Batteries in Battery Grip

Status
Not open for further replies.

CKCHNG

Jul 11, 2009
I'm deciding to get a BG but have this question in mind. I have a Canon original 500D LP-E5 (1080mAh) battery and a 3rd party one at 5200 mAh. If I put these 2 batteries in the BG, will there be any problem on the camera operation ? Will the juice of both batteries run out together as I understand that the camera will draw juice from both battery at the same time ? Or must I put batteries of same mAh, brand into the BG ?

I checked around in this forum but can't get the clear answer. Instead of interpreting wrongly myself, better ask you guys for help based on your experience. Thanks in advance.

I'm deciding to get a BG but have this question in mind. I have a Canon original 500D LP-E5 (1080mAh) battery and a 3rd party one at 5200 mAh. If I put these 2 batteries in the BG, will there be any problem on the camera operation ? Will the juice of both batteries run out together as I understand that the camera will draw juice from both battery at the same time ? Or must I put batteries of same mAh, brand into the BG ?

I checked around in this forum but can't get the clear answer. Instead of interpreting wrongly myself, better ask you guys for help based on your experience. Thanks in advance.

AFAIK, it's safer to have both batteries of the same voltage and capacity. Prevents leakage and stuff i think, same goes with calculators and handheld electronics.

Buy another third party battery to use in the BG and have the original as a backup.

Hi, CKCHNG.
It is not a problem at all. An original and a third party battery can co-exist in a battery grip.
The camera body will use both batteries simultaneously. From my personal experience, somehow the camera would balance out everything such that both batteries run out at the same time. (This is my own observation. I would like to know if others have the same experience.)
Therefore I sometimes put in a fully charged third party battery together with a half used original battery. It'll somehow work out just nice at the end.
My humble experience.

Thanks agentxq49.

Hi limwhow, thanks. You are right. Actually, I can't wait for any answer and went ahead to get the BG just now. In its manual, it clearly stated :

"If two battery packs are inserted, power is supplied simultaneously by both battery packs. Two battery packs with different levels can be inserted and used without any problems."

So it can be confirmed that your observation is correct.:)

Take the capacity of your 3rd party battery with a (bigger) pinch of salt. This rating is rather a wish than reality.

correct me if i m wrong. it seem like my D90 only comsume power from 1 battery at anytime even though there are 2 batteries in the bg. thk.

correct me if i m wrong. it seem like my D90 only comsume power from 1 battery at anytime even though there are 2 batteries in the bg. thk.

How do you come to that conclusion? Also, keep in mind that things applicable to Canon BG don't need to work in Nikon equipment in the same way.

Hi guys, I have a different question. I have actually bought the battery grip for my 500D. My question is, there is a "battery magazine" which allows me to use AA batteries. If I load it and leave it in my bag for standby, will the battery leak and also is it adviceable?:)

Take the capacity of your 3rd party battery with a (bigger) pinch of salt. This rating is rather a wish than reality.

You are quite right. Comparing figure with figure, 1020 mAh against 5200 mAh, the 3rd party one should last about 4 times longer. I didn't really make a comparison with these 2 batts before but feeling is the 3rd party did last longer in my camera, but not 4 times longer. I need the BG more for the grip as the 500D body was too small for my hands. :)

Yes, you are right here.
Nikon has a setting in the camera that allows us to choose which battery source to use first.
Its an entirely different from Canon's system.

Hi guys, I have a different question. I have actually bought the battery grip for my 500D. My question is, there is a "battery magazine" which allows me to use AA batteries. If I load it and leave it in my bag for standby, will the battery leak and also is it adviceable?:)

Hi,
I doubt there will be a leakage in the battery since the batteries are just sitting in the bracket. Unless they are connected to a source, if not they should not leak.
And I bring out my AA batt bracket out as standby too as well (if i am out for the whole day), just make sure you keep them in the pouch.

Whether the batteries will leak or not depends on the type of battery and also the brand. Rechargeable batteries don't leak, Lithium-Ion types will simply go off in fire if the inside substances get in touch with Oxygen. (Happens quite rarely these days, quality has improved.) Alkaline batteries will leak sooner or later, China brands are famous for "earlier" and their lousy life time even when unused. In general it's not a good idea leaving batteries unattended. If you need this magazine as standby then leave the batteries in blister package where you can see them, they can be also used as backup for flash.

sorry OCTARINE

no intention of comparing between any camp. only wish to confirm differences that i had read from this original post & my limited experience with my camera. THK :)

sorry OCTARINE

no intention of comparing between any camp. only wish to confirm differences that i had read from this original post & my limited experience with my camera. THK :)

Thk. DELLSUPERMAN

had confirm on my camera, but where can i find the setting that u mentioned. :angel:

Thk. DELLSUPERMAN

had confirm on my camera, but where can i find the setting that u mentioned. :angel:

I am using a D300, so the location might differ a bit.
I find mine under the Custom Setting Menu - Shooting / Dislpay - Battery Order.

Hope this helps..!

Thanks agentxq49.

Hi limwhow, thanks. You are right. Actually, I can't wait for any answer and went ahead to get the BG just now. In its manual, it clearly stated :

"If two battery packs are inserted, power is supplied simultaneously by both battery packs. Two battery packs with different levels can be inserted and used without any problems."

So it can be confirmed that your observation is correct.:)

Thank you, CKCHNG.

Status
Not open for further replies.