Basic: How to hold your camera?

Aaronlim81

Jul 1, 2010
Singapore, Bukit Panjang
Erm pls don't shoot me guys, Sorry if it was a repeated question. Just wanna hear more about the technique you guys use. Not everyone using the same method i believe. I've try upgrading 3 camera body and sigma 150-500 to canon 100-400 within 3 months. Now I admit I am the only cause that make the picture blur. I m sure that my setting was right, pump up shutter speed to about 1000 to minmise shake but I realise that my hand is always shaking just before shooting? I also find that I am grabing the camera very firm. Pls share with me how you minimise the shake. . Thanks.:dunno::sweat:

Erm pls don't shoot me guys, Sorry if it was a repeated question. Just wanna hear more about the technique you guys use. Not everyone using the same method i believe. I've try upgrading 3 camera body and sigma 150-500 to canon 100-400 within 3 months. Now I admit I am the only cause that make the picture blur. I m sure that my setting was right, pump up shutter speed to about 1000 to minmise shake but I realise that my hand is always shaking just before shooting? I also find that I am grabing the camera very firm. Pls share with me how you minimise the shake. . Thanks.:dunno::sweat:

Other than what is mentioned above, you can tuck your hand in, making it near your body, this will reduce shake. Breathing technique too, try holding your breath when you shutter. If there are objects to lean against or support your hands, try to make use of them.

A few advises,

1) Use a tripod
2) Use a monopod
3) try to use anything (from railings to tree trunks, etc) as support. Rest your elbows on these objects as you take the photo.

If all these are not available, then tuck your left elbow (depending on if you are right handed or left handed) in onto your body, this hand is use to support and turn the lens or adjust the lens, your right hand (left hand if you are left handed) should hold the camera body lightly.

When you squeeze your shutter release, do not snap at it, release it slowly (like what we learn in the army when firing our M16).

Of course your breathing exercise is very important too.

Anyway, it would take alot of practice... and I am still practicing... that is why most of my photo came out with some motion blur... but I feel that I might be slowly getting there :lovegrin:

Thanks for the replies guys. Now then I know I need to release shutter slowly. Anyway my bad for not doing some search in YouTube. Anyway releasing shutter slowing really works! :thumbsup: Will keep practising on it.:sweatsm:

1.6 crop factor body with a 100-400 zoom? steady handholding will be an issue with alot of people ... not just you.... so dont worry, you are not alone :)

get above suggested aids ..... and maybe a homemade beanbag too

1.6 crop factor body with a 100-400 zoom? steady handholding will be an issue with alot of people ... not just you.... so dont worry, you are not alone :)

get above suggested aids ..... and maybe a homemade beanbag too

Lol most probably need to train more squeezing exercise...:sweatsm::lovegrin: