Batteries on flash units..

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaoken

Deregistered
I was wondering is there any risk of spoiling the flash units if I use Alkaline batteries instead of rechargeable batteries?

My GP rechargeable batteries on my FL-36 seems strange. It is charged about a week ago, left unused. When I put the batteries into my flash unit, these symptoms arise.. :sweat:
- Slow warm-up time
- Refresh rates seems slow

I was thinking of giving up on rechargeable batteries and use alkaline batteries like Energizer Max and Duracell as I'm not a frequent user of flash photography.
Will alkaline batteries cause "serious harm" to the flash unit with its voltage? :dunno:

Thanks. :D

Erm.. the voltage of both type of batteries is standardized. What kind of voltage are you talking about?
GP rechargeables are not known for keeping the charge very long .. rather the opposite. Get Powerex, Eneloop and the like, they can keep the charge for longer time. Slower recycling is as sign that the batteries cannot produce voltage and current that is necessary to charge the flash unit. It's like filling a bath tub with a small hose compared to the hose of firefighters :)
Next: rechargeables give their charge always fully up the last point, then they break down. When my flash starts recycling slower then I have only a few shots left before the batteries are down. Alkaline batteries slow down already after 50%, making them unusable for flash but still they have some charge left.

How about the Duracell batteries or the Energizer Lithium (extra powerful for photos - their claim) batteries?
I heard it's stronger as compared to other Alkaline batteries. :dunno:

Have anyone tried it? :think:

I was wondering is there any risk of spoiling the flash units if I use Alkaline batteries instead of rechargeable batteries?

My GP rechargeable batteries on my FL-36 seems strange. It is charged about a week ago, left unused. When I put the batteries into my flash unit, these symptoms arise.. :sweat:
- Slow warm-up time
- Refresh rates seems slow

I was thinking of giving up on rechargeable batteries and use alkaline batteries like Energizer Max and Duracell as I'm not a frequent user of flash photography.
Will alkaline batteries cause "serious harm" to the flash unit with its voltage? :dunno:

Thanks. :D
you left it up for a week. if you want to leave it like that, get a sanyo eneloop , powerex imedion or GP Recyko.

those 3 batteries can be left charged up for at least 8 months with at least 80% power .because they have super low discharge rate compared to the 2700mah.

you wish to use normal batteries ? costs a lot. do a search in the forum. battery related questions have been asked a lot of times

if you shoot with flash very often, like more than once a week, and want recycle time fast and fury, get NiMh batteries with high mAh like 2700. it is more economy to use rechargeable batteries for this type of usage.

if you shoot forthrightly or less, get NiMh batteries with good in retain charge, like Imedions or Eneloop. it is also economy to use rechagerable batteries for this type of usage.

if you shoot once in the blue moon, get lithium batteries, cheaper and good performance.

if you only shoot less than once a year, just get Alkaline batteries as and when you needed.

lastly, if you spent so much money on getting good rechargeable batteries, it only make sense that you spend double the amount to get a good charger, remember, even good rechargeable batteries also need to replace very often, good charger can last you for many years.

PS, Sanyo, Sony or Powerex NiMh batteries are highly recommended and very popular here.

Buying lithium non-rechargeables, well, I'd rather buy rechargeable NiMH's. You cover the cost in like 2 or 3 recharges, no?

Anyhow, I agree with Octarine. I would get other batteries i.e. Eneloops if you DO use flash, but don't use it frequently. Eneloops seems to be a good option. =)

btw, you still can keep using your current set of batteries, don't bother to recharge it after used, just remember to charge it before you use.

don't bother to condition the batteries, not worth the money and efforts, just use it until this set of batteries RIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.