Battery Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdubs

Jun 6, 2006
Vancouver, BC
www.fotop.net
Hi, I just bought a 430 ex flash with two packs of 4 AA sanyo (2500) batteries.

When I use the flash, How do I know when the batteries are dying and I should change them?

I own a 20D with only one battery. Usually, before an important event, I put my battery to charge, even if its not fully discharged. I know is not healthy for the battery so is there a way to get around that or the canon charger will discharge the battery for me b4 charging???

Thanks in advance for the help

tdubs said:
Hi, I just bought a 430 ex flash with two packs of 4 AA sanyo (2500) batteries.

When I use the flash, How do I know when the batteries are dying and I should change them?

I own a 20D with only one battery. Usually, before an important event, I put my battery to charge, even if its not fully discharged. I know is not healthy for the battery so is there a way to get around that or the canon charger will discharge the battery for me b4 charging???

Thanks in advance for the help

not sure if this apply to all flash, but when the battery is getting weak, you will feel that the recharge time becomes longer which also means its time to change a new set of battery
as far as i know nowaday camera battery which uses Lithium ion (include 20D batt) doesn't have to be fully discharge before charging

i dunno about canon's flashes but on nikon flashes, the zoom motor inside the head will go crazy to "alert" you that the battery is almost dead.

the flash sometimes 'die' off (the power led becomes no light) suddenly and you will find your pictures getting underexposed, that means your battery is either overheated/used or cant keep up with the refreshing rate.

The experts may correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that only Ni-Cd batts need to be fully discharged before re-charge to counter the "memory effect". It is not necessary for Ni-MH or Li-Ion.

And as for flashes, the moment you find that your recharge cycle is slowing down, change batt immediately, especially if you're shooting an important time-crucial event. While alkaline batts gradually fade out, Ni-MH run out of juice very suddenly. Will be very awkward if your batt dies just as you're about to snap a pic of something v impt.

Hope this helps.

synapseman said:
The experts may correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that only Ni-Cd batts need to be fully discharged before re-charge to counter the "memory effect". It is not necessary for Ni-MH or Li-Ion.

Actually, NiMH batteries have memory effects as well, just not as bad as NiCd batteries. Li-ion batteries are the best in this regard.

NiMH batteries have a severe self-discharge problem as well.

thw said:
Actually, NiMH batteries have memory effects as well, just not as bad as NiCd batteries. Li-ion batteries are the best in this regard.

NiMH batteries have a severe self-discharge problem as well.
Agree, unless you are using Sanyo eneloop NiMH.

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.