Basic Photography Course

Status
Not open for further replies.

truth-photographer

Mar 12, 2005
Hi clubsnapers,

I just return from Australia after completing my studies. Just registered into clubsnap today. Finally found time for my long lost hobby.

I saw there are so many basic photography courses here in Singapore, from Objectifs, The Photographic Society of Singapore, SAFRA, Stanley Lee color centre, Photographer gallery, some freelancers etc.

Spoilt for choice indeed. I went around asking some of my old schoolmates who are also shutterbugs.

I had a look at Objectifs but the price puts me off. I had at look at The Photogrpahic Society of SIngapore, the so called big brother here. Well, sure value for money. I look at Stanley Lee Color centre, in a way, I heard some feedback and no comment. I look at Photographer gallery. It is a nice place to hangout and talk about photography, given its cosy environment. I look at SAFRA. At first, I thought it is for guys only but thank goodness, now they accept ladies.

I am actually looking for a refresher course to get back my basic skills.

Any advise for me? The worst is I have a tour of duty and try everyone. Geez. Anyway, got quite a bit of time while taking a break.

What I want is a credible school where I can further my interest and passion.

Any feedback about the schools?

In a way, I am also surprised that so many people are out to get a share of the pie in basic photography courses. It was so different when I left Singapore then.

I actually narrowed my choices between Objectifs, The Photographic Society of Sinmgapore, and SAFRA.

Objectifs, being a commercial school, focus quite a bit on journalistic style. Quite sad that Kay Chin is not around there. He used to be my idol actually. And certainly, the digital darkroom facilities of the Macs are one of its kind. The shop is closed to Fotohub, hence the convenience. But the price is a bit too high, especially if I want to go for advance courses after the basic one.

The Photographic Society of Singapore, formed 1950, as per the staff Diana, has 6 instructors throughout the basic photography class, which I find pretty interesting. Value for money, and my friend told me there is this young, chubby and yet energetic instructor who never fail to make you enjoy photography.

SAFRA, given its good foundation and funding, with good darkroom and digital facilities, is on my list. One of the instructor seem to be Yip something, quite a senior instructor.

Arghhhh. Wait for your comments before I register.

Hi truth-photographer,

I'm not sure if there is a Stanley Lee Color centre.... :think: but I do know there is a Stanley Lim Colour Center located at 122 Middle Road Midlink Plaza #02-03.

Why don't you drop by one of these afternoon and chit-chat and drink kopi with us ? :)

Oh ya ... not sure if you know or not, we are having a Free Workshop for Newbies on 200305. If you are interested, please sms Joanne @ 98583502 to comfirm a place (3pm-5pm) :)

geez. Apologies for the wrong spelling. Too many schools that made me a little confused.

And in a nutshell, it seems that SLCC has many different user names in clubsnap. I am trying to filter them out. I prefer honest postings from real genuine clubsnappers. This forum should not be misused.

Come on...... this is irritating! Anyway, good marketing effort though.

Anyway, thanks, Blitz, I will probably give it a miss. One of my friends attended the workshop at SLCC previously. She is helping me with some advice.

Yes please come down for a CUP COFFEE at Stanley Lee Colour.......opppps sorry pardon my wrong spelling, it's STANLEY LIM COLOUR CENTRE.

Basically every institution has their their plus and minus. No school/institution in this world is perfect my friend. I too studied in Australia for many years like you too.

I have been around in Singapore scene for quite sometime now and you want to know the truth about learning photography? Is not an overnight thing. It took many years for me to learn and master the basics/foundation of photography and I am still learning up till today. It's not self thought but a good guidance will make your photographic skills better.

Your female friend attended in the workshop. Well it's a workshop after all. Not a course. There is a big differance. Courses last at least a few weeks. Workshop last a few hours.

You will learn from any institution that you attend. Whether it's Objectifs, SAFRA, PSS, Stanley Lee Colour.....opps sorry pardon me again......it's Stanley Lim Colour Centre. Geezz....I didn't know there are SO many photographic schools in Singapore....hmm seems like there is about 4-5 of them. LOL

Everybody have a different opinion about every institution they went to. Some feel they learn something, some don't. If you really think you can find an answer from here, you better hold on to your horses. I can bet with you that everyone in CS that has attended the institution you mentioned will come up with many reasons to attend it. And you will get more confused yourself. Is it so difficult to choose which one you want to go thru since you have narrowed down to 3?

truth-photographer said:
And in a nutshell, it seems that SLCC has many different user names in clubsnap. I am trying to filter them out. I prefer honest postings from real genuine clubsnappers. This forum should not be misused.

