Battery Draining Out in Cabi Box

AnduTan

Jul 26, 2010
Punggol
Has anyone else besides me experienced their camera batteries draining out dry when stored in the Cabi box whilst inside the cameras for a week or so?
This has happened to me 3 times....(camera was switched off)
I have a D90 with a MB-D80 grip that holds 2 packs...
before storage they were 75% and 100%...
7 days later when I took out my camera...no life.:bigeyes:
Now recharging again! Please let me know if I am doing something NO NO.

Also, Cabi box is quite warm maintaining 49% at 30 degrees C - is this normal...
camera feels warm!

Has anyone else besides me experienced their camera batteries draining out dry when stored in the Cabi box whilst inside the cameras for a week or so?

Also, Cabi box is quite warm maintaining 49% at 30 degrees C - is this normal...
camera feels warm!

Done nothing wrong. But do remember that batteries also contain an electrolyte. The juice also can dry out over time in a dry cabinet. To be sure your battery packs is normal, take them out for a week and see whether the behavour is the same.

The operating temperature is around 28-30deg within the cabinet. You can verify that with a thermometer cum hygrometer. :cool:

Are the items inside the Cabi box supposed to feel warm?
Don't remember this in my friends cabi box.
Maybe I should take out the batts when in storage.

I don't know WHY this happened but i know it WILL happen. Lol.

That's why whenever i put my camera into the dry cabi i would remove the battery and put the battery in my camera bag. I remember there was a thread talking about this topic too. Thread title is "What do you put in your dry cabi" or something like that.

Saw a few members said it's best to take out the battery before putting it into the dry cabi, if you put the battery into the dry cabi it will have a shorten life span. (That's where i learn to remove my battery before putting my camera in too, before that i just left it in my camera.)

in case u didnt notice, the camera still continues to drain the battery even when it's off. haf u ever noticed n wondered why the viewfinder goes dim and focus points disappear after u take out the battery? that's because the viewfinder is continually eating ur battery at a slow rate even when off to maintain the brightness + the focus points etc in the viewfinder. tat's y ur batteries go flat after a week of storage whilst in cameras. in the manuals they even mentioned to remove battery after usage when u wanna store the cameras away.

well if u dun believe me, u can try this on ur own. remove the lens cap and look thru the viewfinder wif the camera off. then remove the battery n look into the viewfinder again.

it has nothing got to do with your dry cabi. even when u store them outside ur dry cabi but wif ur batts inside the cameras the results r the same.

Last edited:
Guess I will have to take them out before storage.
Will this affect the time and date in the camera or thats sucking from somewhere I don't know? Thanks for the tips.

all my batteries are inside my cameras excepts those spares, dry cabinet has no effects on Li ion batteries, seem like your batteries are poorly maintain or reach end of it life.

you only need to remove batteries for long term storage.

please do a search for maintaining Li ion batteries.

I think your batteries have seen better days and it is time to replace them. It has nothing to do with the environment in the box.

all my batteries are inside my cameras excepts those spares, dry cabinet has no effects on Li ion batteries, seem like your batteries are poorly maintain or reach end of it life.

I think your batteries have seen better days and it is time to replace them. It has nothing to do with the environment in the box.

TS mentioned that it happened to him 3 times so in order to ascertain that the batteries indeed had seen better days is to put them outside for the same period and verify that it still hold a charge or otherwise.

TS did not say how old were his batteries or how many times he has previously charged them. :confused:

Done nothing wrong. But do remember that batteries also contain an electrolyte. The juice also can dry out over time in a dry cabinet. To be sure your battery packs is normal, take them out for a week and see whether the behavour is the same.
That would only be the case if TS uses Alkaline batteries. But only daring or stingy people try to recharge them and (AFAIK) only Pentax DSLR use AA types batteries where Alkalines could be used. All other cameras live on Lithium Ion types .. and they don't leak. If they did, they would give you a nice warm firework.
Back to TS: Warm temperatures also contribute to self-discharge. That goes along with the question about the age of the batteries or whether they are original ones or 3rd party.
Another idea: take out one battery, leave only one battery in the grip and watch. Since both batteries run in parallel the one with lower charge level can affect the other one.
Your temperature is normal, it's according the climate here. Make sure the dry cabinet is not heated up by sunlight or other sources of heat. The lower RH in a dry cabinet definitely does not affect the battery charge at all.

