5
Cosina 100-300mm* need to check if still avialable

Minolta:
--------
50mm f1.7
24-85mm f3.5-4.5
35-70mm f4

I think forbs, hope that all the available lens could be tabulated for all to have as ref....

I can sponsor ~2 rolls of slides if needed....

rgds,
sulhan

my humble bodies maxxum7 / dynax 5
& lenses Tamron SP24-135mm, Vivitar 19-35mm and Tamron SP90mm are at ur service! :)

Thanks guys for all the support. I sincerely hope that you guys/gals (you know who you are, only 1 gal mah, I think) will be present. This is because these lens are your price possessions and I want to concentrate on shooting while the sponsors handle the lens.

No worries about slides, I have more than enough, the slides I will be using are from the same batch. so no colour shift discripancies. The amount of lens is quite wide, but there are also a few more spots such as 70-210 f4 and other prime lens as well.

Need an extra body preferable dynax 7 to have consistant metering + extra release cable (short or long also can).

So now we need to choose the big day to sort them out.

I have Tamron 28-200 F3.5-5.6. However, I'm not sure if I can attend the shootout or not. Do keep me posted of the date, time and place.

I applaud the enthusiasm for battle of the lens. However, it may appear too simplistic to compare so many lens at 1 go. Even commercial reviews only compare between 2 or 3 lenses at 1 time. Then again, I guess we are only focussing on optical quality? Cos magazine reviews include other variables, including handling, built etc. This is especially since different lens have different strengths and weaknesses. I thought I'll highlight a few so that the assessors will take note and make this test as worthwhile as possible.

This includes distortion at the extreme focal lengths for zooms, sweet spot for different lens.

We may also like to compare zooms of similar focal length in 1 category, primes in another, pure macro lens in another. Otherwise, it'll be like comparing orange and apples.

My humble Sigma 28/1.8 is at your service! :D

yeocolin said:
I have Tamron 28-200 F3.5-5.6. However, I'm not sure if I can attend the shootout or not. Do keep me posted of the date, time and place.

I applaud the enthusiasm for battle of the lens. However, it may appear too simplistic to compare so many lens at 1 go. Even commercial reviews only compare between 2 or 3 lenses at 1 time. Then again, I guess we are only focussing on optical quality? Cos magazine reviews include other variables, including handling, built etc. This is especially since different lens have different strengths and weaknesses. I thought I'll highlight a few so that the assessors will take note and make this test as worthwhile as possible.

This includes distortion at the extreme focal lengths for zooms, sweet spot for different lens.

We may also like to compare zooms of similar focal length in 1 category, primes in another, pure macro lens in another. Otherwise, it'll be like comparing orange and apples.

Firstly, I would like to thank Colin for his construction suggestions. Do keep them coming. :thumbsup:

Reviews or write up like these are always prone to flames and discredits. It is normal and expected. I can only say learn from mistakes and be ready to acknowledge mistakes and not bluff the way through. That is what I learnt from my work. Test methodology should be simple and repeatable so that others interested in conducting the same test is able to reproduce same results (or within tolerance).

I do agree that commercial reviews limit themselves to a few lens, in fact typically less than 3, because they are usually from the same class such as all from zoom or prime of different brand. This is to avoid the apple to orange comparison. We should be able to pull out enough lens to fill each categories. And also, given the manpower, we should be able to do it quickly.

Handling and test is quite subjective to an individual. I suggest a few of the users who turn up for the outing be the panel of judges. I will do the survey form and issue to these judges. They will handle them for a short while and fill in the survey forms. Everyone will have a part to play in the write up. *I hope you guys are not too annoyed that the lens will be passing from hands to hands*. I personally thank Colin for pointing this out. I hope we are the pioneer for this test methodology, instead of hearing the one-sided story.

