Battery Life for Speedlite

Bulaienn

Oct 27, 2013
Singapore
Recently I've purchase a Canon E-TTL Speedlite (By Pixel Mago).

The problem I have with it is that it drains my battery within an hour! Is there something with the settings that causes this power drainage to happen? Or it's just rechargable batteries are more recommended for Speedlites.

On the side note, is there any power adapter for the above mentioned Speedlite? Like connected to a wall plug for external power. Responses will be appreciated! Thanks!

if you fire your flash at full power or near full power, of course it will draw more battery juice.
most people who use flash more often, will opt to have rechargeable batteries instead of using Alkaline batteries.

no, most flash unit does not come with a port able to take 220V current, however, there are external battery pack available but not all flash unit able to use that.

anyway, I will be more concern on how the way you fire your flash, than the power drainage, if you keep fire your flash in this manner, you will blow the flash tube very very soon.

if you fire your flash at full power or near full power, of course it will draw more battery juice.
most people who use flash more often, will opt to have rechargeable batteries instead of using Alkaline batteries.

no, most flash unit does not come with a port able to take 220V current, however, there are external battery pack available but not all flash unit able to use that.

anyway, I will be more concern on how the way you fire your flash, than the power drainage, if you keep fire your flash in this manner, you will blow the flash tube very very soon.

I've actually only used the flash for about <20 shots at a photobooth i was setting up. The batteries were brand new as well. But thanks for the reply! I'll look at how to have a low power usage instead of firing it at full flash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've actually only used the flash for about <20 shots at a photobooth i was setting up. The batteries were brand new as well. But thanks for the reply! I'll look at how to have a low power usage instead of firing it at full flash.

hotshoe flash is not design to use in this way.
a studio strobe is more suitable and more robust on such usage.

hotshoe flash is not design to use in this way.
a studio strobe is more suitable and more robust on such usage.

I was actually thinking of using it for outdoor shots. Any models you'd recommend? The Speedlites look the same. :/

Less than 20 shots per set of batteries even at full power is definitely not normal. I suggest you confirm that that it is not the fault of the batteries. Buy a new pack of branded batteries (Energisers, Duracell etc) from a supermarket. They could be more expensive but you want to be sure you are getting good batteries. (Side note: some store may sell batteries cheaply - not sure they are fakes but it could be close to or already expired). If your flash performs normally after this test, then your problem is solved.

If you are still getting below 20 full power (or even 50) flashes per set of batteries, then your flash is definitely faulty and need to be serviced. This is a very conservative number as the specs for the pixel mago flash is 150 flashes at 1/1 with Sony eneloops (rechargeables).

If you want want to shoot a lot of photos (in the hundreds) without changing batteries, then consider getting an external battery pack.

Actually it would be good to list down the model of the flash and the batteries that you are using to help us diagnose more into your problem. :)

20 shots is way too little. Did a small search and Pixel Mago is rated for 100+ shots even on full power. Do try it out with a different brand or type of battery. My hunch is that you got a bad speedlite, test it out and get it exchanged ASAP if it is not a battery fault.

Or it's just rechargable batteries are more recommended for Speedlites.
Are you using disposable (alkaline) batteries? Maybe even some China copy of an otherwise well-known brands? No suprise then.
Alkaline batteries (Zinc/Carbon types) do not deliver the same poower (Ampere and capacity) as rechargeable batteries (NiMH). They are down very quickly, especially of it's the said cheap China copy.
Get rechargeable batteroes, some camera shops sell sets of charger and battery packs. Try again and tell us what you see.

Last edited:
Did a little search, TS bought a Pixel speedlite for Canon, model is Mago, lol. TS wasn't really clear in stating that.

As per fellow CSers had mentioned, if you are using rechargeable or alkaline batteries to power the flash, you might have a bad copy of the flash.

Do what they suggest to test the flash, and ask for replacement if you deemed fit. :)