Come on...... this is irritating! Anyway, good marketing effort though.
Our family network is very huge. You cannot filter us out as we help one another. We at Stanley Lim Colour Centre know each other very well. So of course we all know who's who is involve in our network. You don't have to worry about that. Let our management side do their job.

The MOST imporatant thing is we make sure all our participants that attended our courses walk out with a smile on their face. It's very clear cut. If you are confused, please drop by.

We will not misuse the forum for no reason. There is the Moderators and Admins looking after the site. We respect them. So if there was one, they will know about it.

As you are NEW to CS, welcome welcome.......

Thank you for your time and we hope that you will make a wise decision.

Pro Image said:
Yes please come down for a CUP COFFEE at Stanley Lee Colour.......opppps sorry pardon my wrong spelling, it's STANLEY LIM COLOUR CENTRE.

Basically every institution has their their plus and minus. No school/institution in this world is perfect my friend. I too studied in Australia for many years like you too.

I have been around in Singapore scene for quite sometime now and you want to know the truth about learning photography? Is not an overnight thing. It took many years for me to learn and master the basics/foundation of photography and I am still learning up till today. It's not self thought but a good guidance will make your photographic skills better.

Your female friend attended in the workshop. Well it's a workshop after all. Not a course. There is a big differance. Courses last at least a few weeks. Workshop last a few hours.

You will learn from any institution that you attend. Whether it's Objectifs, SAFRA, PSS, Stanley Lee Colour.....opps sorry pardon me again......it's Stanley Lim Colour Centre. Geezz....I didn't know there are SO many photographic schools in Singapore....hmm seems like there is about 4-5 of them. LOL

Everybody have a different opinion about every institution they went to. Some feel they learn something, some don't. If you really think you can find an answer from here, you better hold on to your horses. I can bet with you that everyone in CS that has attended the institution you mentioned will come up with many reasons to attend it. And you will get more confused yourself. Is it so difficult to choose which one you want to go thru since you have narrowed down to 3?

Our family network is very huge. You cannot filter us out as we help one another. We at Stanley Lim Colour Centre know each other very well. So of course we all know who's who is involve in our network. You don't have to worry about that. Let our management side do their job.

The MOST imporatant thing is we make sure all our participants that attended our courses walk out with a smile on their face. It's very clear cut. If you are confused, please drop by.

We will not misuse the forum for no reason. There is the Moderators and Admins looking after the site. We respect them. So if there was one, they will know about it.

As you are NEW to CS, welcome welcome.......

Thank you for your time and we hope that you will make a wise decision.

Well well, we have ProImage, Blitz, Toto, Blurblock from SLCC. I hate it when people are dishonest. If you are from there, and promote their activities, just admit it.

My friend actually went for the basic course which has the outing component. I suppose that is the course which you are referring to. Thanks for the invitation and it is sure a real marketing effort. But I will give it a miss.

I am actually looking at the 3 which I narrowed down based on their track record, experience of instructors and infracture, and of course, prestige.

And in a way, I am also quite curious why the other schools hardly post any ad here in CS? It seems that CS forum for courses is beginning more like a PSS or SLCC forum.

Pro Image said:

I actually come to know of so many schools after grabbing a copy of a magazine call PhotoI from a lab. And yeah, I am surprised it is free, in a place call Singapore. Pretty informative magazine. I think I will subscribe.

Even freelancers are teaching basic photography nowadays! :bsmilie:

Just found another one. www.jmpjoseph.com . Found this school something like Joseph Master Photographer. They offer diploma, a JMP diploma! Not sure how valid it is. Teacher is an elderly man name Joseph Tan. This is indeed interesting. Looks like more research can be done on the schools. :angel:

By the way, I heard that NAFA has a new building at Middle Road. Will check it out if they have any part time courses.

Probably at the same time, drop by PSS and see what they have also. I wonder if Mr Bean cafe is still there. I remembered it is of the same building as PSS. Went to PSS website and it is the same yellow colour building. Quite miss the place, as it is a good place to spend the afternoon in, sipping coffee and letting time past. Hope it is still the same, as cosy as ever.

