Batch rename by time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yanyewkay

Sep 22, 2004
Cons digger.
I have photographs taken by 2 or more cameras and want to rename them according to the capture time from the EXIF.

Does anyone knows how to do that?

example:
camera A produces files: IMG_0456.jpg.. and so on
camera B produces files: DSC_5678.jpg
camera C produces files: XXX_2345.jpg

i want to re-organise the photos to be sorted by capture time on the exif and produce
files name PIC_001.jpg, PIC_002.jpg... etc

any idea?

yanyewkay,

Or you could use the Photoshop Navigator (older Photoshop version) or Bridge (newer Photoshop version) to do a batch rename.

mm.. i have Irfanview installed but some how I cannot seem to accustom myself to the UI. :think: thanks for the info. I'll go home and try it out again tonight. :thumbsup: thanks catchlights, jbma, canew and maddog!

i've located the batch rename function in Irfanview.. however it sorts only by date and time of the file. The date of the file does not correspond to the time captured in the exif.

Anyone got any other ideas? Or did I miss out something?

EDIT: I've solved my problem and it just required windows.

Thanks all that helped

Yanyewkay, can you tell us how you did that ? I'm interested ... always thought that the file ordering routines depend on file creation time in Windows, but as you're doing it off Exif data, that's something new.

in windows,
open the folder that contains your pictures and set the view to Details (there are Thumbnails, List, etc..)
along the top, you can sort by name, size, date.. etc.. click on "Date Picture Taken"
now you would have sorted the picture by the Date the picture was taken. This info is taken from the EXIF.

Select the entire list except the thumbs.db
Go back to the top of the list and right click the FIRST file of the list.
Rename it to anything you like eg: project.jpg
The files following will be renamed to project(1).jpg ,project(2).jpg, etc..
NOW, you can sort by file names and rename them in anyway you want with any other programs like Irfanview.

NOTE: the very first file will remain as project.jpg, you might want to rename this to project(0).jpg to maintain the order. :D hope it helps some ppl out there

yanyewkay said:
in windows,
open the folder that contains your pictures and set the view to Details (there are Thumbnails, List, etc..)
along the top, you can sort by name, size, date.. etc.. click on "Date Picture Taken"
now you would have sorted the picture by the Date the picture was taken. This info is taken from the EXIF.

Select the ................................................ :D hope it helps some ppl out there
All along I have been rename only the original files from my 2 cameras, so Irfanview is good enough for me, thanks for sharing the great tips.

Thanks UK.

Thanks, YYK, appreciate it !

Status
Not open for further replies.