Battery Grips

Status
Not open for further replies.

deckb5

Jul 3, 2008
Hi everyone, I'm quite unfamiliar with battery grips so I have a question:

I understand a section is fitted into the camera. It appears to be the battery which is slotted into the battery slot right? So, when you purchase a battery grip, do you still get to use your own battery(which came with the camera)?

So for that section that is fitted into the camera, is it just a holder for the original battery, or is it a battery on it's own?

Battery grips can hold double the amount of batteries of what usually the dslr can. Runs on cam's original batteries and/or triple A batteries.

Hey thanks for the quick reply!

Hmmm, so the extension which goes into the camera is actually where the camera's original battery sits in?

U have 2 choices. The plastic battery holder that comes with the grip is for AA size battery. If u want to use the lithium battery that comes with ur camera. U have to take out the plastic holder and slot in the lithium battery into the left or right compartment ( u can purchase 1 extra lithium battery if you want to use 2 battery at one go)

Hmmm, so the extension which goes into the camera is actually where the camera's original battery sits in?

Yes, it slots into the place where the original battery sits. Which means: you need to remove the battery first. Also, on Canon cameras you need to remove the plastic lid of the battery compartment (not sure about other brands). The plastic lid can be slot into the the part of the grip that goes into the battery compartment of the cam, there is a prepared slot for it.
Next: open the battery compartment of the grip. Usually you have two inserts here: one for 2 original camera batteries (working in parallel) and another insert for 6x AA batteries. Insert the batteries and that's it.

Hey thanks for the quick reply!

Yes... but you may have to remove your battery cover. There is usually a "screw" to attach the Grip & the Camera together... :)

Hi everyone, I'm quite unfamiliar with battery grips so I have a question:

I understand a section is fitted into the camera. It appears to be the battery which is slotted into the battery slot right? So, when you purchase a battery grip, do you still get to use your own battery(which came with the camera)?

So for that section that is fitted into the camera, is it just a holder for the original battery, or is it a battery on it's own?

There are basically two types of grips depending on the brand. One is like the common L shape thingy which need to be slotted into the original battery compartment (canon's 40D,450D, nikon MB-D80, MB-D200 etc) The other type will be just the lower piece without the extention. Look for nikon MB-D10, and pentax k10/20D's battery grip and you've a better idea. Nevertheless both fulfil the same purposes of providing compartment for extra battery power and for the case of Nikon MB-D10, to enable moe fps if using different batteries.

AH that's great. Thank you all for the response!

AH that's great. Thank you all for the response!

so have you decided to go for original or 3rd party? check out the MOs in order not to miss the boat. Price wise, I believed you already have an idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.