Batch raw conversion

jlim76

Sep 14, 2009
Hi all. I have a qn on batch raw conversion and hope to get some answers here.

I'm using Canon's DPP program and also have LR. I would like to know how I should be doing my batch conversion easier because I want to adjust for white balance, but at the same time I can accept the noise reduction from the camera built in jpeg settings so I dun wanna check for NR in every photo in raw.

Mmm after typing then I realize I just want to adjust for white balance, while retaining camera built in adjustments for NR, sharpening, saturation, etc etc.

If this qn belongs in Newbie section please let me know.

Thanks.

Y dun adjust white balance in camera properly before taking the shot?

Anyway here are the steps in batch processing in Lightroom. Applies to all other settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Import the photos into Lightroom

Click Develop at the top right

Select the first picture (or any other, usually just the first) at the bottom thumbnail

Leave ALL other develop settings untouched

Adjust only ur white balance slider, which is the 'Temp'

On the left control panel, click on the + icon on the Preset tab

A new window called New Develop Preset will appear

Type in a name for ur new user preset

Check only the white balance box

Click create

Go back to the left control panel, expand User Preset, and the new preset should be there

Go to the bottom thumbnailed photo

Select all the photos. Ctrl+A

Right click and go to 'develop settings'

Scroll all the way down to ur white balance preset name and select it

All ur photos have been batch processed with white balance

Press Ctrl+D to deselect all the photos, then continue ur viewing from there

Last edited:
Yes I guess I should try out custom white balance first. Btw say indoor pics with flash and without flash using one custom white balance will work?

Thanks for the lightroom tip, I'll try tonite. However, will the other settings NR, Sharpness etc stay as what I set during photo taking say "Standard Setting"?

White balance will correct the colour shift of lighting, regardless of using flash or no flash, to neutral white.

All imported JPEG photo in LR will inherit the properties u set in ur camera, unless u re-change them in LR or camera.

All imported RAW photo in LR will have a default sharpness at level 25 (bumped up by LR).

The steps as describe above, will only change white balance, unless u wanna do another user preset

;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the advise.

Perhaps the best and easiest for my case is to get the white balance right during the shoot. If I have to set NR for each pic from raw and convert to jpeg will be too much hassle.

Similarly for NR, u can use batch processing. I do that for all my photos. It makes my ISO1600 photos looks very clean and nice, especially with LR3 new NR algorithm.

After the needed adjustments to the RAW files in LR, I just export them out to JPEG. Well thats my workflow.

Any shots that needs added creativity will be shortlisted to photoshop.

Ur monitor make sure white appears white and not tinted yellow (due to aging of panel) or cool blue (aging fluorescent light tube) .

This could make ur manual white balance in LR all screwed up when viewed on a proper screen.

Thats y white balance i leave it to the camera, unless the camera didnt do a good job in the calibration.

Last edited:
The monitor, so far so good, white is white regardless viewing on laptop, TV or PC. However the color intensity (saturation) is different on the different devices, but I'm not going to adjust them.

Will try the NR in LR vs NR in DPP. DPP to me is a bit hard to use, I cannot be sure if the batch NR is executed or not.

I Control+Click those photos I want to adjust NR.
Open the Tools window.
Adjust NR slider.
Close the Tools window.
Finished.
So I am unsure if the NR took effect, because if I were to adjust NR on individual photo, it will ask to "Apply" and the laptop will work a little and I could see the NR take effect.

I didnt use DPP before so wun comment on them. NR effect is visible when u zoom into the photo, or when cropping is applied.

Thanks for your input, it was very useful. I'll explore more on LR.

Most welcomed!