Battery and Storage Card Removal?? Do you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindSpot

May 1, 2008
Do you guys have habit of removing batteries in those AA battery cam when the cam is not in use? Or you leave it in till the next photoshoot if you use your camera like every few days?

How about the storage card too? Do you all take out and use card reader to transfer the files or install the program provided with the cam and use usb to download.

Why I am asking because I am using canon S5IS and it's a AA batteries operated cam with card slot in the same place as the batteries. So whenever I want to transfer photo and also when I do not use the cam, I like to take them out. So the frequency of opening and closing of the battery/SD card compartment cover is a lot. Will one day the cover breaks due to stress. Or am I worrying too much.

Could you could please guide me on good practice? Thanks.

If you're not using the camera for an extended time (eg a few weeks), perhaps better to remove the batteries. Alkalines, especially, tend to 'leak'.
I remove the memory card to transfer photos via card reader. Done so for > 100 times, and still all ok (touch wood). I think as long as you take care, the cover should not break off. The driver's door of a 10 year old car doesn't fall off, doesn't it?

I use NiMHs AA batteries and I will leave them in there. Can last up to 3 months of usage for the now and then type of shots

Take out all batteries if you are not using for an extended time. Even litium ion batts for hp will get "bloated" if left un-used.

haha.. i'm quite like you, i don't like opening/closing parts of my camera too much. jus a fear of damaging such a precious possession.

but a very lame fear if you think about it - the doors of the compartments are built to be opened/closed.

so don't worry, jus use it whenever you need to, just don't play around with it for no reason. :)

Okie thanks for sharing your experiences. Yeah, think I am over sensitive. As the S5IS door is also kinda hard o close when with battery, I just worry the with the kind of tension it will weaken the door over time when added to my frequent opening and closing.

I try not to be bothered by it then. Since I dislike installing camera program and cannot transfer by USB if I do not do that, I have to live with the fact I need to open and close it often.

:D Thanks for the advices guys.

The design of Canon S5IS battery door is not very good. You have to push down hard before you slide the door shut which gives you the impression that the door will not last. If people don't know what I am talking about, it is very similar to the Canon Speedlite 430EX battery door. As compare to 580EX's, the sliding shut of the door is a lot smoother.

Having said that, the battery door design is the same from S3IS and so far there is not much complaint about the busted battery doors so chances are they will last reasonably long

The design of Canon S5IS battery door is not very good. You have to push down hard before you slide the door shut which gives you the impression that the door will not last. If people don't know what I am talking about, it is very similar to the Canon Speedlite 430EX battery door. As compare to 580EX's, the sliding shut of the door is a lot smoother.

Having said that, the battery door design is the same from S3IS and so far there is not much complaint about the busted battery doors so chances are they will last reasonably long

Yes yes, that's exactly how I feel. Cos it feel like it will get stuck and great strength have to be used to close the battery door with the batteries inserted.

But of cause after some bro replied, I feel more relieve to know such door on the S5IS is made to last.

Status
Not open for further replies.