Battery grips

KitKatKiat

Jan 9, 2012
Singapore, Punggol
twitter.com
I'm currently using a canon 600D and on many occasions while shooting, I noticed a lot of people using battery grips.
As a newbie, I wanna ask what's the purpose of it?? Is it really necessary for new users like me?
And what's the difference between 3rd party BGs and the canon ones?
Thanks!! :)

Last edited:
Well,IMO u onli use BG when doing like continuous shots like maybe for half a day or so...unless necessary;ur battery should be able to last u for at least 5-6 hrs or more.Though it may look pro-like...i tink u shd focus on ur shots rather than adding more weight to ur body...Unless u really nid the grip,if not it will be as good as a white elephant.As for 3rd party BGs n the Canon one,its reali up to individual...though i would recommend using Canon BG...still its reali subjective,just my 2 cents...

Marcus7 said:
Well,IMO u onli use BG when doing like continuous shots like maybe for half a day or so...unless necessary;ur battery should be able to last u for at least 5-6 hrs or more.Though it may look pro-like...i tink u shd focus on ur shots rather than adding more weight to ur body...Unless u really nid the grip,if not it will be as good as a white elephant.As for 3rd party BGs n the Canon one,its reali up to individual...though i would recommend using Canon BG...still its reali subjective,just my 2 cents...

It's not only that. If you know that you will be shooting in portrait orientation for most shots that day, a battery grip will make it easier. Also, people add a battery grip to solve the "hanging pinkie" problem. The extra grip allows them to hold the camera more comfortably.

Last edited:
I'm currently using a canon 600D and on many occasions while shooting, I noticed a lot of people using battery grips.
As a newbie, I wanna ask what's the purpose of it?? Is it really necessary for new users like me?

Battery grips offer:
- more juice, you can shoot longer without changing a new set of batteries
- better weight distribution especially when you are using a big/ heavier lens
- second shutter button at vertical position

3rd party grips sometimes offer more functionalities e.g. IR window for remote trigger but most of the 3rd party grips are not as well built as originals. You might have compatibility issues as well. Go for OEMs if you can afford.

ask yourself these questions before buying one

do i need that extra room for my giant hand ?
do i need that extra life for my shooting ?
do i need that extra weight for added stability ?

after that, question yourself somemore whether you can have these in return

do i even have that extra room in my bag for storing ?
do i even have that schedule/project that requires me to do continuous shooting ?
do i even have that stamina to carry the extra weight ?

the last thing we wanna do is to buy battery grip for the sake of pro-looking :( (but strangely, it is required in some occasion)

Last edited:
I do not see the point of a battery grip at all!?!?!?!

Cos my camera has one built in... :dunno:

1) To store more battery..thus extend your overall battery life..using afew instead of one.
2) add more weight and size to your camera.
3) too much money to spend.
4) adds more grip..Especially if you shooting in portrait instead of landscape

So do you think you need it?

Last edited:
Imo, they are not as relevant nowadays.
In the past before lithium batteries, they powered motors for film advance and fast shutter, as well as making up for low energy density batteries.
Now the batteries we use lasts far longer and are smaller and lighter.

So battery grips only serve for better grip and balance for some and for portrait orientation shooting, nowadays.

Last edited:
Frankly... if anyone's going for the battery grip - just because they look more pro-like is plain stupid (there I say it). I mean, looks doesn't make anyone a pro, it doesn't improve on the quality of the photos he/she took. If you want to really 'look' pro like - go and get a 1D or a D3/ D4, then you will look pro (look only).

Battery grip is not only use for extending the battery life of your camera... it's main use is for people with bigger hands to hold more comfortably to their smallish camera and also when you took alot of portrait shots (vertical shots) then yes battery grip is a good accessory to get. However if you just want to look pro - then it is a stupid weigh adding item to get.