Last edited:

I agree on this... I have kept batteries in the camera and there have never been any problems, except when my batts are old and life ending soon... have since replaced those batteries. :)

I agree on this... I have kept batteries in the camera and there have never been any problems, except when my batts are old and life ending soon... have since replaced those batteries. :)

no problems here either

No problems with mine too. Looks like your batteries may have reach its end of life. Time to get a fresh pair of batteries. If you are not planning to use your camera for weeks or a few months, its best if you take it out from your camera and store in a cool place. Cheers!

That would only be the case if TS uses Alkaline batteries. But only daring or stingy people try to recharge them and (AFAIK) only Pentax DSLR use AA types batteries where Alkalines could be used. All other cameras live on Lithium Ion types .. and they don't leak. If they did, they would give you a nice warm firework.

Bro Octarine...You're right. I've overlook that fact. Actually I was thinking about those AA batteries. My bad. :angel:

camera feels warm!

TS, question for you,

Your grip is original Nikon right (since you said MB-D80, I assume so)?

Are your batteries original Nikon batteries as well? Or 3rd party?

I never had problems with battery draining in camera in dry cab. Not even if the batteries where in there several weeks. No problems with D40x, no problems with D90, no problems with D300s. But the 3rd party battery that came as a spare for the D40x did drain faster than the other batteries.

Last edited:
TS, question for you,

Your grip is original Nikon right (since you said MB-D80, I assume so)?

Are your batteries original Nikon batteries as well? Or 3rd party?

I never had problems with battery draining in camera in dry cab. Not even if the batteries where in there several weeks. No problems with D40x, no problems with D90, no problems with D300s. But the 3rd party battery that came as a spare for the D40x did drain faster than the other batteries.

err...if I read well...this question is for me? Me Andu...
Anyway...
Yes...its an original MB-D80 nikon for my D90.
2 batteries were charged to its max juice 100%.
1 is a chiong - Apr 2010 15 Cycles <
the other is an original Nikon. - Aug 2010 5 cycles <
This rarely happens but when it drains out - its 0%.
The cam states its a 4 (new).
What is terrible is when I get the chance to shoot ...its 0%!!!
This happen 3 times and was wondering why. It has been in the Cab since I bought my cam in Apr 2010.
The odd thing is that this newer Cabi feels warm - the items inside feel warm to the touch and my digital meter reads 50% - 60% only!!! Is the heat the cause...my older analog cabi meter box is always cool maintaining the same humidity level.
hmmm,

Anyway...
This happen 3 times and was wondering why. It has been in the Cab since I bought my cam in Apr 2010.
The odd thing is that this newer Cabi feels warm - the items inside feel warm to the touch and my digital meter reads 50% - 60% only!!! Is the heat the cause...my older analog cabi meter box is always cool maintaining the same humidity level.
hmmm,

Another question for you:
Buy a hygrometer cum thermometer from DIY. It should cost no more than $15. Use it to countercheck the humidity level. It should read somewhere between 35-45%. The operating temperature is somewhere between 28-30deg. Anything outside this value should be sent back to service center. :cool:

I put batteries into dry cabinet too and it out of energy within a few days. So I take out all batteries nowadays before putting the cam back to the cabinet and the issue is almost not as drastic as before.

Anyway...
hmmm,

You have two batteries of different make and different capacities (and may have minute differences in voltages). My advice is to dump the 'chiong' battery. Original Nikon battery for D90 costs only $49 each nowadays (if you know where to get them) and they last a long time.