Basic Set-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

mynameisjizeng

Aug 10, 2006
Upper Bukit Timah
hi all,

im currently trying to put together a very basic set up for a first-time DSLR user. Won't be used very much, maybe just a few times per month. Purely for interest and non-proffessional use.

1. Nikon D50 Body only - 2nd hand
2. AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED

Is this lens recommended? Compared to the standard 18-55mm kit lens. Quite lazy to keep changing lenses.. haha.

thanks all!

regards,
jizeng

hi all,

im currently trying to put together a very basic set up for a first-time DSLR user. Won't be used very much, maybe just a few times per month. Purely for interest and non-proffessional use.

Is this lens recommended? Compared to the standard 18-55mm kit lens. Quite lazy to keep changing lenses.. haha.

thanks all!

regards,
jizeng

hi all,

thanks all!

regards,
jizeng
IIRC, the 18-135mm is better than 18-55mm. If you can, get 18-70mm.

Regards,
Arto.

Hi,
This lens is good too you can have wide as 18mm and you have enjoy the zoom till 135mm,
This is for a start is good also. there is no such thing as basic lens, all lens has got their own style.
So for the start u have to the best set bro...
Enjoy shooting...

Robert Bleeme

maybe can try get the super zoom one...18-200...

As Roberbe have said ... it is true tt there is no kit lens.

Personally i find tt 18 - 70 mm lens is sufficient.

Maybe u might want to wait a while.. D40 camera may cause D50 prices to drop.

Go for the 18-70 or the 18-135... should be good enuff

if you are on budget
get D50 18-55mm

else, get D50 18-200vr

:) i had 18-55mm 18-70mm and 18-200vr

pretty sure 18-200vr is gooooooooooooood

and 18-55mm is cheeeeeeeeeeeeeap

:)

I think the 18-135 is gd enough.. The TS mentioned that he wun be using the cam very much, maybe just a few times a month.. No point spending more $$ on the 18-200Vr then.. The 18-135 covers quite a gd range liao..:)

As Roberbe have said ... it is true tt there is no kit lens.

Personally i find tt 18 - 70 mm lens is sufficient.

Maybe u might want to wait a while.. D40 camera may cause D50 prices to drop.

I'm not a N user, but based on what I've read, it seems that the D40 is targetting an even lower-end market than the D50. The fact that it has no AF screw as well is kinda ugh.

hello hello all,

im a newbie with a Nikon D50. need some advice on what lenses i should aim to invest in, more for landscape/architecture/people shots.. mostly in low light too.

im currently using
1. 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 ED DX
2. 70-300mm f4-5.6

thinking of getting
1. DX 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 IF-ED VR
2. and one of the following:
-35mm f2D
-24mm f/2.8D
-28mm f/2.8D

pls advise! willing to sell off the lenses that im currently using cuz i understand that there will be some overlap..

oh yeah, also wondering:

if my kit lens is 18-55mm, does it mean that it can go wider than a 24mm wideangle lens? if so then why are wideangle lenses more expensive than a normal kit lens if the quality of the glass is the same?

thanks alot in advance!

regards,
jizeng

hello hello all,

im a newbie with a Nikon D50. need some advice on what lenses i should aim to invest in, more for landscape/architecture/people shots.. mostly in low light too.

im currently using
1. 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 ED DX
2. 70-300mm f4-5.6

thinking of getting
1. DX 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 IF-ED VR
2. and one of the following:
-35mm f2D
-24mm f/2.8D
-28mm f/2.8D

pls advise! willing to sell off the lenses that im currently using cuz i understand that there will be some overlap..

oh yeah, also wondering:

if my kit lens is 18-55mm, does it mean that it can go wider than a 24mm wideangle lens? if so then why are wideangle lenses more expensive than a normal kit lens if the quality of the glass is the same?

thanks alot in advance!

regards,
jizeng

It will be good to invest in a 50mm F1.8 lens. A new one costs only abt $195 (incl filter $10).. but if you are interested in the 50mm F1.4, it wil cost you abt $450. However these 2 lens are always out of stock and you will have to order them beforehand.

I was also told that 17-55mm lens is good for portraits, esp for wedding shots but will cost $2180.

Read up on the lenses you want first.

Coz,

1. on the digital format, it's multiplied by 1.5 crop factor (thus a 18mm digi is equiv to 27mm on film)
2. on certain lenses there are distortion (barrel and pincushion) which will affect architectural shots. You'd also need a good tripod for such shooting. Some even go to tilt/shift lenses to correct the perspective.
3. primes generally have better image quality than zoom lenses and also they normally have a larger aperture too.
4. if you need low light photography, then do consider a large aperture lens (f1.4 or f1.8)

The 18-200 is a good travel piece. BUT it's not a all wonderful lens. Watch the distortion on the wide side.

And if you're pushing for quality. Dun ever go for a super-zoom

Status
Not open for further replies.