Battery Leak.. how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lytefunk

Feb 15, 2002
Visit site
:cry: Found an ollllldd camera in a box some days back... bad news is.. I left the batteries in there the last time I used it (er... more than a year before) and theres the white crystalisation thing cause by the battery leak..

So...

Is there any solution to this problem?? To get it to working condition again?

Is it even repairable? This kind of damage

If it is, how much would it cost at say.. TCW? Any idea ?

:cry:

If it's really old, then it might not be worth it to clean it up. Anyway, if the battery fluid has not penetrated the main camera compartment (ie its just restricted to the battery compartment), then it should be relatively easy to clean up the mess (or replace the corroded contacts) and use the camera.

hmmmm
its a Nikon F501..
Anybody wants a vintage F501 bought in 1986?
Working perfectly fine the last time I used it..

;)

lytefunk said:
hmmmm
its a Nikon F501..

;)

if u are willing to spend money on it, i suggest that you bring it to Nikon for a check.

lytefunk said:
hmmmm
its a Nikon F501..

;)

steady la
no need buy new dslr or slr laioz

buy rc car! :blah:

lytefunk said:
:cry: Found an ollllldd camera in a box some days back... bad news is.. I left the batteries in there the last time I used it (er... more than a year before) and theres the white crystalisation thing cause by the battery leak..

So...

Is there any solution to this problem?? To get it to working condition again?

Is it even repairable? This kind of damage

If it is, how much would it cost at say.. TCW? Any idea ?

:cry:

you can clean the white corrosion with a bit of white vinegar. dip a cotton bud in some white vinegar and slowly apply to the corroded surfaces. let it soak in for a while, then wipe off.

if the battery acid hasn't gotten to the camera's electronics, there's a good chance that you can still revive it.

great

The vinegar works.. really well too..
you get to see bubbles from the chemical reaction near the contacts too
manage to get most of the white crystalisation off =)

And it works!

Part 2.. Some of the contacts are partially rusty... any solutions to remove rust? or any idea how to change the contacts??

lytefunk said:
great

The vinegar works.. really well too..
you get to see bubbles from the chemical reaction near the contacts too
manage to get most of the white crystalisation off =)

And it works!

Part 2.. Some of the contacts are partially rusty... any solutions to remove rust? or any idea how to change the contacts??

it's really amazing what ordinary household stuff can do.

nothing much you can do with rust though. suggest you stick a bit of fine grain sand paper on the end of a matchstick or toothpic and rub the rust off, that's about it. don't forget to have your blower nearby to blow away any rust particles before they get into the camera.

if you want to change the contacts, you'll need a donor camera for the parts. but it's best to leave that to the experts.

Status
Not open for further replies.