Battery or charger problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WuffRuff

Jan 10, 2007
opp. East Coast Park
The life of my batteries (for Canon 400D) have a sudden significant drop in performance, i.e. don't last long before going flat. I have 2 batteries - 1 original and 1 cheong. Both batteries seem to have a significant drop but the cheong one is exceptionally attrocious (about 20 non-flash normal exposure photos). I also noticed that together with this performance drop, the charge time is very short too. The cheong battery can go from fully flat to fully charged in like 10 mins... which is very unusual; used to take an hour or so. The original battery too showed the same symtoms... shorter charge time than usual and shorter battery life. I do note that these batteries are almost 2 years old and it's not unusual that their life is shorter, but due to the shorter charge time, I am not sure if the problem is that the charger is faulty and not charging the batteries properly, or it is the batteries that have a shorter life now due to old age and hence shorter charge time. I suspect it is the charger that is problematic because if it is the battery that is faulty, it is very coincidental that both batteries showed a performance drop at the exact same time. And both batteries started to have shorter charge time at the same time. Anyone knows how to check if battery or charger is faulty? I need to know which one has the problem in order to know which one to replace right?

Cant tell... but lithium cells cant be left drained for too long. They will deteriorate. This is why they come half-charged when u buy them.

:)

Go loan a spare charger and check. If it can top up the charge properly, it may be the charger issue, but it may also be a case of battery deterioration.

Cant tell... but lithium cells cant be left drained for too long. They will deteriorate. This is why they come half-charged when u buy them.

:)

They are never left drained... I usually charge them on the same day that I get home from a shoot.

The life of my batteries (for Canon 400D) have a sudden significant drop in performance, i.e. don't last long before going flat. I have 2 batteries - 1 original and 1 cheong. Both batteries seem to have a significant drop but the cheong one is exceptionally attrocious (about 20 non-flash normal exposure photos). I also noticed that together with this performance drop, the charge time is very short too. The cheong battery can go from fully flat to fully charged in like 10 mins... which is very unusual; used to take an hour or so. The original battery too showed the same symtoms... shorter charge time than usual and shorter battery life. I do note that these batteries are almost 2 years old and it's not unusual that their life is shorter, but due to the shorter charge time, I am not sure if the problem is that the charger is faulty and not charging the batteries properly, or it is the batteries that have a shorter life now due to old age and hence shorter charge time. I suspect it is the charger that is problematic because if it is the battery that is faulty, it is very coincidental that both batteries showed a performance drop at the exact same time. And both batteries started to have shorter charge time at the same time. Anyone knows how to check if battery or charger is faulty? I need to know which one has the problem in order to know which one to replace right?
how long do you leave the battery in the charger after full charge?

Sounds suspiciously like a charger problem. My old BP-511A (30D battery) charger had the same problem. After cleaning the contacts, the problem was remedied.

how long do you leave the battery in the charger after full charge?

I turn off the main power as soon as I see it is fully charged.

Sounds suspiciously like a charger problem. My old BP-511A (30D battery) charger had the same problem. After cleaning the contacts, the problem was remedied.

Hmm.... thanks... I will try that. Hope it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.