As for SAFRA, you can contact Lawrence. Yes, Mr Yip Hoi Kee (his picture is in the recent issue of Photoi), one of the Hasel masters is teaching there.

Are you Hilarion Goh? You are featured in the PhotoI too, right?

By the way, where is SAFRA located now? Any bus-stop or MRT?

Hmmm, which page? I cannot find Yip on PhotoI.

Well, you are sure an early bird, waking up so early.

truth-photographer said:
Hmmm, which page? I cannot find Yip on PhotoI.

Well, you are sure an early bird, waking up so early.
I am also one of the early bird. It would be nice to know some of the names of elderly gurus with more than 15 years of teaching photography.

By far with respect Mr. Yip Hoi Kee is one of the dedicated gurus with more than 20 years of teaching Basic Photography here in Singapore.

truth-photographer said:
Well well, we have ProImage, Blitz, Toto, Blurblock from SLCC. I hate it when people are dishonest. If you are from there, and promote their activities, just admit it.

My friend actually went for the basic course which has the outing component. I suppose that is the course which you are referring to. Thanks for the invitation and it is sure a real marketing effort. But I will give it a miss.

I am actually looking at the 3 which I narrowed down based on their track record, experience of instructors and infracture, and of course, prestige.

And in a way, I am also quite curious why the other schools hardly post any ad here in CS? It seems that CS forum for courses is beginning more like a PSS or SLCC forum.

Hmmmm ..... how did my nick get involved in this? Did you see me promoting their courses to you? I hated it when people point fingers at me for no reason.

Toto38 is the owner of Stanley Lim Colour Centre, ProImage is the most senior instructor there at SLCC, Blitz28 is the new instructor for basic course there, the previous instructor who was teaching basics photography, probably the one that instructed your friend, left. I think it is normal they promote their courses to you. I did not teach there, I never did. Do your research carefully. I never mentioned anything about their course before too, other then the fact 1 keeps the group small, and PSS preferred interaction between students by keeping the group relatively big.

Anyway, you mentioned you already have basic knowledge of photography, you just need some refresher course. Then frankly speaking, a course is not required for you. You just need some one to jog your memories. However, if you really want a full blown course, I think PSS course will suit you the best, since what you need is someone to refresh your memories and not a full basic training as per say.

Steven Yee and I do not get along pretty well, by basis of our training, he is trained in Engineering while I am more towards information systems and archival sciences. We had our differences in the view of "Hidden Cost" too. But despise all those, I find him a rather good person to exchange views, especially in the arena of advancement of technology and its impact on photography. He is pretty up to date in the latest digital photography technology and techniques too. You might like to have a chat with him on Friday where he is most probably at PSS for their weekly review sessions with their Ex-students and find out more about his course.

I am quite sure you can get the best of out his course too. If I remember correctly, he is a string of titles in photography too. I did not had any dealing with the other instructors, thus can't comment on them. But I am quite sure you will have a satisfying period if you chose PSS.

BTW, the reason why it had relegated to PSS and SLCC promoting their courses here is because the other school just post and do not bother to check their thread, but expecting prospective students to call their office.

truth-photographer said:

Hi truth photographer, welcome to clubsnap.... great to know that you're looking for a course and want to do a refresher course on photography.....

I think it's fair that you do not call other people names if u are unsure of who these people are..... Pro Image, Toto38, Blurblock and Blitz are all from SLCC and are all _DIFFERENT_ people.... I know all of them personally too... and there are many other people here in this forum who do too...

IMHO, they are all really nice people.... and the last thing they are is being dishonest.... if you do not know them then please dun call people names... :rolleyes: :dunno:

We are many many people here in this forum who have signed up for their courses (me being one of them as well) and the SLCC people are definitely not what you put them out to be.

You can go ahead and look for the course of your dreams and please do not base the school's reputation just on what other people say but find out for yourself. You should call up all the institutions and find out about the courses so that you know what they are offering. Find out about the costs and if there are any other costs that you need to pay apart from the course fee.

Btw, I am not working in SLCC..... As I mentioned I'm just one of the their students... and friend as well..

Hope you find the course that you're looking for! :)

bja said:
Pro Image, Toto38, Blurblock and Blitz are all from SLCC and are all _DIFFERENT_ people....

