Batteries for Film SLR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordpain

Feb 22, 2007
Hi guys, I'm deciding to get a film SLR soon, and I realised that there are a number of different batteries to power the different cameras. Some of the most common ones include 2CR5, CR123. Can some of the pros enlighten me regarding the cost of such batteries and more importantly, generally how many rolls can I get out of them. This is to help me determine the total cost of ownership... Also, are there rechargeable ones; would they be most cost effective in the long run?

if you want to save money of battery, get a original batter grip which allows you to use rechargeable AA batteries, but you need to shoot a lot of film to justify the cost of the battery grip.

So if you don't shoot a lot film, just use Alkaline 2CR5, CR123 battery will do. AFAIK, it is not easy and cost effective to get such rechargeable battery.

2CR5 (as used in EOS5)
Home Fix in White Sands: SGD 12.00
Mustafa: SGD 8.50
Due to low demand and long storage some of those batteries might not last very long. Had one lemon from Home Fix (Lasted 1 roll / 4 weeks). Unfortunately no receipt anymore. But they promised exchange if the next one fails the same way. But this one lasts now :bsmilie:

I use CR123. Depends on how frequent you shoot and do you keep metering or focuing and etc. My current ones had already tahan 8 rolls. =) Still can use.

The price ranges are very different. From $6-$11 also have.

Rechargables ones aren't every cost effective too. Unless you want a battery grip, else the smaller the better.

Thanks dudes. Hmm... I guess full mechanical SLRs would be desired in my case. No need to replace batteries so often... Do you think I should invest on a full mechanical one?

EDIT:
Also, I was thinking... wouldn't there be any third party grips available? I shall go google... If any pros got any insights feel free to type away!

Last edited:
Some research actually brought me to an attention towards the nikon f401x. Apparently this camera uses AA batteries without a grip. Does canon have a similar offering?

Thanks dudes. Hmm... I guess full mechanical SLRs would be desired in my case. No need to replace batteries so often... Do you think I should invest on a full mechanical one?

OM-1 completely mechanical and an excellent choice. Will shoot without batteries, except for the light meter and with some experience, "sunny 16" rule will let you judge exposure without light meter too.:thumbsup:

Oh goodness don't get the F401x. It's one of Nikon's ugly beasts during the transition to AF. If you need just a film camera without AF, something like the old Nikon FM2 will do.

Thanks guys for the constructive comments. Regarding the F401x, what are the cons of getting it? Actually, I am already a digital user of Canon EOS, thus I have a set of EF lenses that can be used if I purchase an EF film body, but apparently the cost of batteries is keeping me at bay. On the other hand, getting a FM2 or OM1 would be a good idea, but that means I have to start another lens collection... Anyone got any views?

Thanks guys for the constructive comments. Regarding the F401x, what are the cons of getting it? Actually, I am already a digital user of Canon EOS, thus I have a set of EF lenses that can be used if I purchase an EF film body, but apparently the cost of batteries is keeping me at bay. On the other hand, getting a FM2 or OM1 would be a good idea, but that means I have to start another lens collection... Anyone got any views?

if the cost of batts is keeping you at bay, what more is the cost of film, processing, scanning etc.. get a set of Lithium batts, would last you abt 20 rolls.. or you can get a fixed lens rangefinder if you don't wanna spend so much on a film system..

Since you're already using a Canon system, why not get one of the Canon film SLRs, and add the battery grip to use AA batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.