Battery Grip

Status
Not open for further replies.

flipfreak

Nov 26, 2007
Singapore
www.rogerchua.com
i finally gave in and bought the grip for my camera last night. the new lens is making it hard to shoot in portrait usage. :embrass:

anyone got a suggestion how to tighten the locking screw on the grip so that it doesn't loosen from usage? :bsmilie:

i finally gave in and bought the grip for my camera last night. the new lens is making it hard to shoot in portrait usage. :embrass:

anyone got a suggestion how to tighten the locking screw on the grip so that it doesn't loosen from usage? :bsmilie:
Personally I would advice against tighten too tight. Canon's design is such that the knob is connected to a palstic gear, which will drives a metal gear connected to the screw. Hence tighten too tight, the plastic gear might get torn the next time you tries to take out the grip for whatever reason.

NEVER overtightened screws as doing so will cause its threads to wear, then u've a bigger problem.

Personally I would advice against tighten too tight. Canon's design is such that the knob is connected to a palstic gear, which will drives a metal gear connected to the screw. Hence tighten too tight, the plastic gear might get torn the next time you tries to take out the grip for whatever reason.

ya. tats why dun dare to overtighten. but was wondering whether theres a way to make it more secure. how abt wrapping teflon tape on the screw?

i'm more afraid of the plastic screw knob breaking, disabling the ability to unscrew the BG from the camera..

I'm using the canon E1 handstrap .. i think the strap will keep the grip from falling off the camera... can't help the loosening part tho.. always have the habit to just twist the screw a bit each time when using..

ya. tats why dun dare to overtighten. but was wondering whether theres a way to make it more secure. how abt wrapping teflon tape on the screw?
I believe using teflon tape will have the same effect of tightening the screws. Hence plastic gear in it still subject to the same high torque when attempting to unscrew. CanonG9's advice is better. Check the knob once a while....On a side note, even a car's wheel nut would needs to be check for tightness once a while. Had a colleague whose nut was loose after a few months since he last rotate his wheels.....

Get a Really Right Stuff L plate that will tighten the hold on the grip while holding onto the side.

Best part? It's got arca swiss plates on either side for portrait or landscape shooting on tripod.

Worst part? It costs about the same as your grip. Perhaps even more.

i'm more afraid of the plastic screw knob breaking, disabling the ability to unscrew the BG from the camera..

I'm using the canon E1 handstrap .. i think the strap will keep the grip from falling off the camera... can't help the loosening part tho.. always have the habit to just twist the screw a bit each time when using..

the camera just gets heavier and heavier ... :confused:

I believe using teflon tape will have the same effect of tightening the screws. Hence plastic gear in it still subject to the same high torque when attempting to unscrew. CanonG9's advice is better. Check the knob once a while....On a side note, even a car's wheel nut would needs to be check for tightness once a while. Had a colleague whose nut was loose after a few months since he last rotate his wheels.....

aiyo. true also. i think i will just make it a habit to tighten it now n then.

btw car nuts aren't suppose to come loose if it was tighten properly the first time round. :nono:

Get a Really Right Stuff L plate that will tighten the hold on the grip while holding onto the side.

Best part? It's got arca swiss plates on either side for portrait or landscape shooting on tripod.

Worst part? It costs about the same as your grip. Perhaps even more.

i am a poor man. dun recommend rrs to me. :bsmilie:

e1 strap lor.. BG and camera together, unless the BG strap pin give way, like one of the post in CS.. the E1 strap still allows use to use the neck strap.. but i find it bothersome to have someting long on the camera.. unless i gonna do lots of walking, i rather use the hand strap

e1 strap lor.. BG and camera together, unless the BG strap pin give way, like one of the post in CS.. the E1 strap still allows use to use the neck strap.. but i find it bothersome to have someting long on the camera.. unless i gonna do lots of walking, i rather use the hand strap

my e1 sit on my shelf for the longest time since i started shooting people often. ;p

u can try using afew layer of thin double side tape on the BG than screw the BG to the cam body , itwill help the BG to stick to the cam body , i have use tis , so far so good :)

hehe. great minds think alike. i thought of trying that also.

If u tighten as per normal, it will never fall off.

yup. recently i've borrowed a BG-E2 frm my friend to use with my 40D.
tighten as per normal, not too tight, it never loosened. i'm never afraid to just hold the camera by the BG with 1 hand (with lens and flash attached somemore) lol.

like what canonG9 said, just double check once in a while if u are worried.

yup. recently i've borrowed a BG-E2 frm my friend to use with my 40D.
tighten as per normal, not too tight, it never loosened. i'm never afraid to just hold the camera by the BG with 1 hand (with lens and flash attached somemore) lol.

like what canonG9 said, just double check once in a while if u are worried.

To be safe, also never support the entire weight of the camera by just holding the grip cos all the stress will be on the single screw and the threading. By doing that u'll spoil it faster.

To be safe, also never support the entire weight of the camera by just holding the grip cos all the stress will be on the single screw and the threading. By doing that u'll spoil it faster.

i don't actually do that all the time. sometimes, yea...

Status
Not open for further replies.