Oops, just to clarify that actually Blurblock is not really one of the instructors there but he is always around SLCC... hence I associated him with being from SLCC as well. ;p Well actually, we're all part of SLCC's family when we join their courses.... :D

Enjoy finding ur course! :)

blurblock said:
Steven Yee and I do not get along pretty well, by basis of our training, he is trained in Engineering while I am more towards information systems and archival sciences. We had our differences in the view of "Hidden Cost" too. But despise all those, I find him a rather good person to exchange views, especially in the arena of advancement of technology and its impact on photography. He is pretty up to date in the latest digital photography technology and techniques too. You might like to have a chat with him on Friday where he is most probably at PSS for their weekly review sessions with their Ex-students and find out more about his course.

I am quite sure you can get the best of out his course too. If I remember correctly, he is a string of titles in photography too. I did not had any dealing with the other instructors, thus can't comment on them. But I am quite sure you will have a satisfying period if you chose PSS.

Morning blurblock.

Well, of course once in a while we will have disagreement, but we are all friends at CS.

Dear truth-photographer,

PSS is a non-profit organisation, founded in 1950 with the aim to promote photography as a people's art in Singapore. It is centrally located at downtown Selegie Road with proximity to Dhoby Ghaut MRT. The clubhouse is housed in Selegie Arts Centre, as part of the National Arts Council arts housing scheme. Yes, we are above Mr Bean cafe, and we are both tenants of the arts building.

As a member (where you pay $80 for 2 years), you shall gain access to many seminars, talks, exhibitions, and courses at attractive members' rate. We welcome you to be our member.

The digital basic photography course at PSS might be what you are looking for actually. It runs through 12 lessons ($144), taught by 5 different instructors for the digital version of basic course. This way, you shall get to have a unique experience being taught by different instructors with different styles. This is a pretty good exposure. During the course, the class is split into smaller groups for the purpose of better interaction and to do some fun projects. There shall be a course assessment where you submit your portfolio of 6 works. Successful submissions shall receive a certificate from the Society.

After the basic photography class, we have a wide range of advance courses which you may choose whichever to specialize in. We also have Distinction application for Licentiate, Associate and Fellowship for members to apply. Besides the PSS Distinction, we can assist you in applying for oversea honours from clubs like The Royal Photographic Society of Great Britain, where the two clubs have always been on good terms.

Another benefit as a member is you shall get to join us for the weekly Friday evening Photo Clinic session, where members can bring their works to PSS for the instructors to critique and comment on for improvement. This session is FREE.

We are open everyday.

Operation hours:
Monday to Friday 2pm to 10pm
Sat & Sun 12pm to 6pm
closed on public holiday
Tel: 63343361
email: pss1950@singnet.com.sg
You can look for Diana or Kellyn

Hope to see you at PSS and we shall welcome you to join PSS's big family. Our membership strength now stands at about 1900. Our track record has proven to be the choice for a place to enjoy photography. Our Basic photography course starts every month.

See ya.

In a nutshell, I supposed your friend must have attended my lessons. I shed some weight recently and a little less chubby (politically correct term for "fat"). haha. ;)

truth-photographer said:
Well well, we have ProImage, Blitz, Toto, Blurblock from SLCC. I hate it when people are dishonest. If you are from there, and promote their activities, just admit it.Come on...... this is irritating! Anyway, good marketing effort though.

truth-photographer said:

That is uncalled for :nono: how you term dishonest in this case ? This is unfair to anyone , not only to the pple at SLCC, but to those who had taken up their course. Pls get your facts right before labeling people as dishonest.

Some Photography club had serveral nicks too , you just dun term them as dishonest wouldn't you ? Anyway good luck on your quest for a suitable course.

poohbear said:
That is uncalled for :nono: how you term dishonest in this case ? This is unfair to anyone , not only to the pple at SLCC, but to those who had taken up their course. Pls get your facts right before labeling people as dishonest.

Some Photography club had serveral nicks too , you just dun term them as dishonest wouldn't you ? Anyway good luck on your quest for a suitable course.

Cool down, pooh bear. She just touched down and new to the forum. Don't scare this lady lah.

Anyway, her candidness and frankness earn my respect for her in some ways. But just need to be a little tactful with her posts. She should be alright over time.

I think we should give her encouragement and help her settle down. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.