Battery capacity

tc811

May 20, 2005
Hi to all members, i got a question to ask. I've a Canon LP-E6 battery for Canon 7D at 1800mAh. I bought another two 3rd party battery from a shop at penisula plaza opposite cathay the old man that shop. Unfortunately i was in hurry and never checked and realised one was 3500mAh & the other 5800mAh.

Then i went to Sim Lim one battery shop who claimed that the 3rd party LP-E6 can never be higher than 1800mAh. Is that true? Than how abt those 3rd party at > 1800mAh? Are they misleading? Thanks for any answer.:)

Last edited:
Then i went to Sim Lim one battery shop who claimed that the 3rd party LP-E6 can never be higher than 1800mAh. Is that true? Than how abt those 3rd party at > 1800mAh? Are they misleading?
Short answer: yes.
I would be really interested how these jokers from 3rd party manufacturers get these capacity figures. Maybe quite entertaining... Reality is that none of these 'Wonderbra Batteries' can fulfill the claims. In best case they just last as long as the original batteries. But since original batteries tend to be chipped these days the 3rd party ones can either do their job or get rejected by the cam / charger for missing chip. Some can be used but battery charge status cannot be shown by the camera. The details will depend on camera model.
Do check the batteries carefully when using. There have been cases reported where the 3rd party battery got bloated and got stuck in the battery compartment.

Hi to all members, i got a question to ask. I've a Canon LP-E6 battery for Canon 7D at 1800mAh. I bought another two 3rd party battery from a shop at penisula plaza opposite cathay the old man that shop. Unfortunately i was in hurry and never checked and realised one was 3500mAh & the other 5800mAh.

Then i went to Sim Lim one battery shop who claimed that the 3rd party LP-E6 can never be higher than 1800mAh. Is that true? Than how abt those 3rd party at > 1800mAh? Are they misleading? Thanks for any answer.:)

Third party batteries are almost always overrated by a huge margin for marketing purposes. At our current technology only so many miliamphours can be stuffed into that little battery shell. I have a third party LP-E6 too rated at 3500mAh and yet it doesn't last as long as the Canon original

Thanks bro. Now i know that those 3rd party batteries are not really that much more.

Thanks bro. Now i know that those 3rd party batteries are not really that much more.

From my point of view they're still really worth it for the price :)
You can get like 4 third party batteries as compared to buying the original.:sweat:

I'm not criticizing the 3rd party battery. But rather I can just buy a 1800mAh 3rd party battery than those inflated to 3500mAh battery since not much diff. Still a lot of savings compared to original canon battery.

I'm not criticizing the 3rd party battery. But rather I can just buy a 1800mAh 3rd party battery than those inflated to 3500mAh battery since not much diff. Still a lot of savings compared to original canon battery.

From what i understand, the mark up on batteries is quite significant. I wonder if anyone has revealed the actual manufacturer->distro->reseller price increases.

That's not necessarily true... Any kind of lithium battery would have a chance to bloat. And usually the 3500mAh ones are much much lower capacity than the Canon 1800mAh rated ones. I suspect my 3500mAh is actually 1200mAh given that the Canon label is trustworthy.

The battery shop at sim lim claimed that since canon can only produced 1800mAh, it is difficult for 3rd parties to squeeze higher than canon, especially some as high as 5800mAh. Theirs are made and assembled in singapore at 1800mAh as compared to those made in china which claimed up to 5800mAh.

I think buy from a reputable shop and you're fine.

My 7D's 3rd party batt lasts as long as the original. Been using it for 6 months now.

And my 550D's 3rd party batt in fact lasts longer than the original. Using it for a year already.

Bought those from CP and TK. Both works just as the original would.

Last edited: