Battery Grip Has No Warranty

ryan123

Feb 10, 2012
I recently went to CSC to have my BG-E7 (7D grip) checked. The shutter release button is somewhat loose. The lady who attended to me acknowledged the issue. I asked her if Canon will fix it since I only bought it in less than a month from a local shop. She said no, and that I will have to pay $60 for the service. She explained that battery grips are considered as a consumable and they have no warranty. I asked about the warranty document that came with the grip when I bought it and she still insisted that I needed to pay. Needless to say that I left baffled, without having my grip "repaired".

I find it disappointing that local sets have no warranty, whereas import shops provide 1 week to up to 3 months shop warranty for their battery grips. So what happens if the grip you just bought turned out to be defective??? Bye bye hard earned cash :(

Last edited:
I recently went to CSC to have my BG-E7 (7D grip) checked. The shutter release button is somewhat loose. The lady who attended to me acknowledged the issue. I asked her if Canon will fix it since I only bought it in less than a month from a local shop. She said no, and that I will have to pay $60 for the service. She explained that battery grips are considered as a consumable and they have no warranty. I asked about the warranty document that came with the grip when I bought it and she still insisted that I needed to pay. Needless to say that I left baffled, without having my grip "repaired".

I find it disappointing that local sets have no warranty, whereas import shops provide 1 week to up to 3 months shop warranty for their battery grips. So what happens if the grip you just bought turned out to be defective??? Bye bye hard earned cash :(

There's not much you can do. Canon's policy is not to warranty their battery grips for any DSLR. Not sure why they would not stand behind their product. Perhaps a 3rd party grip would be better.

ryan123 said:

But in the 1st place, why is there a warranty card with the the battery grip? They never came with any warranty...

been using 3rd party BG for most of my DSLR, most of them provide warranty up to 6 mths.
some even provide 1 to 1 exchange within 7 - 14 days.

Only used Canon's BG for my old 50D, fortunately nothing happens.

I had some issues with my BG-E7 too, way back in 2010. Intermittent connection for all the buttons. The grip was less than 6 months old. I brought it to canon and they took it apart, apparently to clean and fix the problem. All of these at no charge.

I guess it really depends on luck.

But in the 1st place, why is there a warranty card with the the battery grip? They never came with any warranty...

Apparently only the BG-E4 and BG-E6 come with international warranty card.

Hmm I bought BG-E5 and BG-E6 in local stores and both never came with warranty... Same for things like CP-E4.

Strange though. BG-E4, BG-E6 and CP-E4 that I've bought all come with Canon international warranty. :eek:

Went down CSC with a friend to fix his BG-E7, few months old. Shop said no warranty from Canon also for any BG. So he put on the big big friendly smile on face to get his BG fixed for free.

:D - can fix for free by unofficial warranty
:angry: - have to pay sorry no warranty

Hmm I bought BG-E5 and BG-E6 in local stores and both never came with warranty... Same for things like CP-E4.

Strange though. BG-E4, BG-E6 and CP-E4 that I've bought all come with Canon international warranty. :eek:

Now this is weird.. I've always known that Canon accessories doesn't come with any warranties. Been told by Canon and their authorized dealers that battery grip definitely no warranty one. :(

Now this is weird.. I've always known that Canon accessories doesn't come with any warranties. Been told by Canon and their authorized dealers that battery grip definitely no warranty one. :(

Yeah, just called up Canon Singapore to verified it. It seems that they do not honour the international warranty. :eek:

Yeah, just called up Canon Singapore to verified it. It seems that they do not honour the international warranty. :eek:

yah.. dunno how the international warranty card gets there, I am suspecting that the shop smoked the customer or what. when I first bought a Canon battery grip, I asked the warranty question. The shop declared there's no warranty for battery grips, asked me to call Canon or check Canon website to verify. Which I did. Really no warranty. Camera Body, Lens & Speedlite got warranty. Battery grip no warranty.

Which really surprised me. Some of the battery grip like BG-E6 doesn't come CHEAP at all. If the 50mm f1.8 II has warranty, I don't see why battery grips costing the same or more doesn't warrant a warranty :(

yah.. dunno how the international warranty card gets there, I am suspecting that the shop smoked the customer or what. when I first bought a Canon battery grip, I asked the warranty question. The shop declared there's no warranty for battery grips, asked me to call Canon or check Canon website to verify. Which I did. Really no warranty. Camera Body, Lens & Speedlite got warranty. Battery grip no warranty.

Which really surprised me. Some of the battery grip like BG-E6 doesn't come CHEAP at all. If the 50mm f1.8 II has warranty, I don't see why battery grips costing the same or more doesn't warrant a warranty :(

The warranty card is valid, but the issue is that Canon Singapore doesn't honour it. Anyway the CSO that I spoke to doesn't seem to know much about the international warranty. She just mentioned that I should check with Canon Japan with regards to it. :dunno:

The warranty card is valid, but the issue is that Canon Singapore doesn't honour it. Anyway the CSO that I spoke to doesn't seem to know much about the international warranty. She just mentioned that I should check with Canon Japan with regards to it. :dunno:

really? my battery grips definitely doesn't have it. I have BG-E9 and BG-E6, both doesn't have it. Bought local set from authorized dealers (Cathay Photo and Southern Cross).
maybe I should ask Canon Japan when I visit Tokyo next week..

My only theory is that those accessories that came with international warranty cards are sold by shops that usually sells grey sets.

If the local stores like Cathay/MS/AP/John also sell Canon accessories with international warranty, something fishy is brewing.

My only theory is that those accessories that came with international warranty cards are sold by shops that usually sells grey sets.

If the local stores like Cathay/MS/AP/John also sell Canon accessories with international warranty, something fishy is brewing.

BTW I have seen sets with BOTH the Canon Singapore and Canon International warranty cards inside before :bsmilie:
From a local store, Canon SG authorized dealer.

:bsmilie: Don't be shocked to see any. ;) My BG-E4, BG-E6 and CP-E4 were all purchased locally from one of those listed shops.

Went down CSC with a friend to fix his BG-E7, few months old. Shop said no warranty from Canon also for any BG. So he put on the big big friendly smile on face to get his BG fixed for free.

While yes, of course, it's nice to be friendly and smiley, but if the situation depicted above is really how it is, it reeks of a lack of professionalism.

No one likes a sulky or angry looking customer, but certainly CSC staff shouldn't base their level of service on that.

Thanks for the all the replies. The one I bought from an authorized seller in Funan got the international warranty card. :eek:

May I know what was wrong with the grip? That prejudice is just too unfair. What if my face looks sulky even though I'm already (sort of) smiling??! ha ha

While yes, of course, it's nice to be friendly and smiley, but if the situation depicted above is really how it is, it reeks of a lack of professionalism.

No one likes a sulky or angry looking customer, but certainly CSC staff shouldn't base their level of service on that.

yes.. if CSC's internal policy is "if customer make noise make them pay, if they make noise do it under table", it's just forcing us as customer to show our angry face.