Like what pinholecam had said... it is irrelevant for nowadays camera which had far longer lasting batteries as compared to olden days and so if battery juice is your concern... I think you can erase that concern... I mean... I just came back from a trip to Australia and I haven't even use up 1 battery... what you should focus on is to plan for a shot, compose, then shoot, rather than go machinegun and fired at everything that moves... that way, you can save some juice... and normally 2 batteries are more than enough... one finished, load another one... afterall... it wouldn't be a matter of minutes... rather, you just need a few seconds to accomplish that task.

However, if anyone who really really need a battery grip... third party one is good enough. But I would tend to go for the original one. I have a third party one in the past for my 1000D (it is really small, and holding it for long, really give me some discomfort)... I found that my batteries life were drained pretty quickly even when they are fully charged and I was not using the camera at all... but not all third party is bad... just that I have a bad experience with one and so once bitten twice shy, I only go for the original one for the grip.

sad but true... nowadays people just get them because they think it looks more cool and pro..(often heard it when im on the train..bus..and even had some friend already doing it..)
To make thing worst..some even get or save the hell up for premium/pro lens just because they think people will go wow..or ahh over them. Not being sour but..IMO i think the agenda is alittle awkward. But well.. no right or wrong since everybody do things for a reason of their own..heh..

To make thing worst..some even get or save the hell up for premium/pro lens just because they think people will go wow..or ahh over them. Not being sour but..IMO i think the agenda is alittle awkward. But well.. no right or wrong since everybody do things for a reason of their own..heh..

come to think of it, I once joined a weekend budget model shoot and seen an a-hole who brought his 200 f/2 or 300 f/2.8 out to shoot. :bsmilie:

come to think of it, I once joined a weekend budget model shoot and seen an a-hole who brought his 200 f/2 or 300 f/2.8 out to shoot. :bsmilie:
maybe he/she prefer to shoot the photographers...back view.

Actually 200mm can also be use for portrait shooting... and some pro photographer actually did that. But for both lens, he/she might need to be standing abit farther away to get the whole view of the model...

Anyway, I know nuts about portrait shots so I will not pretend to be an expert here. Hahahaha.

I heard battery grip increase the fps for some Nikon DSLR from Scott Kelby in DTown TV. Anyone shooting with Nikon?

Actually 200mm can also be use for portrait shooting... and some pro photographer actually did that. But for both lens, he/she might need to be standing abit farther away to get the whole view of the model...

most i see is using a 70-200 f2.8 for tight portraits rather than 200 f2. the weight alone of the 200 f2 will be a killer on the back. if the model shoot is outdoors (which is usually the case for budget shoots) there isn't a real need for f2 unless it's really low light. for most, f2.8 is enough.

I heard battery grip increase the fps for some Nikon DSLR from Scott Kelby in DTown TV. Anyone shooting with Nikon?

IIRC, D300s and D700 will do that. and you need to use different batteries too, i think. though i can't remember which ones

buy a battery grip because its cool to use 6 x AA batteries with it.. :bsmilie: be sure to use sanyo eneloop glitter edition too for the bling bling effect.. :bsmilie:

but seriously the reason its called a battery grip isn't it because of the ability to hold 2 x batteries and for a better grip be it landscape or portrait.. what has it got to do with looking good with it when its the picture that came out of it that really matters.. when u show your portfolio, do you show the pictures that you take or you show your camera + battery grip with a tagline that says 'im a pro because i use a battery grip'..

Last edited:
IIRC, D300s and D700 will do that. and you need to use different batteries too, i think. though i can't remember which ones

I forgot the models they using to demonstrate. But the fps "pak pak pak" sound went up after they use the battery grip. :eek: at first.

More battery more power?

I forgot the models they using to demonstrate. But the fps "pak pak pak" sound went up after they use the battery grip. :eek: at first.

More battery more power?

I guess a higher battery voltage was supplied by the battery grip which is using the EN-EL4a batteries instead of the normal 3e batteries will give more power to drive the internal motor of D700 and D300 to enable a higher framerate.