Certain test can only be carried out to determine the distortion and sharpness of lens. Older lens typically have numerical database to show these information. But results like colour are missing. I hope we can fill up some of the missing details. As for newer lens, to conduct MTF lens test and distortion test, well, that will have to wait. Distortion test are relatively easy to do. MTF test targets are quite expansive (about $400+) shipped in from US. We are hobbylist to semi-pro level :lovegrin: and unlikely to spend such amount of money for testing of a few lens right.

Yo Forbytes,

You sure you want to test so many lenses at one go?? Siong leh!!

I've done some simple testing for both 50mm f/1.4 and f/1.7 before I sell the 1.7 away.. Just see how many frames that I run thru just to compare the both prime lenses. For a zoom lens, I think you need 3 times more shoots (WA, Med and tele focal length). Si Kiao Kiao :bsmilie:

http://www.racandes.com/images/Minolta-50vs50-case-1.jpg

http://www.racandes.com/images/Minolta-50vs50-case-2.jpg

http://www.racandes.com/images/Minolta-50vs50-case-3.jpg

http://www.racandes.com/images/Minolta-50vs50-case-4.jpg

Shall we test the lenses when Sulhan and Forbytes got their 7D? ;)

To both,

Below lenses are at your service (if I'm around on the event day)....

1. Minolta 100mm Macro non-D version
2. Tamron AF Aspherical XR IF 28mm-300mm
3. Kit lens: 28mm-80mm & 75mm-300mm

Cheers

Hi, my possible contributions are:

24-105 f3.5-4.5 D
100-300 f4.5-5.6 APO
17-35 f3.5 G
Tamron 90 f2.8 Macro

If you guys are keen to try out any of the older lenses, I could also provide:

70-210 f4
100-200 f4.5
24-50 f4-4.5
28-135 f4-4.5

But I think it would be more relevant to test the current lenses than the discontinued ones, and also a lot easier on the load that I willl have to bring :sweat:

i think all of my lenses are in the list above already. but if you need backup, here's mine...

body:
Dynax 5

lens:

kit lens 28-80 and 75-300
minolta 50mm/1.4
tokina 28-70/2.6-2.8 (pro II)

i do not know anything about how to go about testing a lens. but would certainly appreciate if we can have such a list including if possible the current price or last retail price. the one we have now on lens owners, sadly, is no longer updated. sigh.

same as reny, i guess i can only offer mine as backup.
body: 505si

i have an old 2nd hand 50/1.7 but i'm not sure if there are a couple of scratches on the front element :p

btw, you guys ROCK.

Thanks guys/gals, I need time to compile this thread and task who to bring what lens. There are quite a few repeats. For those who were not task to bring any lens, you can still bring what you have with you and join in the event. Proper recording/coordination is important for such task. Please come down as you can also be involved in the panel of the build and handling test.

Remember, more people more fun. :)

Secondary issue: most likely your protective filters will be removed in the event. If you do not allow that, please indicate now so that I can compile a more accurate summary. Thanks. No offence to anyone. :sweat:

vivientan said:
I have the following :

Lenses : Minolta 50 f/1.4 & Tamron 28-200 f/3.5-5.6

Bodies : Maxxum 7 & 404si

:)

Lend you my 28-85 f/3.5-4.5 and 28-135 f/4 - 4.5 to test out? :)

when's the date ?
pending that,

I can supply Sigma EX 17-35mm F2.8-4
( the lens that Sulhan was interested ? but overseas ?? : ))

And if you need instant gratification
I can supply my ancient RD-175
which btw is uppz for sale : ) // shameless plug to my thread //

( but do not know if the 1.75mp can resolve enough for you to form
opinion on lens )

Ratboy

The only lens that I see doesn't repeat here.. is Sigma 15-30.

At your service! :D

(But depending on the date/time)

ratboy said:
And if you need instant gratification
I can supply my ancient RD-175

Good idea!! But I wonder will it work with 3rd party lens

ratboy said:
which btw is uppz for sale : ) // shameless plug to my thread //

You got it brand new last time? How much was it then?

Status
Not open for further replies.