Battery Grip...it is really needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 10, 2008
Balestier, Singapore
I have seen a lot of photographers using a battery grip . I this just for "pose value"

I am using the canon 450 and the battery life seems very long ... and if it runs out i just put in the spare. I can imagine in certain circumstance where you are shooting sport and taking many many shots you may need one but cant see when it would be needed in other circumstances

At least 1 member got finger aches after using grip. So no vote from me.

For me, if it does not increase the frames per second on the camera, it won't be useful even for the vertical release button.

But it does makes the camera aggressive looking.

I have seen a lot of photographers using a battery grip . I this just for "pose value"

I am using the canon 450 and the battery life seems very long ... and if it runs out i just put in the spare. I can imagine in certain circumstance where you are shooting sport and taking many many shots you may need one but cant see when it would be needed in other circumstances

i have my batt grip on my D80 all the time. Besides the functional capability of having two batteries, I really love the grip as my fist is a little big.

On top of that, i feel very comfortable shooting portrait-angle with the vertical grip.

But honestly, it's up to personal preference. I overlook the extra weight for good grip and i'm totally happy with that. :)

Is still depending on individual look and usage for BG.;)
And anyways here are the 10 reasons why….

1) Have extra cash and don't know where to spend it.
2) Want to look more PRO get a BG.
3) Felt your camera like a toy get a BG and make you felt better.
4) Felt the weight is not well balance after mounted a huge lens. BG will help to balance the weight.
5) Felt you don't have enough work out for your neck get a BG to help you to build up your neck muscle.
6) Shot more on portraiture, BG will be useful.
7) Wanted to longer battery life and too lazy to change battery.
8) Back up battery is flat (forgot to charge or other reason) you can switch to AA batteries and you can get it anywhere.
9) To prevent chicken wings
10) wanted to have a 1DMkIII, but cannot afford, get a BG to temporary fulfill you dream camera.

THis is not a valid statement...just because you do not see the need for one does not mean other people have no need for it...do you think the manufacturers made battery grips just for that?

As what has been mentioned, battery grip adds to the overall weight, that gives a much better balance when a heavier lens is mounted on the camera...

Also, as what was mentioned, in case u are not aware, there is another shutter button on the battery grip, allowing people to shoot in a more comfortable and effective position when taking portrait orientated shots (unlike having the "chicken wing" position you currently engaged in ...)

Its okie that you do not see the need for one and are comfortable with your current setup...same for the others...with or without battery grips...no need to criticize....

4) Felt the weight is not well balance after mounted a huge lens. BG will help to balance the weight.
5) Felt you don't have enough work out for your neck get a BG to help you to build up your neck muscle.
8) Back up battery is flat (forgot to charge or other reason) you can switch to AA batteries and you can get it anywhere.
10) wanted to have a 1DMkIII, but cannot afford, get a BG to temporary fulfill you dream camera.

Hehe Rubber_Duck, nice 10 reasons :D

Anyways, for myself, I'm using a BG for 2 main reasons.

1. Taking of potraits
2. Join below my right thumb has issues, so stress at that point in my thumb joint is reduced when taking potraits or vertical shots.

Used to own the 400D. When gripping the camera, the last finger tend to be hanging in the air which feels uncomfortable. Putting on the battery grip helps on improve grip. There is no need to get one if your grip is ok.

Another problem with attachment battery grip is that it is not actually flat (on the LCD side), unlike those on 1D. My lips tend to hit the grip when ever I look through the viewfinder.

i use a BG and it's on 100% the moment i get it,since my d80 n now d90.

i prefer the bigger grip and also takin shots in vertical position is so much more comfortable.

but i guess it depends on what pics u like to take.

for me, portraits of my kids :)

It depends on the initial size of ur camera and hand.
When I uses 400D, the battery grip really helps me when attaching heavy and big lens such as the 135L. It eases the pain of my ring and little finger plus less shake coz of the extra weight.

After I upgraded to 5D however, I find the camera size and weight are just nice and decided that extra grip would be useless and add unnecessary weight. The 5D battery life is also already very good being able to shoot 2x16gb without recharge.

Its okie that you do not see the need for one and are comfortable with your current setup...same for the others...with or without battery grips...no need to criticize....

I think if you read my post properly I asked a question ...rather than criticising all owners of battery grips.

My question was asked to see whether I am missing something .

It's hard to explain how much more comfortable it is in portrait mode, but having a battery grip at least makes it a lot easier for me to do shots in that orientation.

might want to add... aside from wanting to look like a pro, it's an OC hehehe

it is a accessory, not must have.. unless you find it useful.

but I been using motordrive or battery grip all the time, since 80's till today, cause it provide me better a grip to my cameras.

it is a accessory, not must have.. unless you find it useful.

but I been using motordrive or battery grip all the time, since 80's till today, cause it provide me better a grip to my cameras.

i agree. having use a grip make the cam more steady when doing a shot. beside u need not worry abt battery flat. TS might like to try it before buying one.

Ask me best...lol:bsmilie:

Cause I used to be the one who laughs at people using it, and is convinced that its for posers..
till I tried it and now I tink its crucial to me.

Yes to me, to hear people say it extends batt life is still strange, how slow can u open the batt door and slide 1 in..? And if u shoot till no batt, then its just bad personal practice.

I won't know how good it is for those with long lens for balance, but i'll imagine its valid reason as well.

BUT for me, it really indispensible for
1. Overhead/low angle portrait shots.

2. Holding cam at portrait orientation, while waiting for a shot to 'happen'. Could be a person to walk pass, a 'right' expression from a performer,etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.