Batteries for Flash.

xDreamerZ

May 3, 2011
Disney!
Hi, i am going to buy an SB700 soon but i am not sure which batteries to get. Been looking around and found Eneloop to be quite suitable. However, there are 2 types of Eneloop batteries, 2000mAh w/ 1500 recharge cycles and 2500mAh w/ 500 recharge cycles. So would i be better off with higher power capacity or higher lifespan of the batteries?

I have no idea that's why. ): I don't know which would be more useful, more juice or longer life.

if you are a casual shooter and don't use flash a lot, you will appreciate the batteries is ready whenever you needed,

if you shoot more with flash, you will want your flash to recycle faster and able last for more shots.

Hi there,
I do use flash alot for the shooting and do need bateries with alot of juice and recycle time faster.So,what do you introduce.

Adding onto Catchlight's comments, casual shooter gets Low Self Discharge (LSD) batteries like the Eneloop (Sanyo/Panasonic) and Imedion (Maha Powerex). There are are models from other brands as well (Energizer, GP etc). There is Eneloop 2000mah (hard to find), Eneloop XX 2500mah (not launched in Singapore and is very expensive according to Amazon pricing) and Imedion 2400mah ($19 from Eastgear for pack of 4).

As for recycling faster, not sure which is suitable.

ok,I do understand in the local market.There is alot recharger batteries.So need to chose wisely before buying.

if you are a casual shooter and don't use flash a lot, you will appreciate the batteries is ready whenever you needed,
if you shoot more with flash, you will want your flash to recycle faster and able last for more shots.

Both batteries would be ready whenever i need because both have low self discharge. Yeah, but then the 2/3 more charges available is making me want to buy the 2000mAh. So i was wondering if more juice or lifespan is actually better, if both batteries were able to suit my needs & recharge times, where more juice / lifespan is a plus point for me to consider which type of battery to buy. Thanks. :)

Hi, i am going to buy an SB700 soon but i am not sure which batteries to get. Been looking around and found Eneloop to be quite suitable. However, there are 2 types of Eneloop batteries, 2000mAh w/ 1500 recharge cycles and 2500mAh w/ 500 recharge cycles. So would i be better off with higher power capacity or higher lifespan of the batteries?
The Eneloops are pretty good. So far, I've been using the 2000mAh sets & they have yet to fail me. I do fire full manual on my flash at burst rates occasionally & the recharging time is quite fast, that is on fresh batteries. Usually, on normal shoot, (my flash is a manual flash - YN560), they last quite awhile.

But if you shoot on mostly on TTL, you might want to consider the 2500mAh batterie, but not the XXX, which comes pre-charge & it can hold the charge like the Eneloop 2000aMh. Not sure if TTL drains more juice than firing om manual mode

You can get them both & also the SB700 from ARTWORKFOTO ;)

Adding onto Catchlight's comments, casual shooter gets Low Self Discharge (LSD) batteries like the Eneloop (Sanyo/Panasonic) and Imedion (Maha Powerex). There are are models from other brands as well (Energizer, GP etc). There is Eneloop 2000mah (hard to find), Eneloop XX 2500mah (not launched in Singapore and is very expensive according to Amazon pricing) and Imedion 2400mah ($19 from Eastgear for pack of 4).

As for recycling faster, not sure which is suitable.

I could get the 2500mAh @ here and the 2000mAh @ here too. Heard from my friend that eneloop is also available at Challenger so i'm assuming that normal 2000mAh Eneloop batteries should be available at some major stores.

The Eneloops are pretty good. So far, I've been using the 2000mAh sets & they have yet to fail me. I do fire full manual on my flash at burst rates occasionally & the recharging time is quite fast, that is on fresh batteries. Usually, on normal shoot, (my flash is a manual flash - YN560), they last quite awhile.

But if you shoot on mostly on TTL, you might want to consider the 2500mAh batterie, but not the XXX, which comes pre-charge & it can hold the charge like the Eneloop 2000aMh. Not sure if TTL drains more juice than firing om manual mode

You can get them both & also the SB700 from ARTWORKFOTO ;)

Seems like the 2000mAh batteries are enough for a casual shooter like me, no need the extra juice. Hmm why would you not recommend the 2500mAh XX batteries? Is there other batteries out there with > 2500mAh and have low self discharge? The low self discharge is actually quite important for me cause i don't shoot that often and lazy to recharge my battery every time i want to shoot.

Seems like the 2000mAh batteries are enough for a casual shooter like me, no need the extra juice. Hmm why would you not recommend the 2500mAh XX batteries? Is there other batteries out there with > 2500mAh and have low self discharge? The low self discharge is actually quite important for me cause i don't shoot that often and lazy to recharge my battery every time i want to shoot.
Ya, casual shooter can just stick to the 2000mAh.

I've not seen or used the 2500mAh XXX batteries before. Though I've used the Sanyo NI-MH 2500 before but they don't hold the charges. In the end, I use the 2000aMh batteries.

the normal high mAh batteries don't hold charge well, but they have higher capacity and provide faster recycle rate. these batteries are good for photographers shoot a lots of events, I used to have couple sets of such batteries and I need to charge them before each shoots

the low self discharge batteries are come with the a slightly lower mAh, recently higher mAh for the self discharge batteries are in the market but come with a higher price tag,
the lower mAh (2000 mAh) self discharge batteries is good enough for most causal shooters unless you don't mind to pay a little more additional for higher mAh one.

btw, I do recommend to use a better battery charger, as the charger can use for many years and batteries need to replace when they aged, try not to use fast charging unless it is needed, slow charging will help to prolong battery life.

Hope this help.

Thanks catchlights & madmartian, i guess i'll be getting the 2000mAh Eneloop batteries. :)

I could get the 2500mAh @ here and the 2000mAh @ here too. Heard from my friend that eneloop is also available at Challenger so i'm assuming that normal 2000mAh Eneloop batteries should be available at some major stores.

Thanks for sharing.

Well, I buy whatever is more cost effective at the time of sales. Made-In-Taiwan Imedion works well enough for me to forget about Eneloop in my wet dreams. I am paying less than Eneloop 2000 for my Imedion 2400, go figure.